Really good article from ESPN.  http://www.espn.com/...d-pro-wrestling

• KTG119 likes this

#2 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:50 AM

You'd think a Duke wrestler would be too smart to get roided up and do this for a career.  

• Greatdane67 likes this

#3 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

You'd think a Duke wrestler would be too smart to get roided up and do this for a career.

What about Harvard grads David Otunga and Chris Nowinski. Were they stupid as well?
  • MikePorcelli likes this

#4 treep2000

treep2000

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

Yes... But stupidity pays the bills.
  • Billyhoyle likes this

#5 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:29 AM

What about Harvard grads David Otunga and Chris Nowinski. Were they stupid as well?

Nowinski would probably agree with me given his work on concussions.
https://youtu.be/cJJxa9El_FY
The fact that steroids is a job requirement is absolutely disgusting.

I admit that I was being a bit facetious with my previous post. Obviously lots of boneheads go to Duke/Harvard/etc..Usually these guys have way better career options though and don’t need to resort to this to make money.

Edited by Billyhoyle, 29 May 2018 - 11:30 AM.

#6 superbowlhomeboy

superbowlhomeboy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:07 PM

Get in, make some money, get out. Nothing wrong with that. He’d do well.
  • silver-medal likes this

#7 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

I'd much rather make 100's of thousands of dollars a year, get to travel all over the world, be adored by millions of people and have tremendous fame, than I would seek the approval of pretentious and pompous members of themat.com 

Just me though

• JasonBryant, HurricaneWrestling, TheOhioState and 5 others like this
"Gable said something in the newspapers to the effect that he had to show up on the podium and accept defeat like he accepted winning. Personally, I think that's the mark of a true sportsman. Such antics as having to be called repeatedly to the awards podium, hopping down prematurely, trashing one's medal at the venue, etc., don't show how much a guy hates to lose, etc. Taking a loss like a man, then coming back to compete harder (again like Gable did) does." Hurricanewrestling

#8 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:43 PM

I'd much rather make 100's of thousands of dollars a year, get to travel all over the world, be adored by millions of people and have tremendous fame, than I would seek the approval of pretentious and pompous members of themat.com 

Just me though

How about the physical and mental effects of years of steroid abuse/concussions? I understand somebody that has no other options entering that line of work, but you'd think somebody who attends Duke could go on to do something more productive.  

#9 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:59 PM

Yup. Kasper’s gonna do roids. That’s what you got out of this ...

Meh.
  • KTG119 likes this

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

#10 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:02 PM

How about the physical and mental effects of years of steroid abuse/concussions? I understand somebody that has no other options entering that line of work, but you'd think somebody who attends Duke could go on to do something more productive.  

Who says that Kasper, who is already huge and ripped will get on steroids? This isn't the 1980's or the early 1990's when everyone was on roids. The days of everyone looking like an Adonis are nearly 30 years behind us dude. The more modern look is that of Bret Hart, Chris Jericho, ect.  Guys who are built and muscular, but not jacked out of their minds like the Ultimate Warrior or Rick Rude were.   And Concussions? Says who? Who says that will happen to him?  Injuries are going to happen, as they would in any athletic endeavor but you're jumping the gun on concussions. 

And in terms of money, popularity, other opportunities that will pop up (films, television, commercials, ect) you tell me what Kasper could do.

He'll be making probably $150,000 to $250,000 in his first couple of years doing pro wrestling. He'll be traveling around the world, getting to workout as much as he'd like to, living a dream.    Or he could work in an office for significantly less money, and have to deal with a bunch of creeps all day in the process.

I think he's making a rather intelligent decision considering the options. 

• silver-medal likes this
"Gable said something in the newspapers to the effect that he had to show up on the podium and accept defeat like he accepted winning. Personally, I think that's the mark of a true sportsman. Such antics as having to be called repeatedly to the awards podium, hopping down prematurely, trashing one's medal at the venue, etc., don't show how much a guy hates to lose, etc. Taking a loss like a man, then coming back to compete harder (again like Gable did) does." Hurricanewrestling

#11 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

Just me though

Well someone’s priorities are all jacked up.

#12 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:32 PM

I guess you feel that way about pretty much anyone who goes into professional football or Baseball. WWE has a pretty strict wellness policy that requires it's guys to get tested pretty frequently. Is it perfect and do some people fall through the cracks? Absolutely. But it's still a pretty good policy and probably better than most professional sports leagues.

As for Chris Nowinski yes he's suffered concusions that required him to retire. However I see to see in the very video you posted that according to his own words he suffered from a number of them undiagnosed during his youth sports, high school and college days. Are you also a proponent of eliminating youth, high school, and colligate sports?

Look I get it. You don't like prowrestling. That's fine, but atleast back up your statements with some legitimate validity and not some old outdated information of the past and certainly don't call people stupid for taking advantage of professional opportunities that you could only dream of achieving on your own.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 29 May 2018 - 02:39 PM.

• JohnnyThompsonnum1 likes this

#13 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,228 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

I guess you feel that way about pretty much anyone who goes into professional football or Baseball. WWE has a pretty strict wellness policy that requires it's guys to get tested pretty frequently. Is it perfect and do some people fall through the cracks? Absolutely. But it's still a pretty good policy and probably better than most professional sports leagues.

As for Chris Nowinski yes he's suffered concusions that required him to retire. However I see to see in the very video you posted that according to his own words he suffered from a number of them undiagnosed during his youth sports, high school and college days. Are you also a proponent of eliminating youth, high school, and colligate sports?

Look I get it. You don't like prowrestling. That's fine, but atleast back up your statements with some legitimate validity and not some old outdated information of the past and certainly don't call people stupid for taking advantage of professional opportunities that you could only dream of achieving on your own.

Im honestly shocked that the board's most childish poster is a pro wrestling fan. 

• cjc007 likes this

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#14 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:20 PM

Im honestly shocked that the board's most childish poster is a pro wrestling fan.

You're a prowrestling fan?

#15 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,228 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

Brilliant
  • BigTenFanboy likes this

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#16 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:58 PM

Baseball doesn't have much of a concussion issue, so I'm not sure what you are talking about there.  Football does, but it's possible to play football and retire at the first signs of an issue as a millionaire (see Urschel). You're right though that it's not a great career choice long term if you have other options.  WWE is much worse than both of those. Virtually everyone in WWE is on steroids, and the WWE "athletes" can't retire after a 5-7 year career as millionaires.  It takes years of abuse to become popular and the pay is really only great for a couple of marquee names.  

Having actual wrestlers go into WWE, while nothing new, is also unfortunate since it adds credibility to this terrible enterprise as actually being wrestling.  In reality, we know it's just a bunch of men "acting" and slapping each other. My point is that it is a bit surprising to see someone from Duke make this decision, especially since it is a non scholarship program-in theory the reason to attend would be for the academics of the institution.  

Yup. Kasper’s gonna do roids. That’s what you got out of this ...

Meh.

I think the whole article is ridiculous- not just the potential for steroid abuse.  ESPN is treating WWE as if it's a real sport, discussing these guys as "prospects."  I haven't watched ESPN in a while (other than for live sports), but do they cover WWE now?  

Edited by Billyhoyle, 29 May 2018 - 05:01 PM.

#17 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:16 PM

Baseball doesn't have much of a concussion issue, so I'm not sure what you are talking about there. Football does, but it's possible to play football and retire at the first signs of an issue as a millionaire (see Urschel). You're right though that it's not a great career choice long term if you have other options. WWE is much worse than both of those. Virtually everyone in WWE is on steroids, and the WWE "athletes" can't retire after a 5-7 year career as millionaires. It takes years of abuse to become popular and the pay is really only great for a couple of marquee names.

Having actual wrestlers go into WWE, while nothing new, is also unfortunate since it adds credibility to this terrible enterprise as actually being wrestling. In reality, we know it's just a bunch of men "acting" and slapping each other. My point is that it is a bit surprising to see someone from Duke make this decision, especially since it is a non scholarship program-in theory the reason to attend would be for the academics of the institution.

I think the whole article is ridiculous- not just the potential for steroid abuse. ESPN is treating WWE as if it's a real sport, discussing these guys as "prospects." I haven't watched ESPN in a while (other than for live sports), but do they cover WWE now?

"Virtually everyone is on steroids." Please back up your data. You are speculating. As for WWE having a greater number of concussions over the NFL, again please back up your data.

In terms of baseball, the issue I was pointing out was not the concussion issue, but the steroid issue that you bring up. Why is there so much speculation that the Russian wrestlers are allroided up? WWE has a very transparate and strict drug and wellness policy where MANY of their employees have been publically fired over. I'm will to bet their testing policy is much more strict than that of most international sports.

ESPN does not specifically cover WWE events for results, but they do on occasion discuss when athletes crossover into the industry. No one claims that prowrestling is an actual sport anymore. That's been gone for about 20 years.

Furthermore, do you get worked up and think it's ridiculous when ESPN broadcasts Poker tournaments?

Let me ask you this? Would you be bothered if Kasper became a Hollywood stuntman? That's arguably just as "fake" as being a WWE Wrestler and probably more dangerous.

I'll tell you what I think is ridiculous. I think it's ridiculous that you have the nerve and gall to criticize his interests and life decisions. How do you know if Kasper hasnt been a life long fan of WWE and this wasn't a motivating force in his wrestling career thus far? All you pretentious wrestling "fans" need to get over yourself when you claim that real wrestlers go into prowrestling just for the money. Many of them actually love the industry.

Again, I get it. You don't like prowrestling. There's nothing wrong with that, but the reasons you use to justify yourself are BS and overwhelmingly false.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 29 May 2018 - 05:28 PM.

#18 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:31 PM

Well someone’s priorities are all jacked up.

Think of anything, and I do mean anything you want.....

I mean think of absolutely anything...

and I'd still rank caring about how themat.com forum members feel about me below it. 

#19 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:12 PM

"Virtually everyone is on steroids." Please back up your data. You are speculating. As for WWE having a greater number of concussions over the NFL, again please back up your data.

In terms of baseball, the issue I was pointing out was not the concussion issue, but the steroid issue that you bring up. Why is there so much speculation that the Russian wrestlers are allroided up? WWE has a very transparate and strict drug and wellness policy where MANY of their employees have been publically fired over. I'm will to bet their testing policy is much more strict than that of most international sports.

ESPN does not specifically cover WWE events for results, but they do on occasion discuss when athletes crossover into the industry. No one claims that prowrestling is an actual sport anymore. That's been gone for about 20 years.

Furthermore, do you get worked up and think it's ridiculous when ESPN broadcasts Poker tournaments?

Let me ask you this? Would you be bothered if Kasper became a Hollywood stuntman? That's arguably just as "fake" as being a WWE Wrestler and probably more dangerous.

I'll tell you what I think is ridiculous. I think it's ridiculous that you have the nerve and gall to criticize his interests and life decisions. How do you know if Kasper hasnt been a life long fan of WWE and this wasn't a motivating force in his wrestling career thus far? All you pretentious wrestling "fans" need to get over yourself when you claim that real wrestlers go into prowrestling just for the money. Many of them actually love the industry.

Again, I get it. You don't like prowrestling. There's nothing wrong with that, but the reasons you use to justify yourself are BS and overwhelmingly false.

So I can't express surprise that somebody with a degree from Duke would join WWE?  Duke is one of the great institutions of higher education in this country and WWE is the bottom of the barrel in terms of entertainment. That is a unique juxtaposition.  And yes, it is strange that ESPN covers WWE.  At least poker is a legitimate competition (i'd say broadcasting poker is akin to broadcasting chess or Go).  Covering WWE is covering a television drama.  Sure, some ex athletes are in soap operas, but is that really noteworthy? Lastly, do you really not think that most of the stars in WWE are on steroids??? Is that an opinion you hold or are you just demanding some type of "beyond a reasonable doubt" legal proof?  

Think of anything, and I do mean anything you want.....

I mean think of absolutely anything...

and I'd still rank caring about how themat.com forum members feel about me below it. 

Maybe we should have topics without any opinion at all.  Or maybe all of our replies should have to always be positive/supportive no matter what.  Isn't the whole point of a message board for members to provide their opinions?  In 8000 posts have you never posted something that someone else would disagree with?  For almost any post, you could easily respond with: "The opinions of an anonymous message board poster don't matter."  And I'm not saying that such a statement would be wrong, as our opinions don't really matter, but the whole point is just to have a discussion right?

#20 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:17 PM

So I can't express surprise that somebody with a degree from Duke would join WWE? Duke is one of the great institutions of higher education in this country and WWE is the bottom of the barrel in terms of entertainment. That is a unique juxtaposition. And yes, it is strange that ESPN covers WWE. At least poker is a legitimate competition (i'd say broadcasting poker is akin to broadcasting chess or Go). Covering WWE is covering a television drama. Sure, some ex athletes are in soap operas, but is that really noteworthy? Lastly, do you really not think that most of the stars in WWE are on steroids??? Is that an opinion you hold or are you just demanding some type of "beyond a reasonable doubt" legal proof?

Maybe we should have topics without any opinion at all. Or maybe all of our replies should have to always be positive/supportive no matter what. Isn't the whole point of a message board for members to provide their opinions? In 8000 posts have you never posted something that someone else would disagree with? For almost any post, you could easily respond with: "The opinions of an anonymous message board poster don't matter." And I'm not saying that such a statement would be wrong, as our opinions don't really matter, but the whole point is just to have a discussion right?

First off you didn't express surprise. You insulted Kasper for even considering the profession. Kasper is a well educated person from a top world class institution. One of the things you learn how to do when you are well educated is to recognize and take advatage of opportunities that present themselves to you. Kasper is smart and intelligent enough to recognize the fact that's he's been offered and opportunity to make a tremendous living, while garnering fame, and traveling all over the world, staying in incredible shape, while entertaining millions around the world(minus you ofcourse). He's smart enough to recognize the fact that signing with the WWE can open doors to virtually limitless amounts of connections in pretty much any and every industry that's out there. Acting, music, news and media broadcasting, education, health and fitness, politics, philanthropy, business and wallstreet just to name a few.

Second "bottom of the barrel?" That's your opinion yet you state it as fact. WWE is one of the most highly watched programs on tv and generates millions of dollars a year with its loyal fanbase. They are one of the biggest contributors to the Make a Wish Foundation as well as Susan G Komen. Yea, really bottom of the barrel stuff.

Third, yes WWE is a tv drama. And no it's not weird for them covering an athlete going to star in a tv drama. If LeBron James were to appear in a movie or Tv show would it be weird for ESPN to mention it? Yet it's weird when a multi time NCAA Wrestling AA is? So yes it is note worthy. Looks like you dont even respect our wrestlers enough or think they deserve media attention when they make appearances in the main stream media. So it's not weird for Poker which is gambling and a card game to be broadcast, but it's weird for ESPN to talk about the future places of an NCAA Athlete. Got it.

And No. I do not believe that most of the stars on WWE are on steroids. Years ago? Yes. Today? No. Please look at the current WWE ROSTER and tell me which one you think is currently juiced up. WWE wrestlers these days are not that big and muscular compared to what they looked like years ago. Outside of Bobby Lashley and Brock Lesnar no one is particularly jacked or oversized. Ironically those two are 2 former real wrestlers. Lesnar obviously an NCAA champ and Lashley a former NAIA champ. WWE's drug and wellness policy is pretty strict and they have suspended and fired many wrestlers in a very public fashion. Are there some who are using it? I'm sure there are, but they're doing their best to hide it and if caught they will be kicked out of the company.

As for opinions and discussions, no one said you couldn't express your opinion. In fact that's what message boards and discussion are for. With that said, imo your opinion on this topic is crap and I think I pretty clearly drafted out why. If you feel my opinion is crap, please feel free to offer a rebuttal. If you find holes in the things I wrote, point them out. You darn sure know that I will reply with holes in yours. That's called having a discussion. It's not about agreeing. It's about disagreed and explaining exactly why in a clear and concise manner.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 29 May 2018 - 08:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users