Sign in to follow this  
spladle08

Senior World Team

Dake did lose in the Yarygin finals to Gadzhimagomedov.  But Gadz is ranked 1st in the international rankings, Dake 2nd.  So he's a pretty solid bet despite that loss.  It's not a particularly strong or deep weight class, a lot of tweeners.  

Gadz is legit though. Hasn't lost in a while but he doesn't look the same when he cuts down to 74.  IMO he's better than Tsabalov.

So we are like 6 hours away, and Imar's talk has convinced me he has a chance, I'm raising his chances from 1% to 5% to unseat JB
I couldn't be more excited for  tonight. Fix vs Gillman ...man... excited 

And yes, there is no doubt about it, Cox is the most under-rated US wrestler. 
He medals at world level championships, and he doesn't lose domestically, I know Taylor has more flash, but in the end.. you can tech/pin all the domestic guys you want (foreign as well this year), if you still haven't even made a team, you can't be considered better than the guy who did, especially if he beat you in a best of 3.

Hope they both medal this year, I think they have roughly the same % chance, I just don't think Cox is 100% locked in until it matters and when the lights are on, he is as good as anyone. 

So we are like 6 hours away, and Imar's talk has convinced me he has a chance, I'm raising his chances from 1% to 5% to unseat JB

I couldn't be more excited for tonight. Fix vs Gillman ...man... excited

And yes, there is no doubt about it, Cox is the most under-rated US wrestler.

He medals at world level championships, and he doesn't lose domestically, I know Taylor has more flash, but in the end.. you can tech/pin all the domestic guys you want (foreign as well this year), if you still haven't even made a team, you can't be considered better than the guy who did, especially if he beat you in a best of 3.

Hope they both medal this year, I think they have roughly the same % chance, I just don't think Cox is 100% locked in until it matters and when the lights are on, he is as good as anyone.

It would fun if Imar made it interesting, maybe the first 3 minutes of the first. I like him a lot bt I just don't see it. I am also excited about Gilman and Fix, especially since it is best of three. Fix seems to adapt well if he struggles in the first match.

It would fun if Imar made it interesting, maybe the first 3 minutes of the first. I like him a lot bt I just don't see it. I am also excited about Gilman and Fix, especially since it is best of three. Fix seems to adapt well if he struggles in the first match.

Its been awhile since U23's Trials  but the way Nato was able to get to that lead leg, has me a little concerned. I try to tell myself "At that level everyone has a go-to attack, so 1 guy getting to a leg shouldn't worry you that much, because nobody else does on Fix" , but friggin Gilman's single just seems unstoppable (to keep him from getting to) Hoping Fix can take that Takahashi approach and score anytime Gillman shoots. Honestly...I think it goes three, I think Gillman bullies one of the matches with pushouts (probably the first)...... and fingers crossed I'm wrong on both counts and Fix wins 10-0 10-0 :)  

Why are people surprised by this? He's done it every time they've ever met. I would put Coon as middle of the road among our top 25 Greco talents. And all but a couple of those don't come close to medaling and get big brothered at worlds. Robbie is one of the rare medal threats we have so it follows that he'll make one of our ho-hum Greco talents look awkward.

Coon is my favorite wrestler as far as the seniors go but imo he's closer to beating Gwiz than he is Robbie. Granted we don't really have any data on them in freestyle, but going by their folkstyle results I'll stand by my opinion. Greco is so technical and Robbie has been doing it a long time. I think Coon has more potential but right now I don't think he's that close to beating Robbie. One interesting fact which most of you may not know but, when Coon won his Cadet World Title in freestyle, he pinned Petrishvili in the finals.

Edited by ConnorsDad

Today:

Gilman in 3

Green in 3

JB in 2

Snyder in 2

Petty sure Gilman & Green won in 2.

Edit: by the timing of the post, that was a prediction. My bad.

Edited by Show_Me

Yes. It was a prediction. Gave Fix a little too much credit even though I felt it was a terrible matchup for him and Infigured Chambo knowing Green well might be able to sneak one out on him. But by virtue of everyone hating Gilman I might be one of the few who got the winners right so far. Gilman is a lot better than most believe. Very intelligent wrestler who makes the most of what he has.

Gilman's just better than Fix right now, and his match strategy is excellent.  May not stay that way forever, but it's definitely true today.  Fix was never particularly close to generating his own offense, Gilman was on several occasions.

Gilman's just better than Fix right now, and his match strategy is excellent.  May not stay that way forever, but it's definitely true today.  Fix was never particularly close to generating his own offense, Gilman was on several occasions.

Huge Fix homer but can't argue, in the same breath, I've still pro-Gilman, he's really grown on me over the last year, he may not ever beat Takahashi, but hes a coinflip with most everyone else. I think he has a good shot at another medal, obviously draw is huge, but it is for most everyone 

Gilman can beat Takahashi but in order to do so, he has to employ a similar strategy to his mentor Terry Brands. Terry was never the fastest or most technical guy, but he took people out of their comfort zone and forced them to respond to constant pressure in a way that Gilman never does. When you wrestled Terry, you were in for a fight every second of the match, and it's hard to be slick when a guy with an endless gas tank and solid position is all over you constantly. Gilman has the physical tools to overwhelm and his core strength is staying in good position even when tired. He has to have a different game plan. Sitting there and handfighting Takahashi is just playing right into Takahashi's strengths as the quicker, more technical wrestler. GIlman has to make it a brawl to give himself a real chance.

Or keep from being scored on himself and win by pushout. Not a pretty way to win, but Gilman has the tank, the strength, and the patience to pull it off on his best day. Against a master technician like Takahashi, it may be his best “shot” at a victory.