Photo

Why are colleges still wearing the singlet?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,421 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

They did use the 2 piece uniforms years ago. Only a few schools used them part time.. I remember Lehigh and Hofstra using them.. didn't really catch on. I think most wrestlers like the singlet. It's the nonwrestlers who now have 1 less excuse to give when explaining why they don't want to wrestle, that don't like them.

I don't know why so many people have forgotten this.  Chattanooga, The Citadel, Hofstra and Lehigh are the only teams I remember using them, and I think Lehigh only used them part time.  Chattanooga, the Citadel and Lehigh used them the entire season, including conference and the NCAA's.  There is video found easily enough of Charles Griffin wearing one Vs Teyon Ware.   This video is over 10 years old, and people act like the idea of shirts and shorts is something new. 

I've never worn them, but compared to a singlet, they look extremely uncomfortable. If you watch, Griffin is consistently tugging at the shirt and the shorts. 

Looks I'm sure is a concern, but I would think comfort would be one too.  

Hence why so many schools now have singlets that come just above the knee vs the old school ones that road the crotch something fierce.  Jam length, I think is what they call it. 

"Gable said something in the newspapers to the effect that he had to show up on the podium and accept defeat like he accepted winning. Personally, I think that's the mark of a true sportsman. Such antics as having to be called repeatedly to the awards podium, hopping down prematurely, trashing one's medal at the venue, etc., don't show how much a guy hates to lose, etc. Taking a loss like a man, then coming back to compete harder (again like Gable did) does." Hurricanewrestling

#22 CoachWrestling

CoachWrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

We need to eliminate male camel toe. It’s not a good look.

#23 Missourimatman

Missourimatman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:45 PM

the cool thing about the singlet is that you can go to any department store or sporting good store in america and purchase one, unlike compression shorts and tshirts. people are always buying one piece unitards to work out in, or just wear casually while doing errands or just lounging around the house. pulling down shoulder straps to pee is one of the many well loved features of the singlet. tight fighting shorts and tshirts will never catch on for these and many other reasons.

I don't see many at the gym or casually walking down the street wearing an MMA style uniform either. In five years at my current school, I've never seen a kid wearing fight shorts.

#24 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:48 PM

I don't see many at the gym or casually walking down the street wearing an MMA style uniform either. In five years at my current school, I've never seen a kid wearing fight shorts.

yes that was my point. no one wears spandex shorts or shirts in any setting ever but they do often wear singlets. they are a popular item among active youths of all types!

• KTG119 likes this

#25 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:42 PM

UTC and The Citadel were full season. Lehigh was a one off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

#26 KTG119

KTG119

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:58 PM

iirc, Mizzou wore at least once as well. scene from Veritas maybe, Trenge and his Mizzou opponent both with the alternate uniform.

#27 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:04 AM

iirc, Mizzou wore at least once as well. scene from Veritas maybe, Trenge and his Mizzou opponent both with the alternate uniform.

We did that match at the NYAC. Had to ask for permission from the NCAA.

• KCMO2 and KTG119 like this

#28 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:43 AM

As someone who wrestled in 1) shorts and T-shirt and 2) singlets, I much prefer singlets. Don't have to worry about your shorts getting pulled down. Not that I would mind showing off my massive genitalia, but it would traumatize all the women/girls in attendance, and probably 99% of the males would develop inferiority issues.

#29 olddirty

olddirty

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:27 AM

People complaining about the logistics and comfort of a shirt and shorts, as if college wrestlers in America are training in singlets.

#30 AnklePicker

AnklePicker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:10 AM

Jones wears muy thai shorts, Macgregor wears vale tudo shorts. Neither wear rashguards to compete. I do agree though, at the NCAA level, the singlet is a much better presentation of the sport and has much higher branding power. When you think of NCAA wrestlers, a very distinct image comes to mind.

Yeah one that is a laughing stock to most.

#31 AnklePicker

AnklePicker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:16 AM

The uniform that Hofstra adopted a few years ago still required tight shorts. The uniform the nhsca (high school) approved allows a board short type bottom. I don’t think that is approved at the NCAA level.

My team wore a two piece (high school version) uniform the entire season. In fact a large number of programs adopted a two piece in NJ. They were very well received and had zero uniform malfunctions as far as my team was concerned. No shorts coming down or bellys hanging out.

#32 Idaho

Idaho

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:52 AM

People complaining about the logistics and comfort of a shirt and shorts, as if college wrestlers in America are training in singlets.

and......

schoeffling01.jpg

vision3.jpg

Edited by Idaho, 01 June 2018 - 08:53 AM.

• JBluegill133 likes this

#33 Ogalthorpe Haywood

Ogalthorpe Haywood

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:19 PM

Two piece uniform:
1. Looks worse
2. Less functional
3. Not what wrestlers are used to
4. Will not result in more participation at the college level
If lower levels believe it helps get kids to wrestle, then good for them and they should give it a try. That’s not a reason to have it in college.

Response to #3 when I wrestled I never practiced in a singlet. I always wore shorts and T-shirt, so I think most would wrestlers would be used to wearing something similar to the 2 piece uniforms

#34 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:21 AM

Response to #3 when I wrestled I never practiced in a singlet. I always wore shorts and T-shirt, so I think most would wrestlers would be used to wearing something similar to the 2 piece uniforms

Yeah, either shorts and T-shirt, or sweats. I usually wore cotton sweatpants/shirts.

Edited by TobusRex, 02 June 2018 - 01:21 AM.

#35 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:43 AM

Yeah one that is a laughing stock to most.

but it wont end there. say we get rid of the singlet. guess what, they will find something else to say.

people who aren't man enough always make the homophobic comments. wont end b/c of a singlet.

#36 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:20 AM

At the grass roots level it does have a positive effect in “recruiting the hallways”. There’s no question, I’ve seen it first hand. College level that’s not a factor and personally I prefer sticking with the singlet. But it’s all personal preference. As far as the two piece goes I do prefer compression shorts over fight shorts.
  • Missourimatman and GranbyTroll like this

#37 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:11 AM

They do quite often.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#38 Missourimatman

Missourimatman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:42 AM

At the grass roots level it does have a positive effect in “recruiting the hallways”. There’s no question, I’ve seen it first hand. College level that’s not a factor and personally I prefer sticking with the singlet. But it’s all personal preference. As far as the two piece goes I do prefer compression shorts over fight shorts.

If we are relying on anecdotal evidence, there is a question. I bought 2 piece uniforms this year, and they made no difference in attracting new participants.

#39 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:56 AM

I've said it before: greased, naked wrestling is the way to go. It worked for the Greeks for thousands of years! Think of all the money you'd save on detergent.

#40 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:32 AM

If we are relying on anecdotal evidence, there is a question. I bought 2 piece uniforms this year, and they made no difference in attracting new participants.

Can only go on what I’ve seen directly, which it has, and word from others that it helped in their programs. Of course not every single program across the country is going to see a spike, especially in the first year. But that’s not what it takes in order to be a positive. There are many programs across the country where it didn’t have any affect this year. But since there are some programs where it did, then no there is no question. It has made a positive impact thus far.

Unless there were programs that lost kids due to the two piece, but I haven’t heard of any of those instances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users