• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 spladle08

spladle08

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:47 AM

Gilman's just better than Fix right now, and his match strategy is excellent.  May not stay that way forever, but it's definitely true today.  Fix was never particularly close to generating his own offense, Gilman was on several occasions.

Huge Fix homer but can't argue, in the same breath, I've still pro-Gilman, he's really grown on me over the last year, he may not ever beat Takahashi, but hes a coinflip with most everyone else. I think he has a good shot at another medal, obviously draw is huge, but it is for most everyone 

#62 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:27 AM

Gilman can beat Takahashi but in order to do so, he has to employ a similar strategy to his mentor Terry Brands. Terry was never the fastest or most technical guy, but he took people out of their comfort zone and forced them to respond to constant pressure in a way that Gilman never does. When you wrestled Terry, you were in for a fight every second of the match, and it's hard to be slick when a guy with an endless gas tank and solid position is all over you constantly. Gilman has the physical tools to overwhelm and his core strength is staying in good position even when tired. He has to have a different game plan. Sitting there and handfighting Takahashi is just playing right into Takahashi's strengths as the quicker, more technical wrestler. GIlman has to make it a brawl to give himself a real chance.

#63 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,475 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

Gilman can get to Takahashi's leg, he has proven that.  When that happens though Takahashi is usually the one who scores.  He has to be able to finish. 

#64 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:31 AM

Or keep from being scored on himself and win by pushout. Not a pretty way to win, but Gilman has the tank, the strength, and the patience to pull it off on his best day. Against a master technician like Takahashi, it may be his best “shot” at a victory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users