• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:06 AM

I agree with Mspart.  Taylor has been wrestling on a level that is WC calibre.  He already owns an individual win over Cox.  The place that he's at psychologically right now, as well as physically, puts him in a situation and position to be the best on the team, not named Kyle Snyder.  

To "laugh heartily" at the concept that "Taylor isn't beating Cox" is a bit foolish. Things change.  Variables change.  Dynamics change.  Considering that they were literally a hair apart in their matches, and that DT of "now" is a better version compared to the DT of "then", yeah... 

Regardless...  Having a JG/JB/KD/DT/JC/KS/NG lineup from 70kg thru HWT is going to be a AWESOME.

Agreed.

mspart

#42 KCMO2

KCMO2

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:24 AM

Well, I was being a little funny with that one.  But with Taylor being a wrecking crew at Yarygin, the toughest tournament in the world, and at the World Cup, yeah, I would think it would cross someone's mind to go up a weight where it is easier to make the weight rather than defend the weight you have wrestled at for the last 3 years.  I'm glad of the new weight because we are almost guaranteed to have them both on the team winning medals.  

With regard to could Taylor beat Cox?  I think he has turned the corner and is on a veritable mission now.  I don't think anyone stops him in the US.  That is my opinion, not based on what happened in the trials last year, but based on what Taylor has been doing since.  I never was a Taylor fan but nobody has turned things around like he has this year.  Again, that is just my opinion.

mspart 

I would agree that Taylor is capable of beating Cox, and that he has definitely stepped up his game, but I would still put my money on Cox in a 2 out of 3.  And I think there's no way in hell that Cox was running from Taylor.

And like you, I'm not a DT fan.  After his embarrassing and unsportsmanlike behavior last year,  I'll cheer on a class act like Cox any day over DT.

Edited by KCMO2, 08 June 2018 - 09:25 AM.

• cjc007 and wrestlingnerd like this

#43 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:57 AM

I would agree that Taylor is capable of beating Cox, and that he has definitely stepped up his game, but I would still put my money on Cox in a 2 out of 3.  And I think there's no way in hell that Cox was running from Taylor.

And like you, I'm not a DT fan.  After his embarrassing and unsportsmanlike behavior last year,  I'll cheer on a class act like Cox any day over DT.

I cannot fault you at all in what you say.  Taylor did not represent himself well that is for sure.  Cox is a class act I agree.

mspart

#44 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,910 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:16 AM

I stand by my contention Cox is our most under rated, and under appreciated wrestler. But I get it, you know, Olympic medal, world medal, stellar NCAA credentials..... guy is a bit of a scrub.
  • cjc007 and ArianaGrande like this

#45 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,910 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:17 AM

I stand by my contention Cox is our most under rated, and under appreciated wrestler. But I get it, you know, Olympic medal, world medal, stellar NCAA credentials..... guy is a bit of a scrub.

#46 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:36 AM

Cox is incredible.  I agree.  I just think Taylor has turned the corner on him.  I could be wrong on that, just my opinion.  I think we are going to have a killer team with Green, Burroughs, Dake (or Zahid), Taylor, Cox, Snyder, and Gwiz there.  I don't see any of these not being at the WC.  That is 7 of 10 weights where I think we should be favored to get a medal. 

The complaint years ago going from 10 to 8 weights, and then to 6 weights was that it did not give many people the opportunity.  I think we are seeing an exceptional result coming out of going back to 10 weights now.  This team is just killer.  

mspart

#47 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,910 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:58 AM

Yeah, Dake and Taylor, the turned the corner Guys who have yet to beat out Cox or Burroughs to make a world team.
  • cjc007 likes this

#48 Alwayswrestling

Alwayswrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:40 PM

My picks Gilman 2-0
Colon 2 out of 3
McKenna 2 out of 3
Green 2-0
Burroughs 2-0
Dake 2-0
Taylor 2-0
Cox 2-0
Snyder 2-0
Gwiz 2-0

#49 bwh27

bwh27

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:23 PM

Said WC, meant Yarygin. You are correct. 

Dake did lose in the Yarygin finals to Gadzhimagomedov.  But Gadz is ranked 1st in the international rankings, Dake 2nd.  So he's a pretty solid bet despite that loss.  It's not a particularly strong or deep weight class, a lot of tweeners.  

#50 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:27 PM

The closer this gets the more I want to pick McKenna

#51 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:00 AM

Dake did lose in the Yarygin finals to Gadzhimagomedov.  But Gadz is ranked 1st in the international rankings, Dake 2nd.  So he's a pretty solid bet despite that loss.  It's not a particularly strong or deep weight class, a lot of tweeners.  

Gadz is legit though. Hasn't lost in a while but he doesn't look the same when he cuts down to 74.  IMO he's better than Tsabalov.

#52 spladle08

spladle08

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:36 AM

So we are like 6 hours away, and Imar's talk has convinced me he has a chance, I'm raising his chances from 1% to 5% to unseat JB
I couldn't be more excited for  tonight. Fix vs Gillman ...man... excited 

And yes, there is no doubt about it, Cox is the most under-rated US wrestler. 
He medals at world level championships, and he doesn't lose domestically, I know Taylor has more flash, but in the end.. you can tech/pin all the domestic guys you want (foreign as well this year), if you still haven't even made a team, you can't be considered better than the guy who did, especially if he beat you in a best of 3.

Hope they both medal this year, I think they have roughly the same % chance, I just don't think Cox is 100% locked in until it matters and when the lights are on, he is as good as anyone. 

#53 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,910 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:44 AM

So we are like 6 hours away, and Imar's talk has convinced me he has a chance, I'm raising his chances from 1% to 5% to unseat JB
I couldn't be more excited for tonight. Fix vs Gillman ...man... excited

And yes, there is no doubt about it, Cox is the most under-rated US wrestler.
He medals at world level championships, and he doesn't lose domestically, I know Taylor has more flash, but in the end.. you can tech/pin all the domestic guys you want (foreign as well this year), if you still haven't even made a team, you can't be considered better than the guy who did, especially if he beat you in a best of 3.

Hope they both medal this year, I think they have roughly the same % chance, I just don't think Cox is 100% locked in until it matters and when the lights are on, he is as good as anyone.

It would fun if Imar made it interesting, maybe the first 3 minutes of the first. I like him a lot bt I just don't see it. I am also excited about Gilman and Fix, especially since it is best of three. Fix seems to adapt well if he struggles in the first match.
  • spladle08 likes this

#54 spladle08

spladle08

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:50 AM

It would fun if Imar made it interesting, maybe the first 3 minutes of the first. I like him a lot bt I just don't see it. I am also excited about Gilman and Fix, especially since it is best of three. Fix seems to adapt well if he struggles in the first match.

Its been awhile since U23's Trials  but the way Nato was able to get to that lead leg, has me a little concerned. I try to tell myself "At that level everyone has a go-to attack, so 1 guy getting to a leg shouldn't worry you that much, because nobody else does on Fix" , but friggin Gilman's single just seems unstoppable (to keep him from getting to) Hoping Fix can take that Takahashi approach and score anytime Gillman shoots. Honestly...I think it goes three, I think Gillman bullies one of the matches with pushouts (probably the first)...... and fingers crossed I'm wrong on both counts and Fix wins 10-0 10-0 :)  

• Cletus_Tucker likes this

#55 ConnorsDad

ConnorsDad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 728 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:10 AM

Why are people surprised by this? He's done it every time they've ever met. I would put Coon as middle of the road among our top 25 Greco talents. And all but a couple of those don't come close to medaling and get big brothered at worlds. Robbie is one of the rare medal threats we have so it follows that he'll make one of our ho-hum Greco talents look awkward.

Coon is my favorite wrestler as far as the seniors go but imo he's closer to beating Gwiz than he is Robbie. Granted we don't really have any data on them in freestyle, but going by their folkstyle results I'll stand by my opinion. Greco is so technical and Robbie has been doing it a long time. I think Coon has more potential but right now I don't think he's that close to beating Robbie. One interesting fact which most of you may not know but, when Coon won his Cadet World Title in freestyle, he pinned Petrishvili in the finals.

Edited by ConnorsDad, 09 June 2018 - 09:11 AM.

• spladle08 likes this

#56 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:37 AM

Cox has been working with Oriental Zen Masters to perfect his sweating technique so no opponent can hold him.

#57 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,728 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:59 AM

Today:

Gilman in 3

Green in 3

JB in 2

Snyder in 2

#58 Show_Me

Show_Me

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:54 PM

Today:
Gilman in 3
Green in 3
JB in 2
Snyder in 2

Petty sure Gilman & Green won in 2.
Edit: by the timing of the post, that was a prediction. My bad.

Edited by Show_Me, 09 June 2018 - 02:57 PM.

#59 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,728 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:37 PM

Yes. It was a prediction. Gave Fix a little too much credit even though I felt it was a terrible matchup for him and Infigured Chambo knowing Green well might be able to sneak one out on him. But by virtue of everyone hating Gilman I might be one of the few who got the winners right so far. Gilman is a lot better than most believe. Very intelligent wrestler who makes the most of what he has.

#60 VakAttack

VakAttack

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 23,924 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:27 PM

Gilman's just better than Fix right now, and his match strategy is excellent.  May not stay that way forever, but it's definitely true today.  Fix was never particularly close to generating his own offense, Gilman was on several occasions.

Collegiate Wrestling's Premier Thought Leader

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users