CoachWrestling

Why are colleges still wearing the singlet?

As someone who wrestled in 1) shorts and T-shirt and 2) singlets, I much prefer singlets. Don't have to worry about your shorts getting pulled down. Not that I would mind showing off my massive genitalia, but it would traumatize all the women/girls in attendance, and probably 99% of the males would develop inferiority issues.

Jones wears muy thai shorts, Macgregor wears vale tudo shorts. Neither wear rashguards to compete. I do agree though, at the NCAA level, the singlet is a much better presentation of the sport and has much higher branding power. When you think of NCAA wrestlers, a very distinct image comes to mind.

Yeah one that is a laughing stock to most.

The uniform that Hofstra adopted a few years ago still required tight shorts. The uniform the nhsca (high school) approved allows a board short type bottom. I don’t think that is approved at the NCAA level.

My team wore a two piece (high school version) uniform the entire season. In fact a large number of programs adopted a two piece in NJ. They were very well received and had zero uniform malfunctions as far as my team was concerned. No shorts coming down or bellys hanging out.

Two piece uniform:

1. Looks worse

2. Less functional

3. Not what wrestlers are used to

4. Will not result in more participation at the college level

If lower levels believe it helps get kids to wrestle, then good for them and they should give it a try. That’s not a reason to have it in college.

Response to #3 when I wrestled I never practiced in a singlet. I always wore shorts and T-shirt, so I think most would wrestlers would be used to wearing something similar to the 2 piece uniforms

Response to #3 when I wrestled I never practiced in a singlet. I always wore shorts and T-shirt, so I think most would wrestlers would be used to wearing something similar to the 2 piece uniforms

Yeah, either shorts and T-shirt, or sweats. I usually wore cotton sweatpants/shirts.

Edited by TobusRex

Yeah one that is a laughing stock to most.

but it wont end there. say we get rid of the singlet. guess what, they will find something else to say.

people who aren't man enough always make the homophobic comments. wont end b/c of a singlet.

At the grass roots level it does have a positive effect in “recruiting the hallways”. There’s no question, I’ve seen it first hand. College level that’s not a factor and personally I prefer sticking with the singlet. But it’s all personal preference. As far as the two piece goes I do prefer compression shorts over fight shorts.

They do quite often.

People complaining about the logistics and comfort of a shirt and shorts, as if college wrestlers in America are training in singlets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

At the grass roots level it does have a positive effect in “recruiting the hallways”. There’s no question, I’ve seen it first hand. College level that’s not a factor and personally I prefer sticking with the singlet. But it’s all personal preference. As far as the two piece goes I do prefer compression shorts over fight shorts.

If we are relying on anecdotal evidence, there is a question. I bought 2 piece uniforms this year, and they made no difference in attracting new participants.

If we are relying on anecdotal evidence, there is a question. I bought 2 piece uniforms this year, and they made no difference in attracting new participants.

Can only go on what I’ve seen directly, which it has, and word from others that it helped in their programs. Of course not every single program across the country is going to see a spike, especially in the first year. But that’s not what it takes in order to be a positive. There are many programs across the country where it didn’t have any affect this year. But since there are some programs where it did, then no there is no question. It has made a positive impact thus far.

Unless there were programs that lost kids due to the two piece, but I haven’t heard of any of those instances.

but it wont end there. say we get rid of the singlet. guess what, they will find something else to say.

people who aren't man enough always make the homophobic comments. wont end b/c of a singlet.

I disagree, I think the look of the singlet plays a major role in that mindset.

When I practiced I always wore plastics under 3 other layers.  That kept my coaches from hearing the crunching.

I disagree, I think the look of the singlet plays a major role in that mindset.

I think it's an easy excuse for kids that don't want to wrestle. It's tough for kids to admit that wrestling is darn difficult, so saying it's the singlet is an easy out for them. Now that the singlet is no longer an issue we should have seen huge turn out this past year if these kids actually told the turth. Instead we see even more decline in particpation.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I think it's an easy excuse for kids that don't want to wrestle. It's tough for kids to admit that wrestling is darn difficult, so saying it's the singlet is an easy out for them. Now that the singlet is no longer an issue we should have seen huge turn out this past year if these kids actually told the turth. Instead we see even more decline in particpation.

I think you're seriously downplaying how homophobic we are as a society. There are definitely a fair amount of people who don't want to wrestle because they think it's homoerotic. Sad but true. 

I think you're seriously downplaying how homophobic we are as a society. There are definitely a fair amount of people who don't want to wrestle because they think it's homoerotic. Sad but true.

In what way did I downplay that factor?

Yes wrestling being "gay" is another excuse kids use not to wrestle.

When I was in high school our quarterback used to say wrestling was "gay" all the time, to which I responded "I guess you don't consider having the center bend over in front of you with his butt in the air and you go right up behind him with your hands pushed up against his crotch "gay?"

Do I think these kids truly believe wrestling is gay? No. I think it's another excuse kids give because they simply don't want to admit that wrestling it's too darn hard for them.

In what way did I downplay that factor?

Yes wrestling being "gay" is another excuse kids use not to wrestle.

When I was in high school our quarterback used to say wrestling was "gay" all the time, to which I responded "I guess you don't consider having the center bend over in front of you with his butt in the air and you go right up behind him with your hands pushed up against his crotch "gay?"

Do I think these kids truly believe wrestling is gay? No. I think it's another excuse kids give because they simply don't want to admit that wrestling it's too darn hard for them.

You generally don’t change your mind in arguments on here so I don’t want to waste time and energy, but what I will say is that you are being naive about the sport. Wrestling is the hardest sport, but it doesn’t look like the hardest sport. It actually doesn’t look that hard at all. People are uncomfortable by the sport.

Where did you find the participation numbers for 2017-2018? I’ve been looking for them but haven’t been able to find anything past 16-17. I did find where as of last month USA Wrestling has the highest number of memberships ever.

Where did you find the participation numbers for 2017-2018? I’ve been looking for them but haven’t been able to find anything past 16-17. I did find where as of last month USA Wrestling has the highest number of memberships ever.

So numbers are increasing?