• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 GranbyTroll

GranbyTroll

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:11 AM

Bottom line - yes, he pinned better guys, but you have to look it up to verify. 

Except for the guy he pinned in the NCAA finals. 

Iowa fans are still arrogant; it's just that their team isn't as good.

#22 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:52 AM

... one of the 16 you don't have to look up. 

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

#23 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,590 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:09 AM

You're not wrong, but it's not exactly as matter-of-fact.

Nickal's only pin over an All-American was the final over Martin. His other falls over NCAA qualifiers were Nick Gravina, Mitch Bowman and Brandon Krone.
Hughes didn't have any falls over All-Americans and his three falls over NCAA qualifiers weren't super impressive either - Pelusi twice from F&M and Voss from George Mason. 

Hughes had more falls, but Nickal was behind Hughes, Darmstadt, Retherford and Daniel Lewis in falls in Division I. 

Retherford didn't pin any All-Americans, but 7 of his 17 falls were over NCAA qualifiers. 
Darmstadt had one fall over NCAA qualifiers. 
Lewis, who got hammered for his "light" schedule, pinned four wrestlers who competed at the NCAA championships. 

Nickal had the only fall over an AA in the group of the top five, but I think Retherford has the better argument based on # of falls and quality of opponents pinned, although it's Wade's award and Wade can set criteria the way he sees fit. 

Two things, Jason. One, I think you'd agree that Bo Nickal wrestled a tougher slate of opponents than did Hughes. On its face this would make pinning guys all the harder for Nickal as compared to Hughes. If Hughes has more pins mainly based on wrestling a less difficult slate of opponents, then maybe Schalles takes that into account.

Also, Wade actually commented on this selection. 

"In all the years the Schalles Award has been given out, this is the first time where the recipient parallels exactly what I envisioned the award to represent." -Wade Schalles

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#24 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:56 AM

I'd agree Bo wrestled a tougher schedule, but as closely as I follow college wrestling, I couldn't completely just assume Bo pinned better opponents without actually verifying the claim. So in doing so, I actually noticed the quality of Nickal's pins weren't on par with his previous season, which he pinned better guys more frequently. Using the elevator to pin Martin in the finals, win the OW and win the team title as a result seems to have swayed perception on it.

Statistically speaking, Retherford should have won again. Although Bo's style is more in line with what Wade's traditionally was, Zain pinned better opponents at a higher clip, even with the Martin pin from Bo. 

Maybe Wade didn't want to spell ZR's name wrong again, so he just went with the easier option? 

• TBar1977 likes this

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

#25 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,590 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:25 AM

I'd agree Bo wrestled a tougher schedule, but as closely as I follow college wrestling, I couldn't completely just assume Bo pinned better opponents without actually verifying the claim. So in doing so, I actually noticed the quality of Nickal's pins weren't on par with his previous season, which he pinned better guys more frequently. Using the elevator to pin Martin in the finals, win the OW and win the team title as a result seems to have swayed perception on it.

Statistically speaking, Retherford should have won again. Although Bo's style is more in line with what Wade's traditionally was, Zain pinned better opponents at a higher clip, even with the Martin pin from Bo. 

Maybe Wade didn't want to spell ZR's name wrong again, so he just went with the easier option? 

Gotcha. 

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#26 dmm53

dmm53

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:13 AM

Speaking of Wade Schalles, here is an interesting article about him from Sports Illustrated in 1976.   It's easy to see him as a precursor to Ben Askren, among others.  The article also highlights how much money was (still is) and issue with amateur wrestling:

https://www.si.com/v...from-the-bottom

• TobusRex and swoopdown like this

#27 cjc007

cjc007

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:03 PM

Honestly, Wade should pick the winner each year. It would add drama and Wade could roast the winner at the awards ceremony.

After he's gone, let's it the BAskren Award and let Ben choose the winner.

Makes sense, right?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#28 dmm53

dmm53

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:37 PM

Honestly, Wade should pick the winner each year. It would add drama and Wade could roast the winner at the awards ceremony.

After he's gone, let's it the BAskren Award and let Ben choose the winner.

Makes sense, right?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That would add some panache and perhaps prestige to the pick.  Schalles is a smart guy and a free-wheeling character.  Not sure why he isn't part of the official college wrestling scene as much as he could be.   Has he pissed off too many people or something of the sort?  Askren (who clearly is in Schalles' lineage in terms of funky style contributions) is more visible.  Perhaps the next guy in this line is Nolf in terms of innovation in the sport, but Nolf is a much quieter creative presence.  He doesn't seem much interested in personal attention.

#29 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:26 AM

Speaking of Wade Schalles, here is an interesting article about him from Sports Illustrated in 1976.   It's easy to see him as a precursor to Ben Askren, among others.  The article also highlights how much money was (still is) and issue with amateur wrestling:

https://www.si.com/v...from-the-bottom

That was a fun article. Thanks for posting the link.

#30 dmm53

dmm53

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:50 PM

That was a fun article. Thanks for posting the link.

Sure thing.   I didn't know he was called Plastic Man.   

#31 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:26 AM

Sure thing.   I didn't know he was called Plastic Man.   

Me either. I didn't know he was the guy Ray Murphy was wrestling when he was paralyzed, either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users