• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:13 AM

So I can't express surprise that somebody with a degree from Duke would join WWE?  Duke is one of the great institutions of higher education in this country and WWE is the bottom of the barrel in terms of entertainment. That is a unique juxtaposition.  And yes, it is strange that ESPN covers WWE.  At least poker is a legitimate competition (i'd say broadcasting poker is akin to broadcasting chess or Go).  Covering WWE is covering a television drama.  Sure, some ex athletes are in soap operas, but is that really noteworthy? Lastly, do you really not think that most of the stars in WWE are on steroids??? Is that an opinion you hold or are you just demanding some type of "beyond a reasonable doubt" legal proof?  

Maybe we should have topics without any opinion at all.  Or maybe all of our replies should have to always be positive/supportive no matter what.  Isn't the whole point of a message board for members to provide their opinions?  In 8000 posts have you never posted something that someone else would disagree with?  For almost any post, you could easily respond with: "The opinions of an anonymous message board poster don't matter."  And I'm not saying that such a statement would be wrong, as our opinions don't really matter, but the whole point is just to have a discussion right?

You completely miss the point of what I'm getting at. 

My point is Kasper doesn't nor should he give a hoot what anyone on themat.com thinks of him or for that matter what any wrestling fan thinks.  He doesn't know me from Adam, nor does he know you.  The audacity you have that Kasper should give a damn what you think or what anyone else thinks is ludicrous.  He doesn't.  He won't.  And most importantly, he shouldn't. 

You don't approve of what he's doing.  So what!?!?!?!?  Big deal.  Whoopie shy it. 

That's the point. 

Edited by JohnnyThompsonnum1, 30 May 2018 - 02:13 AM.

"Gable said something in the newspapers to the effect that he had to show up on the podium and accept defeat like he accepted winning. Personally, I think that's the mark of a true sportsman. Such antics as having to be called repeatedly to the awards podium, hopping down prematurely, trashing one's medal at the venue, etc., don't show how much a guy hates to lose, etc. Taking a loss like a man, then coming back to compete harder (again like Gable did) does." Hurricanewrestling

#22 stonerd7

stonerd7

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:14 AM

https://youtu.be/zrX9Ca7LSyQ  "That's an open hand slap, does that feel fake?"......One of the better 40 second clips you can find.

• Billyhoyle likes this

#23 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:42 AM

https://youtu.be/zrX9Ca7LSyQ  "That's an open hand slap, does that feel fake?"......One of the better 40 second clips you can find.

From the less famous Dave Schultz. 

• MikePorcelli and bnwtwg like this

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

#24 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:24 AM

I think pro wrestling is less than pointless and I can't understand anyone who would willingly watch it.  

But I can't fault someone for trying to get paid in any legal way possible.

• Housebuye likes this

#25 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:14 AM

You'd think a Duke wrestler would be too smart to get roided up and do this for a career.  

Pretty good money in it for a fake sport. I understand why he'd do it.

#26 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:18 AM

It's time for us "real" wrestlers to quit worrying about fake wrestling. I'd rather have our guys going into "pro" rasslin' than MMA. After a few years of MMA they'll have the brainpower of potatoes.

I saw a tweet from Dake last weekend blasting "stone cold" steve austin because Austin was picked as the rep of wrestling for something or other.  170 pound Dake was threatening to open up a can of whup ass on Austin. Don't get me wrong, in a real wrestling match I'd go with Dake, because he actually knows how to wrestle. But in a fight? Sorry Kyle, gotta go with the 250 pound bodybuilder.

#27 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,228 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:11 AM

^ Mr 3:16 is like 50 and his body is broken. Pretty sure Corey Dake could pummel Stone Cold

Edited by LemonPie, 01 June 2018 - 03:13 AM.

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#28 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:01 AM

It's time for us "real" wrestlers to quit worrying about fake wrestling. I'd rather have our guys going into "pro" rasslin' than MMA. After a few years of MMA they'll have the brainpower of potatoes.

I saw a tweet from Dake last weekend blasting "stone cold" steve austin because Austin was picked as the rep of wrestling for something or other.  170 pound Dake was threatening to open up a can of whup ass on Austin. Don't get me wrong, in a real wrestling match I'd go with Dake, because he actually knows how to wrestle. But in a fight? Sorry Kyle, gotta go with the 250 pound bodybuilder.

Austin has a surgically repaired neck from being broken and 2 really bad knees where he cant run and was at 250lbs at his physical prime. Dake would have no problems handling him.

• TobusRex likes this

#29 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:31 PM

• TobusRex likes this

#30 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:30 PM

Kids having fun.

I like it.

#31 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:32 PM

What would've been funny would've been if the reporter was a guy who wrestled in HS , who then took down David Schultz and proceeded to bend him into a pretzel.

Was pretty funny how the "pros" pretended offense at the sport being fake, especially since everybody with a functional brain already knew.

#32 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:13 PM

You can't honestly think pro wrestling is safer than MMA?  Pro Wrestlers end up just as broken and far more likely to commit suicide.

I'm with you.  I don't get why pro wrestling bothers people so much.  It's pointless but who cares.  But anyone arguing for pro wrestling being a safer career option doesn't pay attention.  I think deployed Marines are more likely to grow old than pro wrestlers.

#33 Idaho

Idaho

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:27 PM

It's "sports entertainment" and what they want are athletic guys with good builds. There was a day when "sports entertainment" was filled with amateur wrestlers who had mat skills that showed (Bob Backlund, Briscos, Williams, etc.). Now it is more about huge cut wrestlers with high flying, athletic moves. There are far more sports entertainers that do not have wrestling as a background than do - currently. 

#34 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:12 PM

I'm with you.  I don't get why pro wrestling bothers people so much.  It's pointless but who cares.  But anyone arguing for pro wrestling being a safer career option doesn't pay attention.  I think deployed Marines are more likely to grow old than pro wrestlers.

I just don't think it's something that should be celebrated or embraced by the wrestling community (or sports journalists).  I think it's irresponsible for ESPN to cover WWE given the drug abuse required to succeed in it-not to mention the fact that it's not a sport. 

It's "sports entertainment" and what they want are athletic guys with good builds roided up freaks. There was a day when "sports entertainment" was filled with amateur wrestlers who had mat skills that showed (Bob Backlund, Briscos, Williams, etc.). Now it is more about huge cut wrestlers with high flying, athletic moves. There are far more sports entertainers that do not have wrestling as a background than do - currently. 

FTFY

#35 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:37 PM

I saw a tweet from Dake last weekend blasting "stone cold" steve austin because Austin was picked as the rep of wrestling for something or other. 170 pound Dake was threatening to open up a can of whup ass on Austin. Don't get me wrong, in a real wrestling match I'd go with Dake, because he actually knows how to wrestle. But in a fight? Sorry Kyle, gotta go with the 250 pound bodybuilder.

Is this a joke? You still think muscles = ability to fight?

I’ve smashed plenty of huge guys in the gym but I’ll never forget the 120 pound female who killed me. Any time I’d do anything in the mat, she would choke me out. I felt completely helpless.

#36 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:53 AM

I just don't think it's something that should be celebrated or embraced by the wrestling community (or sports journalists).  I think it's irresponsible for ESPN to cover WWE given the drug abuse required to succeed in it-not to mention the fact that it's not a sport. 

FTFY

The 2 biggest "roided up freaks" currently are Brock Lesnar and Bobby Lashley. Interestingly enough they are 2 guys they that have legitimate wrestling backgrounds.

The biggest and most popular star in prowrestling these days is Daniel Bryan. Hardly a roided up freak. The days when the prowrestling industry wanted roided up bodybuilder freaks has passed, but you seem to be unable to get over that fact. Its far from the norm anymore. WWE has a very strict wellness policy in place where their performers get publicly fired for violating.

As for ESPN? They're going to cover anything and everything that will draw them viewership, whether is the major professional sports organizations, WWE, or Texas Hold'm Poker tournaments. To not cover such events would be "irresponsible" as they would be missed opportunities for viewership.

#37 sansbarksdale

sansbarksdale

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:52 AM

The 2 biggest "roided up freaks" currently are Brock Lesnar and Bobby Lashley. Interestingly enough they are 2 guys they that have legitimate wrestling backgrounds.

The biggest and most popular star in prowrestling these days is Daniel Bryan. Hardly a roided up freak. The days when the prowrestling industry wanted roided up bodybuilder freaks has passed, but you seem to be unable to get over that fact. Its far from the norm anymore. WWE has a very strict wellness policy in place where their performers get publicly fired for violating.

As for ESPN? They're going to cover anything and everything that will draw them viewership, whether is the major professional sports organizations, WWE, or Texas Hold'm Poker tournaments. To not cover such events would be "irresponsible" as they would be missed opportunities for viewership.

Daniel Bryan is nowhere near the biggest or most popular star in pro wrestling

#38 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:04 AM

Daniel Bryan is nowhere near the biggest or most popular star in pro wrestling

Your right I'm thinking 2015. AJ Styles or Shinsuke Nakamora are probably bigger names right now. Neither guy looks roided out.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 11 June 2018 - 11:04 AM.

#39 sansbarksdale

sansbarksdale

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:41 AM

Your right I'm thinking 2015. AJ Styles or Shinsuke Nakamora are probably bigger names right now. Neither guy looks roided out.

Wrong again. Neither of those two come close to guys like Lesnar, Cena, Orton or Reigns in overall popularity although the misleading live crowd responses might make it seem so.

#40 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:51 AM

Wrong again. Neither of those two come close to guys like Lesnar, Cena, Orton or Reigns in overall popularity although the misleading live crowd responses might make it seem so.

With the exception of Cena,these guys are far from the most popular.
Most established? Yes, but not the most popular.

The bottom line is that the WWE is not full of guys who are "roided up" like in the 80s and 90s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users