Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

Snyder vs Cael

Gable beat Keaser something like 22-0 and 23-0 I am thinking his technique was pretty darn good. To think other wise is plain ignorant!

His technique was great, but his best attribute was conditioning and completely grinding his opponents into oblivion.

Look at how he crushed Keaser and Keaser wins 73 World's and gets a silver in Montreal. That's then point, Gable's brutalized world class wrestlers with his unparralled conditioning.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Carl doesn't wrestle freestyle.

This thread belongs in the age group/college forum. lol

Along with: "who would win a bout between Werewolf vs Dracula?"

Give me the wolfman

Nobody should be on the "I think Cael would win" bandwagon, 
He was great for the sport, and accomplished what nobody else has. 
But we are talking about the multiple time World Champion and Olympic Champion boy wonder at a heavier weight. 
And then we say, well Cael was great in college, and he did win that 1 world level Gold at the Olympics... he could probably bump up and take out this legend.....  come on guys 
Cael = great 
Snyder = Great 
But every 3 months this conversation is silly..... I hate the slow season 

Snyder's wins over Gadisov and sadulaev eclipse any wins of Caels.

Umm. Cael beat defending Olympic champs Magemedov and  Adam Satiev. Throw in world champ Romero also. And he gave Gatsalov a much better match than Snyder's two bouts-was beating him soundly before losing 8-7 OT in Gatsalov's prime. Snyder will be much better we all know that but this is a one time match at their best. I wish Cael's would have loved freestyle like Kyle but that would have translated to no coaching titles so who knows. I think they are pretty equal. Varner wrestled both guys a ton. He is the only who knows the answer:-)

Edited by PRyan2012

Gable beat Keaser something like 22-0 and 23-0 I am thinking his technique was pretty darn good. To think other wise is plain ignorant!

Very good indeed.  He just wasn't our highest skilled wrestler as stated above.     

Umm. Cael beat defending Olympic champs Magemedov and  Adam Satiev. Throw in world champ Romero also. And he gave Gatsalov a much better match than Snyder's two bouts-was beating him soundly before losing 8-7 OT in Gatsalov's prime. Snyder will be much better we all know that but this is a one time match at their best. I wish Cael's would have loved freestyle like Kyle but that would have translated to no coaching titles so who knows. I think they are pretty equal. Varner wrestled both guys a ton. He is the only who knows the answer:-)

That is a good point I forgot about Saitiev.

Not sure I'd throw in a win over a Cuban.......

I'll limit my comparisons to same weights (or close):

folk: 197 Kyle got pinned in finals, Cael decimated the field. senior v freshman = Cael all day.

free: at 210+ lbs, Cael 5th in world, Kyle well we know. old v young works in reverse here, Kyle all day.

Edited by KTG119

His technique was great, but his best attribute was conditioning and completely grinding his opponents into oblivion.

Look at how he crushed Keaser and Keaser wins 73 World's and gets a silver in Montreal. That's then point, Gable's brutalized world class wrestlers with his unparralled conditioning.

And before we get carried away it was 3-0 in the match to win the gold and just a few years later a prime aged Gable lost to an 18 year old. in the debate of greatest coach ever in any sport. Not realistically in the debate of Greatest top ten wrestler ever in wrestling overall, and debatable in the US. Edited by sgallan

Having trashed Gable a bit, his overall style was predictive of the future. Controlled ties. Positioning. Pressure but smart shots or stalemate. Almost everybody back then who dominated would give a point to score a few more. Not Gable. He lost to Owens because he wrestled "loose". Kemp too for that matter. But in the big events after Owens he never gave up position. If you tried to get position he would smother you.

FWIW, Keaser was a horrible stylistic match up to compete with Gable. Keaser gave up legs, didn't battle for position, always tried to finesse everything. Gable just ran him over and would break him. You tube and video.....

Edited by sgallan

Having trashed Gable a bit, his overall style was predictive of the future. Controlled ties. Positioning. Pressure but smart shots or stalemate. Almost everybody back then who dominated would give a point to score a few more. Not Gable. He lost to Owens because he wrestled "loose". Kemp too for that matter. But in the big events after Owens he never gave up position. If you tried to get position he would smother you.

funny I thought Gable lost to Owings because he wrestled tight...Owings got in his head a bit....

and/or Owings double jointed getting out of arm bars thing.

And before we get carried away it was 3-0 in the match to win the gold and just a few years later a prime aged Gable lost to an 18 year old. in the debate of greatest coach ever in any sport. Not realistically in the debate of Greatest top ten wrestler ever in wrestling overall, and debatable in the US.

I couldn't agree more.

And before we get carried away it was 3-0 in the match to win the gold and just a few years later a prime aged Gable lost to an 18 year old. in the debate of greatest coach ever in any sport. Not realistically in the debate of Greatest top ten wrestler ever in wrestling overall, and debatable in the US.

FIFY

So here's a question, Cael no doubt worked hard to win his Gold and then presumedly needed a break or was spent. I can only assume the same for Varner since Cael trained him and I assume made him train the same way, and then we see Varner take a break in 2013. So what makes guys like Dave Schultz, Bruce Baumgartner, John Smith, or a Jordan Burroughs compete successfully year after year.

Didn't Gable beat Keaser 22-0 at the Olympic Trials?

His World Championship is as good as Gable's.

He is an Olympic Silver medalist as well.

Some truth in this, but Stephen Abas circa 2004 was something to behold.  The way that Batirov turned everything against him in the Olympic Final was unthinkable if you saw his season up to that point.

Right now its a tech. lets get real. 

P4P in their prime? No evidence Cael can get it done. I will say for him that I think Cael's international career was not really emblematic of how great he was, I think he'd had enough pressure  to win and wanted to get his gold and go home. 

The reason Cael is in the discussion at all is because he is from my perspective the most...beautiful wrestler ever, but Snyder's strength is position....which is not as glamorous but it ultimately trumps everything else. 

Some truth in this, but Stephen Abas circa 2004 was something to behold.  The way that Batirov turned everything against him in the Olympic Final was unthinkable if you saw his season up to that point.

I don't see the connection buddy...or are you saying abas was the most "beautiful" wrestler ever.

Abas was slicker, but as a real wrestling snob I say Cael's combination of slickness, hand fighting, mat wrestling (in folk) make him way more awesome than Abas. Its sorta like comparing a piano piece to a symphony...in my mind. 

funny I thought Gable lost to Owings because he wrestled tight...Owings got in his head a bit....

and/or Owings double jointed getting out of arm bars thing.

Loose in his technique. Instead of positional pressure, heavy on the head, elbows in, and just work him like a machine, he left himself open to attacks, and lost tactical control of the match. Wrestling tight is not always technical term, it is often a term where you choke and don't do what you usually do. Tight in this context is also tiring mentally and physically as you over compensate physically, and panicmentally. Watch the video of that match. It is a case study and something Gable used as a coach that made him so great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPvZpCcs8eA 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC8AE14U7WA 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL-DObt1hQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw_Zxlljmyg 

Sanderson had to get through or around these four guys. I think that is as good or better than Snyder's competition.  This bunch was as good as it gets! Cael beat two of them and had razor close 1 point matches with the other two. 13 world titles in this group!!! Also don't forget Cael beat World and Olympic champ Revaz Mindo and Magemedov!

Edited by PRyan2012