Sign in to follow this  
buckshot1969

Jason Renteria-Free Agent

FIFY

You mean you completely bastardized it?  Having issues with their staffs doesn't mean that only their staffs were in the wrong, or were even in the wrong at all.  It simply means they had issues with each other.

Not to excuse what DeSanto did, but did you ever wrestle?  In college?  If you tell me that not one practice ever ended up coming to blows, you are a RARITY..............or just got beat up so bad it wasn't an option.

You mean you completely bastardized it?  Having issues with their staffs doesn't mean that only their staffs were in the wrong, or were even in the wrong at all.  It simply means they had issues with each other.

Not to excuse what DeSanto did, but did you ever wrestle?  In college?  If you tell me that not one practice ever ended up coming to blows, you are a RARITY..............or just got beat up so bad it wasn't an option.

I did wrestle through college, and had a considerable amount of success. I am nowhere near perfect and have too many flaws to count, but I also never tried to break my opponent's arm in a match or throw haymakers. What happens in practice is kept in house and worked out as a family, but if that bleeds over, especially at the most visible event of upper level, then criticism has been earned. DeSanto is fortunate not to have seperated Micic's shoulder or broken his arm - he would be facing a one year ban in all likelihood, in addition to being told to leave Drexel.

Edited by bnwtwg

I did wrestle through college, and had a considerable amount of success. I am nowhere near perfect and have too many flaws to count, but I also never tried to break my opponent's arm in a match or throw haymakers. What happens in practice is kept in house and worked out as a family, but if that bleeds over, especially at the most visible event of upper level, then criticism has been earned. DeSanto is fortunate not to have seperated Micic's shoulder or broken his arm - he would be facing a one year ban in all likelihood, in addition to being told to leave Drexel.

I guess things have been cleaned up a bit from my time.  With technology and social media, you just can't get away with anything anymore.  I have seen full fledged intentional biting by a NCAA finalist in a sanctioned match, plenty of "short" punches to the groin and mid-section and simply put remember often hearing "use anything you can to your advantage".  Now, I never found myself in a situation that warranted it, but I saw many things that were much more egregious than DeSanto's actions.

Honestly, I equate what he did to your garden variety NBA fight.  They swing and miss, more for show, and releasing frustration, than anything else.  They honestly look more afraid to actually connect.  What DeSanto did was out of frustration and was not a "full" pre-meditated action.  Because of that, they didn't even COME CLOSE to the effect that would result from them.

Does he deserve criticism?  Absolutely.  Is he that bad?  I don't think so.

I guess things have been cleaned up a bit from my time.  With technology and social media, you just can't get away with anything anymore.  I have seen full fledged intentional biting by a NCAA finalist in a sanctioned match, plenty of "short" punches to the groin and mid-section and simply put remember often hearing "use anything you can to your advantage".  Now, I never found myself in a situation that warranted it, but I saw many things that were much more egregious than DeSanto's actions.

Honestly, I equate what he did to your garden variety NBA fight.  They swing and miss, more for show, and releasing frustration, than anything else.  They honestly look more afraid to actually connect.  What DeSanto did was out of frustration and was not a "full" pre-meditated action.  Because of that, they didn't even COME CLOSE to the effect that would result from them.

Does he deserve criticism?  Absolutely.  Is he that bad?  I don't think so.

Biting and a nutshot are cheap shots, but are nothing compared with actively trying to break someone's arm with a non-wrestling move that had obviously been practiced or he would not have decided to attempt the kimura. If Micic were your son and his arm were broken, ending his tourney and possibly altering his career permanently, would you still equate this to a faux backpedaling-NBA "hold me back bro hold me back" fight or would you rightfully be upset?

I guess things have been cleaned up a bit from my time.  With technology and social media, you just can't get away with anything anymore.

With technology and social media, people are becoming less tolerant of others being assholes and are now able to better hold them accountable, starting within the wrestling community with its own wrestlers. Of course, we also have to deal with some butt memes, so it's pretty much a wash

The Intermat story states that young Renteria has three seasons of eligibility remaining. Is he sitting this season due to in conference transfer and then making his way back for the 2019-20 season or is he somehow eligible immediately?

Biting and a nutshot are cheap shots, but are nothing compared with actively trying to break someone's arm with a non-wrestling move that had obviously been practiced or he would not have decided to attempt the kimura. If Micic were your son and his arm were broken, ending his tourney and possibly altering his career permanently, would you still equate this to a faux backpedaling-NBA "hold me back bro hold me back" fight or would you rightfully be upset?

My comparison was based on the "effort".  Based on what I saw, DeSanto gave as much effort in those acts as the NBA comparison I made.  As a result, none of his "victims" were even remotely close to injury.

I simply judge people and situations on my understanding of intent and/or premeditation.  To me, it is almost the exact same thing as Metcalf vs. Caldwell.  Metcalf reacted, but held back when it mattered.  If he truly meant to hurt him, he could have Ronnie Lott'd him clear off the platform.  Just from my vantage point, they were stupid, frustrated, half-hearted(if that) poor reactions to bad results.

Hell, I would say the "slam" Gilman did to Waters was more egregious and that was super foo-foo to me as well.  All that happened was a 5' nothing, 100 and nothing guy fell backwards with another 5' nothing, 100 and nothing guy onto a padded mat.  Hell, I create more force falling off a 5' ladder...........

Edited to add:  If he truly did put forth the intent and effort ending in a break, I would 100% agree with you.....

Edited by MSU158

With technology and social media, people are becoming less tolerant of others being assholes and are now able to better hold them accountable, starting within the wrestling community with its own wrestlers. Of course, we also have to deal with some butt memes, so it's pretty much a wash

There are definitely some positives to the "Big Brother" state.  However, I can't stand the amount of Nancy Graces it created.  People see a video or read something on the Internet and everyone is guilty to the maximum degree.....

There are definitely some positives to the "Big Brother" state.  However, I can't stand the amount of Nancy Graces it created.  People see a video or read something on the Internet and everyone is guilty to the maximum degree.....

You leave Nancy Grace and her tot-mom journalism skills out of this!