3x National Champs

Change my mind

#2 superbowlhomeboy

superbowlhomeboy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:29 PM

Best club in the Nation! Coaches are doing a great job developing those kids!
  • cbg and Roadkill like this

#3 cbg

cbg

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:38 AM

Best club in the Nation! Coaches are doing a great job developing those kids!

Doing a great job developing or doing a great job recruiting!  

#4 BobDole

BobDole

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:52 AM

What's the point of bringing in kids from 10 states to compete in this event?

#5 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:52 AM

To win?

#6 BobDole

BobDole

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:36 AM

To win?

What do you get out of winning the event by doing that? 

#7 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:44 AM

Obviously a sense of winning!

#8 BobDole

BobDole

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:59 AM

Obviously a sense of winning!

Sounds fun to see who can put together the best team with kids from all over the country. 

#9 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,679 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:03 AM

Tons of teams in for this event but agree it’s pretty lobsided when a few teams are calling in multiple state title hired guns from all sides do the country to ensure a deep run and other teams are lucky enough to get state qualifiers from their local area. With that many teams competing they could easily do something similar to Disney Duals. Have a all-star division where you have kids from multiple states and the teams that want to recruit nationwide talent can battle it out. And then a state division (yeah I know DD is school district) where at least everyone has to come from the same state. Sure some teams will still be packed with home state talent but most wont be near to the degree of these all-state teams. Plus, if you feel your state teams up for the challenge they could enter the all-star division.
  • MikePorcelli likes this

#10 BobDole

BobDole

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:11 AM

Tons of teams in for this event but agree it’s pretty lobsided when a few teams are calling in multiple state title hired guns from all sides do the country to ensure a deep run and other teams are lucky enough to get state qualifiers from their local area. With that many teams competing they could easily do something similar to Disney Duals. Have a all-star division where you have kids from multiple states and the teams that want to recruit nationwide talent can battle it out. And then a state division (yeah I know DD is school district) where at least everyone has to come from the same state. Sure some teams will still be packed with home state talent but most wont be near to the degree of these all-state teams. Plus, if you feel your state teams up for the challenge they could enter the all-star division.

The All-Star division at the Disney Duals has a restriction of three wrestlers from an adjoining district(mostly a state) on each All-Star team. So thus the type of all star teams at NHSCA's cannot be put together at Disney.

• ClawRide likes this

#11 Konquest

Konquest

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:02 AM

Any national dual meet tournament that isn't handily won by a club or team from Pennsylvania or Illinois should be immediate cause for skepticism.  The only people who should get any pride out of "Team Kong" winning its 3x "national championship" are the ones who organize the team.  It's just some good matches for top level kids...no team pride or state bragging rights in an event like this.

#12 george

george

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:54 AM

Team Gladiator Sword finished 7/8.  It's a club west of Pittsburgh.

Looking at the roster, They all go to local nearby high schools.

I'm pretty sure all of them train there.

• Konquest likes this

#13 Konquest

Konquest

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:27 AM

Team Gladiator Sword finished 7/8.  It's a club west of Pittsburgh.

Looking at the roster, They all go to local nearby high schools.

I'm pretty sure all of them train there.

That's what I'm talking about.  More impressive to me than "Team Kong".

#14 Hofman19

Hofman19

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:10 AM

As someone who is from Long Island and knows the organizers, I just want to come to their defense a little bit.

While no one is using this as a sign of bragging rights or NY superiority, I want to dispel any belief that these are just 14 kids who are working independent of each other.

They may come from different states, but by the end of the weekend, they are very much a "team" in terms of support for one another and lasting relationships.

I was just on the Kong facebook page and saw that Kanen Storr had taken the time to congratulate this year's team.   Last weekend, Gannon Gremmel was wishing the boys the best of luck.   Sammy Evans is also a frequent contributor to the page.  

So, I do concur that the title itself is not as special as when you do it with a hometown group of student-athletes.  But the experience of being a team is very much alive within the Kong system.  

Hope that makes some sense and does not sound too sappy.

Edited by Hofman19, 01 June 2018 - 02:16 PM.

#15 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,432 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:13 PM

the people who organize these super teams are pathetic.

• HokieHWT likes this

#16 NJWC

NJWC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:58 PM

As someone who is from Long Island and knows the organizers, I just want to come to their defense a little bit.

While no one is using this as a sign of bragging rights or NY superiority, I want to dispel any belief that these are just 14 kids who are working independent of each other.

They may come from different states, but by the end of the weekend, they are very much a "team" in terms of support for one another and lasting relationships.

I was just on the Kong facebook page and saw that Kanen Storr had taken the time to congratulate this year's team. Last weekend, Gannon Gremmel was wishing the boys the best of luck. Sammy Evans is also a frequent contributor to the page.

So, I do concur that the title itself is not as special as when you do it with a hometown group of student-athletes. But the experience of being a team is very much alive within the Kong system.

You sound ridiculous. “By the end of the weekend, these kids are a team.”.
No they aren’t. They’re acquaintances who loaded a team and wion an event.
A team trains and competes together over significant periods of time.
  • HokieHWT and BigTenFanboy like this

#17 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:30 PM

You sound ridiculous. “By the end of the weekend, these kids are a team.”.
No they aren’t. They’re acquaintances who loaded a team and wion an event.
A team trains and competes together over significant periods of time.

Kinda like Team USA!

#18 HokieHWT

HokieHWT

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:03 AM

I was just on the Kong facebook page and saw that Kanen Storr had taken the time to congratulate this year's team.   Last weekend, Gannon Gremmel was wishing the boys the best of luck.   Sammy Evans is also a frequent contributor to the page.  

So, I do concur that the title itself is not as special as when you do it with a hometown group of student-athletes.  But the experience of being a team is very much alive within the Kong system.  

GTFOH

#19 Hofman19

Hofman19

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:26 AM

I am not sure what the hell you guys are looking for. 

I acknowledged that the win was not the same as when you do it with local kids and that no one should be taking credit for it.

Instead of being assholes with keyboard, why don't you ask one of the kids themselves if they felt like hired help, or if the organizers promoted a team environment?

My comment was not even about wins or losses; it was about attitude and the level of support they gave to each other.  And how it appears that a lot of the guys who come from other states seem to enjoy the experience and stay in contact with each other after the fact.   

Edited by Hofman19, 02 June 2018 - 04:45 AM.

• MikePorcelli likes this

#20 HokieHWT

HokieHWT

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:26 AM

Coming to their defense at all is making you look like an ass.

Can't  coach? Bring in athletes who have  been coached already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users