• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LHN94

LHN94

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:13 AM

Cody Brewer has been elevated from volunteer to assistant. The article mentions Mike McMullen leaving coaching. Anyone know details about that?

https://www.teamusa....at-Northwestern

#2 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,487 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:33 AM

Man, McMullen's sweater game is not going to be easily replaced.  A void for all of collegiate wrestling imo...

#3 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:55 AM

NW was one of the great stories in D1 last season.  They'd taken a lot of hits yet suddenly emerged with a competitive squad stocked with some terrific young talent.  Kudos to all their coaches.  Obviously, Brewer is one of the reasons.

#4 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:24 AM

Brewer was always fun to watch

#5 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:55 AM

They have a great young coaching staff.  Andrew Howe was pretty much a Pritzlaff protege.  Pritzlaff has proven to be a very solid mat coach.  Howe appears to be trending in that direction.

When Pariano left, very few gave Storniolo much of a chance.  It seems he has really got things moving in the right direction quickly!

• silver-medal, MikePorcelli and pamela like this

#6 Fletcher

Fletcher

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:02 PM

NW was one of the great stories in D1 last season.  They'd taken a lot of hits yet suddenly emerged with a competitive squad stocked with some terrific young talent.  Kudos to all their coaches.  Obviously, Brewer is one of the reasons.

Would've looked even better still with Micic in the line-up.

#7 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:05 AM

NW kids don't seem to want to coach all that much, huh? McMullan probably found there wasn't enough green stuff in his future as a coach, same as Jake Herbert. 

I enjoyed McMullan's "scrapper" mentality. Still remember that tall, kinda skinny HWT he was when wrestling as a FR!

Regarding Howe, I have to say his mat work was never that impressive to me. His takedowns were outstanding, though. His wrestling style changed a whole lot from his FR year at Wisconsin to his SR year at OU.

Edited by TobusRex, 26 May 2018 - 01:11 AM.

#8 oldcougar

oldcougar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:22 AM

I actually coached Storniolo when he was 6-7 years old.  Even then I told his mother he was going to be a star.  He could fold his body like a pretzel and come out the other side. 

I too thought he didn't have much of a chance to succeed, given the state of NW's team when he took over. But he certainly has it moving in the right direction.  

I haven't reported my missing credit card to the police because whoever stole it is spending less than my wife.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users