Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

All of a sudden, Minnesota's lineup looks really solid

He is still a bit too freestyle centric. However, I would expect him to make the podium before he is done.

He's better in FS but similar in both.  Incredibly dangerous and weak defensively.  Sound wrestlers can pick him apart all the times they don't get pinned.  He's like Eierman with much less of his own offense.  

He's better in FS but similar in both. Incredibly dangerous and weak defensively. Sound wrestlers can pick him apart all the times they don't get pinned. He's like Eierman with much less of his own offense.

I wouldn’t say he is weak defensively in free. He did get a junior world silver at a lower weight.

If you mean weak like Stieber, then I get your point

He's better in FS but similar in both. Incredibly dangerous and weak defensively. Sound wrestlers can pick him apart all the times they don't get pinned. He's like Eierman with much less of his own offense.

Huge difference between the 2 is his exposure defense. Chest wraps and head pinched galore. None of that translates.

I wouldn’t say he is weak defensively in free. He did get a junior world silver at a lower weight.

If you mean weak like Stieber, then I get your point

Yes.  Very dangerous with counter offense but no thought at keeping guys off his legs.  Against the best guys he is letting them on his legs to go for exposures and they are finishing shots for 2.  

That's a line-up that can make a lot of noise.  So many tough programs.  I don't know if there are more or less than in previous cycles, but there are a lot of really tough teams in the top 10 at DI's.  Just a few decades ago if you had 6 AA's, you were winning the tournament.  That's when we had a few hundred more teams...in NAIA alone.  In some ways, it was like a 4A program against a 5A program with equal athletes and coaches.  When you began the college wrestling season with 400 more per weight class, in all divisions, the top of the top was probably a bigger piece of the athletic pie than what we have now.  Now, however, we put the best athletes on the mat we have ever put out.  The rules are the best they've ever been in my opinion.  I'm beginning to lose the argument with myself about which era is the best.