Photo

Why are colleges still wearing the singlet?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 CoachWrestling

CoachWrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:32 AM

The fact that wrestling fans will argue that male camel toe does not impact participation and popularity just shows how stubborn they are.
  • tclark and pamela like this

#42 AnklePicker

AnklePicker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:20 AM

but it wont end there. say we get rid of the singlet. guess what, they will find something else to say.

people who aren't man enough always make the homophobic comments. wont end b/c of a singlet.

I disagree, I think the look of the singlet plays a major role in that mindset.

#43 KCMO2

KCMO2

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:21 PM

Response to #3 when I wrestled I never practiced in a singlet. I always wore shorts and T-shirt, so I think most would wrestlers would be used to wearing something similar to the 2 piece uniforms

When I practiced I always wore plastics under 3 other layers.  That kept my coaches from hearing the crunching.

#44 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:05 PM

I disagree, I think the look of the singlet plays a major role in that mindset.

I think it's an easy excuse for kids that don't want to wrestle. It's tough for kids to admit that wrestling is darn difficult, so saying it's the singlet is an easy out for them. Now that the singlet is no longer an issue we should have seen huge turn out this past year if these kids actually told the turth. Instead we see even more decline in particpation.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 03 June 2018 - 03:05 PM.

• KCMO2 likes this

#45 CoachWrestling

CoachWrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:11 PM

I think it's an easy excuse for kids that don't want to wrestle. It's tough for kids to admit that wrestling is darn difficult, so saying it's the singlet is an easy out for them. Now that the singlet is no longer an issue we should have seen huge turn out this past year if these kids actually told the turth. Instead we see even more decline in particpation.

I think you're seriously downplaying how homophobic we are as a society. There are definitely a fair amount of people who don't want to wrestle because they think it's homoerotic. Sad but true. 

• GockeS likes this

#46 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

I think you're seriously downplaying how homophobic we are as a society. There are definitely a fair amount of people who don't want to wrestle because they think it's homoerotic. Sad but true.

In what way did I downplay that factor?
Yes wrestling being "gay" is another excuse kids use not to wrestle.
When I was in high school our quarterback used to say wrestling was "gay" all the time, to which I responded "I guess you don't consider having the center bend over in front of you with his butt in the air and you go right up behind him with your hands pushed up against his crotch "gay?"
Do I think these kids truly believe wrestling is gay? No. I think it's another excuse kids give because they simply don't want to admit that wrestling it's too darn hard for them.
  • GockeS likes this

#47 CoachWrestling

CoachWrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:46 PM

In what way did I downplay that factor?
Yes wrestling being "gay" is another excuse kids use not to wrestle.
When I was in high school our quarterback used to say wrestling was "gay" all the time, to which I responded "I guess you don't consider having the center bend over in front of you with his butt in the air and you go right up behind him with your hands pushed up against his crotch "gay?"
Do I think these kids truly believe wrestling is gay? No. I think it's another excuse kids give because they simply don't want to admit that wrestling it's too darn hard for them.

You generally don’t change your mind in arguments on here so I don’t want to waste time and energy, but what I will say is that you are being naive about the sport. Wrestling is the hardest sport, but it doesn’t look like the hardest sport. It actually doesn’t look that hard at all. People are uncomfortable by the sport.
  • pamela likes this

#48 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:07 AM

Where did you find the participation numbers for 2017-2018? I’ve been looking for them but haven’t been able to find anything past 16-17. I did find where as of last month USA Wrestling has the highest number of memberships ever.

#49 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:26 AM

Where did you find the participation numbers for 2017-2018? I’ve been looking for them but haven’t been able to find anything past 16-17. I did find where as of last month USA Wrestling has the highest number of memberships ever.

So numbers are increasing?

#50 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:37 AM

I’ve only seen the USAwrestling numbers, which are. But I haven’t been able to find the HS numbers you alluded to.

Edited by Lurker, 04 June 2018 - 05:37 AM.

#51 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:42 AM

NFHS numbers are released a year behind. We won’t get this year’s numbers until next year.

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

#52 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:45 AM

So I guess my question would be then where did BTFB get his information that numbers decreased.

#53 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

So I guess my question would be then where did BTFB get his information that numbers decreased.

During this past season, I read a few articles with high school coaches discussing low numbers in their programs which traditionally would fill out decent numbers. One coach was quoted in saying in the past kids told him they would wrestle if not for the singlet. Where are those kids now?

I will see if I can still find it.
But no I don't have direct numbers on this past years decline or increase, however it's been pretty well known numbers have been declining for years. Otherwise, why would there be talks of decreasing the number of high school weights?

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 04 June 2018 - 10:59 AM.

#54 Missourimatman

Missourimatman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:40 AM

I can only speak for numbers in Missouri, numbers at both the HS level and USA youth level continued to decline this year.

#55 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:53 AM

Bottom line is, the two piece at the grass roots level can only help, it cannot hurt. Not denying that there are those that say “if not for the singlet” as an easy out but that’s not the real reason. No doubt that is the case for some kids. What I am saying is that there are also some kids for which that is truly a huge deterrent. And now that there’s options, can only help and not hurt. I personally, not from an article but directly, have seen kids who did decide to give it a try once they learned that is the new uniform. Obviously that’s not the case in every single program across the country. But let’s say for arguments sake, one freshman kid in each state changed their mind each year, that’s 50 new kids (not a stretch of the imagination). How can anyone possibly say that’s not a positive. So my point is, to downplay it as no effect, just because it doesn’t effect EVERYONE who ever used that excuse, is ignoring those we can get for the sake of those who we won’t anyway.

#56 AnklePicker

AnklePicker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:39 PM

Do you folks really believe there’s going to be an instant jump in participation numbers? Most kids who didn’t wrestle just had the opportunity to see and realize that the uniform had changed. It’s going to take a bit of time to have an impact.

I just can’t understand why anyone would not want to give something new a try. I’m around middle school and high school kids all the time, trust me the singlets are a barrier and a laughing stock. It’s not just potential wrestlers using it as an excuse, it’s girls, parents and the vast majority of non wrestlers.
  • tclark and Eagle26 like this

#57 jeffr_ideal

jeffr_ideal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:38 PM

I think it is a matter of functionality.  Yes, we practice in shorts and t-shirts, but those are easy to come by.  Singlets back in my day were not easy to come by and expensive.   But back to functionality, I think shorts, t-shirts and sweats all pose a risk of catching a thumb or finger.  Shooting in on a single and your thumb catches loose clothing is not a good thing.  Singlets take a major injury element out of the sport. 

#58 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:10 PM

Hey I'm all for the 2 piece uniform. I personally don't like the fight shorts but that's a personal opinion. I don't think it's going to have the effects that some are making it out to have but to each his own. I just like the 2 piece uniform because I always thought they looked cool.

#59 AnklePicker

AnklePicker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:05 PM

I think it is a matter of functionality. Yes, we practice in shorts and t-shirts, but those are easy to come by. Singlets back in my day were not easy to come by and expensive. But back to functionality, I think shorts, t-shirts and sweats all pose a risk of catching a thumb or finger. Shooting in on a single and your thumb catches loose clothing is not a good thing. Singlets take a major injury element out of the sport.

My high school team wrestled in the newly approved two piece uniforms and we didn’t have one issue/injury with fingers getting caught. We also wrestled a bunch of teams who also wore a two piece and same thing, no issues with fingers getting caught.

#60 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:49 AM

I believe both of these things to be true for the younger ages:

1. The shirt/shorts combo could increase participation among those who are weighing participation and have some discomfort with wearing a singlet.

2. There are zero people who would love to wrestle and the only thing stopping them is the singlet. Anyone who has said otherwise in the past will come up with new excuses when presented with an alternative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users