CoachWrestling

Why are colleges still wearing the singlet?

Why have no schools adopted the rash guard and fight shorts uniform? I assume the rules have been passed for colleges as well. Our own stubbornness will kill this sport. The only feasible reasons are tradition and that people will grab onto the looser uniforms.

Why have no schools adopted the rash guard and fight shorts uniform? I assume the rules have been passed for colleges as well. Our own stubbornness will kill this sport. The only feasible reasons are tradition and that people will grab onto the looser uniforms.

They did use the 2 piece uniforms years ago. Only a few schools used them part time.. I remember Lehigh and Hofstra using them.. didn't really catch on. I think most wrestlers like the singlet. It's the nonwrestlers who now have 1 less excuse to give when explaining why they don't want to wrestle, that don't like them.

Over the years, legends like Gable, Sanderson, Snyder, and Slater have built the singlet into one of the most recognizable brands in combat sports.  Fight shorts are associated with criminals like Jon Jones and Conor Mcgregor.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I think the branding for the singlet is way better than the fight shorts or "rash guard."  

Edited by Billyhoyle

I think some schools were using the shirt/shorts uniform at times.  I know I saw a match with Edinboro wearing them and I think some other schools tried it as well.  I see no reason it shouldn't be an option if the schools want to use them.

Two piece uniform:

1. Looks worse

2. Less functional

3. Not what wrestlers are used to

4. Will not result in more participation at the college level

If lower levels believe it helps get kids to wrestle, then good for them and they should give it a try. That’s not a reason to have it in college.

Over the years, legends like Gable, Sanderson, Snyder, and Slater have built the singlet into one of the most recognizable brands in combat sports.  Fight shorts are associated with criminals like Jon Jones and Conor Mcgregor.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I think the branding for the singlet is way better than the fight shorts or "rash guard."  

Jones wears muy thai shorts, Macgregor wears vale tudo shorts.  Neither wear rashguards to compete.  I do agree though, at the NCAA level, the singlet is a much better presentation of the sport and has much higher branding power.  When you think of NCAA wrestlers, a very distinct image comes to mind.

Fight shorts are also associated with former NCAA All-American champions like Matt Hughes. 

But seriously now shorts=criminals? Is your favorite movie Gran Torino by any chance?

I don't think the two piece uniforms would help college wrestlers in any way. Most serious wrestlers are used and prefer singlets. That said I have been a big advocate of the change to to two piece uniforms for recruiting new wrestlers especially jr. High age. I don't think many sports have completely different uniforms in high school and college, so it may help to keep things consistent. I can't see it having a big effect either way because, quite frankly, most new wrestlers will never watch NCAA wrestling.

the cool thing about the singlet is that you can go to any department store or sporting good store in america and purchase one, unlike compression shorts and tshirts. people are always buying one piece unitards to work out in, or just wear casually while doing errands or just lounging around the house. pulling down shoulder straps to pee is one of the many well loved features of the singlet. tight fighting shorts and tshirts will never catch on for these and many other reasons. 

Gable never wore a singlet while wrestling for Iowa St....

I dont think the singlet is associated or recognizable because of any of these legends. I would argue that the singlet being recognizable has much more to do with middle and high school kids that wrestle.

They did use the 2 piece uniforms years ago. Only a few schools used them part time.. I remember Lehigh and Hofstra using them.. didn't really catch on. I think most wrestlers like the singlet. It's the nonwrestlers who now have 1 less excuse to give when explaining why they don't want to wrestle, that don't like them.

I don't know why so many people have forgotten this.  Chattanooga, The Citadel, Hofstra and Lehigh are the only teams I remember using them, and I think Lehigh only used them part time.  Chattanooga, the Citadel and Lehigh used them the entire season, including conference and the NCAA's.  There is video found easily enough of Charles Griffin wearing one Vs Teyon Ware.  

This video is over 10 years old, and people act like the idea of shirts and shorts is something new. 

I've never worn them, but compared to a singlet, they look extremely uncomfortable. If you watch, Griffin is consistently tugging at the shirt and the shorts. 

Looks I'm sure is a concern, but I would think comfort would be one too.  

Hence why so many schools now have singlets that come just above the knee vs the old school ones that road the crotch something fierce.  Jam length, I think is what they call it. 

the cool thing about the singlet is that you can go to any department store or sporting good store in america and purchase one, unlike compression shorts and tshirts. people are always buying one piece unitards to work out in, or just wear casually while doing errands or just lounging around the house. pulling down shoulder straps to pee is one of the many well loved features of the singlet. tight fighting shorts and tshirts will never catch on for these and many other reasons.

I don't see many at the gym or casually walking down the street wearing an MMA style uniform either. In five years at my current school, I've never seen a kid wearing fight shorts.

I don't see many at the gym or casually walking down the street wearing an MMA style uniform either. In five years at my current school, I've never seen a kid wearing fight shorts.

yes that was my point. no one wears spandex shorts or shirts in any setting ever but they do often wear singlets. they are a popular item among active youths of all types!