Sign in to follow this  
buckshot1969

Jason Renteria-Free Agent

Are there any rumors where he might be headed? 

Just thinking out loud, Cornell might be a fabulous environment for J-Rent, assuming 133 is still within his reach physiologically. Take a RS year to get his weight under control and then fill Chaz Tucker's spot. That would give Cornell a potential lightweight lineup of Baughman - J-Rent - Vito - Yianni. Plus Darmstadt and Max Dean bookending the lineup, wow that would be a tough team.

Ohh right, Ivy League RS rules.

Btw should J-Rent really go 141? I don't know if he missed weight because he totally grew out of the weight or if it was discipline or a slip-up or what. He didn't really look that big at 133.

Whatever the reason, if you are missing weight as a true freshman for your biggest tournament of the year it's probably safe to assume that 4 years down the road you won't be able to make said weight comfortably. 

Yah, I guess I was hoping it was due to something that could be chalked up to freshman carelessness. So, who needs a 141 and would be a good fit for J-Rent? Wyoming?

No real inside knowledge, but I have heard Oklahoma, UNC, and ODU mentioned as possible destinations.

At OK he would be joining HS teammate Anthony Madrigal.  OK would be looking tough with Moody, Madrigal, J-Rent, and Dom Demas at the front of their lineup for a few years.

The case for UNC starts with Tony Ramos, but HS teammates Jaimie Hernandez and Matt Rundell also reside in Raleigh-Durham, and apparently J-Rent is buddies with Austin O'Connor.  Renteria would slide in nicely at 141 between Zach Sherman and Austin O'Connor, but would likely have to compete with his buddy Hernandez for the job.

ODU also boasts several former HS teammates in Alex Madrigal and Larry Early, but they just brought in Sa'Derian Perry and already have Madrigal at 141.  Renteria would likely be a better fit at 133 for the Monarchs.

I would love to see Renteria at Illinois, but I'd guess ILL is looking at Dylan Duncan and Mikey Carr bumping up to 141 and 149 respectively which would again leave Renteria looking at 133.

Interesting prospect and a really fun kid to watch.  Wherever he ends up, I wish him well.

Iowa is loading up and looks to be a real force next year and beyond with a very young team.  Lee, Renteria, DeSanto's and their most recent commit Cashman all have their redshirts remaining and Lee also has an Olympic shirt in his pocket, so it looks like they are set in the lower weights for a few years.  

Nothing. Just laughing at him. He took a redshirt when he was probably the best option to start and now Brands already wants to replace him.

Fake news. Max, Turk and Happel will be gunning for the 141 spot next year and the year after. Same guys as last year. Renteria wants to be a 133. He will likely RS next season while Desanto goes 133 and then Desanto can RS the year after while Renteria goes 133. Max has been hitting a growth spurt and will be ready to go 149 after Lugo, Renteria goes 133, Desanto goes 141. 

Iowa must have a slush fund with all these guys they keep bringing in.

They brought in 2 transfers that had serious issues with their coaching staffs. I don't think they were drowning in full ride offers.......

Also, they had a very thin recruiting class with Cass and Brands being the only top 100 guys. It's not like they recruited 10 top 100 guys like PSU while still having 4 returning NCAA champs on the roster......

Edited by MSU158

Iowa must have a slush fund with all these guys they keep bringing in.

Like 5 million worth of slushy? Renteria has wanted to be a Hawkeye since he was a young kid. Fulfilling his dream Edited by WildTurkey44

Like 5 million worth of slushy? Renteria has wanted to be a Hawkeye since he was a young kid. Fulfilling his dream

Hey, I just wanted to jump in on all the accusatory fun times here at themat.com. You guys claim slush fund improprieties at PSU so I thought you'd welcome the remarks. I learned from some vodka swilling Iowa City lawyer who calls compliance officers about such matters.