Photo

Why are colleges still wearing the singlet?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 CoachWrestling

CoachWrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

Why have no schools adopted the rash guard and fight shorts uniform? I assume the rules have been passed for colleges as well. Our own stubbornness will kill this sport. The only feasible reasons are tradition and that people will grab onto the looser uniforms.

#2 nyum

nyum

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:19 PM

Because the singlet is what keeps wrestlers from competing at the collegiate level *rolls eyes*
  • KCMO2 and John Coctostan like this

#3 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,432 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:20 PM

Because wrestlers aren't recruited(in the grow the sport sense) at the college level. 

The rationale behind the 2 piece is that is will help grass level recruiting. 

Edited by hammerlockthree, 30 May 2018 - 02:21 PM.

• herma48852 and bnwtwg like this

#4 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:45 PM

Why have no schools adopted the rash guard and fight shorts uniform? I assume the rules have been passed for colleges as well. Our own stubbornness will kill this sport. The only feasible reasons are tradition and that people will grab onto the looser uniforms.

They did use the 2 piece uniforms years ago. Only a few schools used them part time.. I remember Lehigh and Hofstra using them.. didn't really catch on. I think most wrestlers like the singlet. It's the nonwrestlers who now have 1 less excuse to give when explaining why they don't want to wrestle, that don't like them.
  • cbg and bnwtwg like this

#5 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:40 PM

Over the years, legends like Gable, Sanderson, Snyder, and Slater have built the singlet into one of the most recognizable brands in combat sports.  Fight shorts are associated with criminals like Jon Jones and Conor Mcgregor.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I think the branding for the singlet is way better than the fight shorts or "rash guard."  

Edited by Billyhoyle, 30 May 2018 - 05:40 PM.

#6 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:03 PM

Because it looks silly.

#7 lu1979

lu1979

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:27 AM

I think some schools were using the shirt/shorts uniform at times.  I know I saw a match with Edinboro wearing them and I think some other schools tried it as well.  I see no reason it shouldn't be an option if the schools want to use them.

#8 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:41 AM

Two piece uniform:
1. Looks worse
2. Less functional
3. Not what wrestlers are used to
4. Will not result in more participation at the college level

If lower levels believe it helps get kids to wrestle, then good for them and they should give it a try. That’s not a reason to have it in college.
  • gowrestle likes this

#9 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:18 AM

It may not factor into participation much, but how about viewership?

#10 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:23 AM

Probably somewhere between zero and none.

#11 Missourimatman

Missourimatman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:44 AM

Flo, not the singlet, assures viewership is minimal.

Edited by Missourimatman, 31 May 2018 - 02:43 AM.

• Missourimatman and John Coctostan like this

#12 stp

stp

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:56 AM

Because wrestling isn't MMA.

#13 olddirty

olddirty

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:29 AM

Over the years, legends like Gable, Sanderson, Snyder, and Slater have built the singlet into one of the most recognizable brands in combat sports.  Fight shorts are associated with criminals like Jon Jones and Conor Mcgregor.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I think the branding for the singlet is way better than the fight shorts or "rash guard."  

Jones wears muy thai shorts, Macgregor wears vale tudo shorts.  Neither wear rashguards to compete.  I do agree though, at the NCAA level, the singlet is a much better presentation of the sport and has much higher branding power.  When you think of NCAA wrestlers, a very distinct image comes to mind.

• herma48852 likes this

#14 bnwtwg

bnwtwg
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:47 AM

Fight shorts are also associated with former NCAA All-American champions like Matt Hughes. 

But seriously now shorts=criminals? Is your favorite movie Gran Torino by any chance?

#15 Eagle26

Eagle26

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:37 AM

I don't think the two piece uniforms would help college wrestlers in any way. Most serious wrestlers are used and prefer singlets. That said I have been a big advocate of the change to to two piece uniforms for recruiting new wrestlers especially jr. High age. I don't think many sports have completely different uniforms in high school and college, so it may help to keep things consistent. I can't see it having a big effect either way because, quite frankly, most new wrestlers will never watch NCAA wrestling.

#16 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:01 AM

the cool thing about the singlet is that you can go to any department store or sporting good store in america and purchase one, unlike compression shorts and tshirts. people are always buying one piece unitards to work out in, or just wear casually while doing errands or just lounging around the house. pulling down shoulder straps to pee is one of the many well loved features of the singlet. tight fighting shorts and tshirts will never catch on for these and many other reasons. 

• LoStNuMbEr, Missourimatman, Fletcher and 6 others like this

#17 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:16 AM

I always liked the two piece uniform (compression shorts version), but never thought it have any effect on participation. I just thought they looked cool. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 31 May 2018 - 11:16 AM.

#18 KingK0ng

KingK0ng

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:35 AM

Gable never wore a singlet while wrestling for Iowa St....

#19 Idaho

Idaho

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:44 AM

Because singlets are sexy

mabel-viscera-big-daddy.jpg

#20 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:10 PM

I dont think the singlet is associated or recognizable because of any of these legends. I would argue that the singlet being recognizable has much more to do with middle and high school kids that wrestle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users