• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 11:30 AM

No "redshirts" in the Ivy League. (wink, wink)

Except Cornell.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#22 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,590 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:42 PM

Iowa must have a slush fund with all these guys they keep bringing in.

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#23 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:32 AM

They brought in 2 transfers that had serious issues with their coaching staffs. I don't think they were drowning in full ride offers.......

Also, they had a very thin recruiting class with Cass and Brands being the only top 100 guys. It's not like they recruited 10 top 100 guys like PSU while still having 4 returning NCAA champs on the roster......

Edited by MSU158, 18 June 2018 - 02:35 AM.

• BLT likes this

#24 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:37 AM

Like 5 million worth of slushy? Renteria has wanted to be a Hawkeye since he was a young kid. Fulfilling his dream

Edited by WildTurkey44, 18 June 2018 - 02:37 AM.

#25 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,590 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:59 AM

Like 5 million worth of slushy? Renteria has wanted to be a Hawkeye since he was a young kid. Fulfilling his dream

Hey, I just wanted to jump in on all the accusatory fun times here at themat.com. You guys claim slush fund improprieties at PSU so I thought you'd welcome the remarks. I learned from some vodka swilling Iowa City lawyer who calls compliance officers about such matters. 

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#26 bnwtwg

bnwtwg
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:25 AM

They brought in  one transfer that had serious issues with their coaching staffs trying to break his opponent's arm and punching people

FIFY

#27 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:32 AM

FIFY

You mean you completely bastardized it?  Having issues with their staffs doesn't mean that only their staffs were in the wrong, or were even in the wrong at all.  It simply means they had issues with each other.

Not to excuse what DeSanto did, but did you ever wrestle?  In college?  If you tell me that not one practice ever ended up coming to blows, you are a RARITY..............or just got beat up so bad it wasn't an option.

#28 bnwtwg

bnwtwg
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:46 AM

You mean you completely bastardized it?  Having issues with their staffs doesn't mean that only their staffs were in the wrong, or were even in the wrong at all.  It simply means they had issues with each other.

Not to excuse what DeSanto did, but did you ever wrestle?  In college?  If you tell me that not one practice ever ended up coming to blows, you are a RARITY..............or just got beat up so bad it wasn't an option.

I did wrestle through college, and had a considerable amount of success. I am nowhere near perfect and have too many flaws to count, but I also never tried to break my opponent's arm in a match or throw haymakers. What happens in practice is kept in house and worked out as a family, but if that bleeds over, especially at the most visible event of upper level, then criticism has been earned. DeSanto is fortunate not to have seperated Micic's shoulder or broken his arm - he would be facing a one year ban in all likelihood, in addition to being told to leave Drexel.

Edited by bnwtwg, 19 June 2018 - 07:47 AM.

#29 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,046 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:05 AM

I did wrestle through college, and had a considerable amount of success. I am nowhere near perfect and have too many flaws to count, but I also never tried to break my opponent's arm in a match or throw haymakers. What happens in practice is kept in house and worked out as a family, but if that bleeds over, especially at the most visible event of upper level, then criticism has been earned. DeSanto is fortunate not to have seperated Micic's shoulder or broken his arm - he would be facing a one year ban in all likelihood, in addition to being told to leave Drexel.

I guess things have been cleaned up a bit from my time.  With technology and social media, you just can't get away with anything anymore.  I have seen full fledged intentional biting by a NCAA finalist in a sanctioned match, plenty of "short" punches to the groin and mid-section and simply put remember often hearing "use anything you can to your advantage".  Now, I never found myself in a situation that warranted it, but I saw many things that were much more egregious than DeSanto's actions.

Honestly, I equate what he did to your garden variety NBA fight.  They swing and miss, more for show, and releasing frustration, than anything else.  They honestly look more afraid to actually connect.  What DeSanto did was out of frustration and was not a "full" pre-meditated action.  Because of that, they didn't even COME CLOSE to the effect that would result from them.

Does he deserve criticism?  Absolutely.  Is he that bad?  I don't think so.

#30 bnwtwg

bnwtwg
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:28 AM

I guess things have been cleaned up a bit from my time.  With technology and social media, you just can't get away with anything anymore.  I have seen full fledged intentional biting by a NCAA finalist in a sanctioned match, plenty of "short" punches to the groin and mid-section and simply put remember often hearing "use anything you can to your advantage".  Now, I never found myself in a situation that warranted it, but I saw many things that were much more egregious than DeSanto's actions.

Honestly, I equate what he did to your garden variety NBA fight.  They swing and miss, more for show, and releasing frustration, than anything else.  They honestly look more afraid to actually connect.  What DeSanto did was out of frustration and was not a "full" pre-meditated action.  Because of that, they didn't even COME CLOSE to the effect that would result from them.

Does he deserve criticism?  Absolutely.  Is he that bad?  I don't think so.

Biting and a nutshot are cheap shots, but are nothing compared with actively trying to break someone's arm with a non-wrestling move that had obviously been practiced or he would not have decided to attempt the kimura. If Micic were your son and his arm were broken, ending his tourney and possibly altering his career permanently, would you still equate this to a faux backpedaling-NBA "hold me back bro hold me back" fight or would you rightfully be upset?

#31 bnwtwg

bnwtwg
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:31 AM

I guess things have been cleaned up a bit from my time.  With technology and social media, you just can't get away with anything anymore.

With technology and social media, people are becoming less tolerant of others being assholes and are now able to better hold them accountable, starting within the wrestling community with its own wrestlers. Of course, we also have to deal with some butt memes, so it's pretty much a wash

#32 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,072 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:12 AM

The Intermat story states that young Renteria has three seasons of eligibility remaining. Is he sitting this season due to in conference transfer and then making his way back for the 2019-20 season or is he somehow eligible immediately?

#33 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,046 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:52 AM

Biting and a nutshot are cheap shots, but are nothing compared with actively trying to break someone's arm with a non-wrestling move that had obviously been practiced or he would not have decided to attempt the kimura. If Micic were your son and his arm were broken, ending his tourney and possibly altering his career permanently, would you still equate this to a faux backpedaling-NBA "hold me back bro hold me back" fight or would you rightfully be upset?

My comparison was based on the "effort".  Based on what I saw, DeSanto gave as much effort in those acts as the NBA comparison I made.  As a result, none of his "victims" were even remotely close to injury.

I simply judge people and situations on my understanding of intent and/or premeditation.  To me, it is almost the exact same thing as Metcalf vs. Caldwell.  Metcalf reacted, but held back when it mattered.  If he truly meant to hurt him, he could have Ronnie Lott'd him clear off the platform.  Just from my vantage point, they were stupid, frustrated, half-hearted(if that) poor reactions to bad results.

Hell, I would say the "slam" Gilman did to Waters was more egregious and that was super foo-foo to me as well.  All that happened was a 5' nothing, 100 and nothing guy fell backwards with another 5' nothing, 100 and nothing guy onto a padded mat.  Hell, I create more force falling off a 5' ladder...........

Edited to add:  If he truly did put forth the intent and effort ending in a break, I would 100% agree with you.....

Edited by MSU158, Yesterday, 08:55 AM.

#34 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,046 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:03 AM

With technology and social media, people are becoming less tolerant of others being assholes and are now able to better hold them accountable, starting within the wrestling community with its own wrestlers. Of course, we also have to deal with some butt memes, so it's pretty much a wash

There are definitely some positives to the "Big Brother" state.  However, I can't stand the amount of Nancy Graces it created.  People see a video or read something on the Internet and everyone is guilty to the maximum degree.....

#35 bnwtwg

bnwtwg
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:31 AM

There are definitely some positives to the "Big Brother" state.  However, I can't stand the amount of Nancy Graces it created.  People see a video or read something on the Internet and everyone is guilty to the maximum degree.....

You leave Nancy Grace and her tot-mom journalism skills out of this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users