Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Bo Nickal wins Wade Schalles Award

Bo has some similarities to Wade. 

They are both trying to pin you all the time, and from any position.   Now.  Not in a three move sequence from now, and not when you are worn down and ready to go over.  It's always Now.

Fun to watch.  Hell to wrestle. 

Edited by OldGrappler

Noodle arm took home the Schalles! Good for Bo, love watching him wrestle...he always brings it! He cracks me up because Bo doesn't look all that imposing. Looks more like a member of the soccer team.

That video makes me wonder how Lynyrd Skynyrd ever got their version out of that old Jimmie Rogers tune.  Just sayin' - I like the Lynyrd Skynyrd version better. 

Kudo's to Bo.  I don't like him really, but he is an awesome wrestler.  Too bad he didn't go freestyle this time. 

mspart

Man I hope the finals next year is Bo vs Zahid! Bigger than Bo vs Dean?

huge for sure in the sense that IF this match up happens and IF Bo wins, he would have won all 3 of his titles vs guys who were also NCAA champs. Not guys that went on to win titles, but came in as having won titles. Which I'm pretty sure would be a first. 

as for comparing to some other legendary finals:

Bo v Dean: Bo had zero coming in, Dean had two. Potentially they end up with 5 between them.

Dake v Taylor: Dake had 3 prior, Taylor 1. They ended up with 6 combined.

Schultz v Banach: Schultz came in with 1, Ed with 2. They eventually combined for 6.   

So is Mike Hughes with his 19 pins.  If only Hofstra had a slush fund.

19 falls in 44 matches. 41% pin rate.

Bo had 16 falls in 31 matches. 53% pin rate.

If you give Bo another 13 matches and he pins at the same rate, that's 23 falls. 

19 falls in 44 matches. 41% pin rate.

Bo had 16 falls in 31 matches. 53% pin rate.

If you give Bo another 13 matches and he pins at the same rate, that's 23 falls. 

If pin rate is the determining factor then Nolf should have won with 16 pins in 27 matches for a 59% rate.  If  Nolf had 17 more matches he would have had 10 more falls for 26 total. 

But nobody bases a Falls award on percentages rather than on total pins, except of course if there are no criteria listed and it is just a popularity award.

Edited by jammen

That video makes me wonder how Lynyrd Skynyrd ever got their version out of that old Jimmie Rogers tune.  Just sayin' - I like the Lynyrd Skynyrd version better. 

Kudo's to Bo.  I don't like him really, but he is an awesome wrestler.  Too bad he didn't go freestyle this time. 

mspart

I kinda like Jimmie's better :D

Bo pinned better guys too.

You're not wrong, but it's not exactly as matter-of-fact.

Nickal's only pin over an All-American was the final over Martin. His other falls over NCAA qualifiers were Nick Gravina, Mitch Bowman and Brandon Krone.

Hughes didn't have any falls over All-Americans and his three falls over NCAA qualifiers weren't super impressive either - Pelusi twice from F&M and Voss from George Mason. 

Hughes had more falls, but Nickal was behind Hughes, Darmstadt, Retherford and Daniel Lewis in falls in Division I. 

Retherford didn't pin any All-Americans, but 7 of his 17 falls were over NCAA qualifiers. 

Darmstadt had one fall over NCAA qualifiers. 

Lewis, who got hammered for his "light" schedule, pinned four wrestlers who competed at the NCAA championships. 

Nickal had the only fall over an AA in the group of the top five, but I think Retherford has the better argument based on # of falls and quality of opponents pinned, although it's Wade's award and Wade can set criteria the way he sees fit. 

Nickal's only pin over an All-American was the final over Martin. His other falls over NCAA qualifiers were Nick Gravina, Mitch Bowman and Brandon Krone.

Hughes didn't have any falls over All-Americans and his three falls over NCAA qualifiers weren't super impressive either - Pelusi twice from F&M and Voss from George Mason. 

Hughes had more falls, but Nickal was behind Hughes, Darmstadt, Retherford and Daniel Lewis in falls in Division I. 

Retherford didn't pin any All-Americans, but 7 of his 17 falls were over NCAA qualifiers. 

Lewis, who got hammered for his "light" schedule, pinned four wrestlers who competed at the NCAA championships. 

Nickal had the only fall over an AA in the group of the top five, but I think Retherford has the better argument based on # of falls and quality of opponents pinned, although it's Wade's award and Wade can set criteria the way he sees fit. 

Hughes got most of his pins in a lesser league. There's simply no comparison between Hughes/Bo's opponents.

I think it bears comparison to see how much people believe Bo was as prolific in pinning opponents this season, which the award is based, compared to last, which seemed was much more "Schalles-like."

Looking at the numbers, you'll see Bo wasn't pinning NCAA qualifiers at the rate he was the previous season.

As noted above, in 2018, of Nickal's 16 falls, he had one All-American and a total of 4 NCAA participants. 

In 2017, of Nickal's 17 falls, he had 3 All-Americans a total of 4 times (Brooks 2x, Boyd, Dudley) and a total number of 11 falls against wrestlers competing at the NCAA tournament.

I won't argue Bowman, Gravina, Krone isn't better than Pelusi, Voss -- but it's not like the difference is between an A and an F. 

Bottom line - yes, he pinned better guys, but you have to look it up to verify. 

Two things, Jason. One, I think you'd agree that Bo Nickal wrestled a tougher slate of opponents than did Hughes. On its face this would make pinning guys all the harder for Nickal as compared to Hughes. If Hughes has more pins mainly based on wrestling a less difficult slate of opponents, then maybe Schalles takes that into account.

Also, Wade actually commented on this selection. 

"In all the years the Schalles Award has been given out, this is the first time where the recipient parallels exactly what I envisioned the award to represent." -Wade Schalles

I'd agree Bo wrestled a tougher schedule, but as closely as I follow college wrestling, I couldn't completely just assume Bo pinned better opponents without actually verifying the claim. So in doing so, I actually noticed the quality of Nickal's pins weren't on par with his previous season, which he pinned better guys more frequently. Using the elevator to pin Martin in the finals, win the OW and win the team title as a result seems to have swayed perception on it.

Statistically speaking, Retherford should have won again. Although Bo's style is more in line with what Wade's traditionally was, Zain pinned better opponents at a higher clip, even with the Martin pin from Bo. 

Maybe Wade didn't want to spell ZR's name wrong again, so he just went with the easier option? 

I'd agree Bo wrestled a tougher schedule, but as closely as I follow college wrestling, I couldn't completely just assume Bo pinned better opponents without actually verifying the claim. So in doing so, I actually noticed the quality of Nickal's pins weren't on par with his previous season, which he pinned better guys more frequently. Using the elevator to pin Martin in the finals, win the OW and win the team title as a result seems to have swayed perception on it.

Statistically speaking, Retherford should have won again. Although Bo's style is more in line with what Wade's traditionally was, Zain pinned better opponents at a higher clip, even with the Martin pin from Bo. 

Maybe Wade didn't want to spell ZR's name wrong again, so he just went with the easier option? 

Gotcha.