Photo

Why are colleges still wearing the singlet?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:15 AM

I think it's an easy excuse for kids that don't want to wrestle. It's tough for kids to admit that wrestling is darn difficult, so saying it's the singlet is an easy out for them. Now that the singlet is no longer an issue we should have seen huge turn out this past year if these kids actually told the turth. Instead we see even more decline in particpation.

they weren't.

#62 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:09 AM

NHSCA Duals was packed again on Memorial Day weekend but a JH duals in PA in January is dead with forfeits.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#63 Eagle26

Eagle26

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:41 PM

I believe both of these things to be true for the younger ages:

1. The shirt/shorts combo could increase participation among those who are weighing participation and have some discomfort with wearing a singlet.
2. There are zero people who would love to wrestle and the only thing stopping them is the singlet. Anyone who has said otherwise in the past will come up with new excuses when presented with an alternative.

#2. Is not true... I have seen a kid that would've loved to wrestle but his parent would not allow him to solely because of the singlet. Crazy but true. There has to be other similar situations. What about the heavy set jr. High kid that would wrestle if he didn't have to wear a singlet in front of everyone?

#64 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:34 PM

#2. Is not true... I have seen a kid that would've loved to wrestle but his parent would not allow him to solely because of the singlet. Crazy but true. There has to be other similar situations. What about the heavy set jr. High kid that would wrestle if he didn't have to wear a singlet in front of everyone?

If it makes you feel any better that kid who wanted to wrestle but the singlet kept him out....that kid probably would've washed out anyway or been a career benchwarmer.

#65 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:39 AM

If it makes you feel any better that kid who wanted to wrestle but the singlet kept him out....that kid probably would've washed out anyway or been a career benchwarmer.

It would be worth it if those kids became lifetime fans and supporters of wrestling after giving it a try, though. Sports is full of ppl who suck at playing but are die-hard fans. Look at soccer... or football.
  • Tofurky likes this

#66 CA_Wrestler

CA_Wrestler

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:22 AM

Gable basically wore a sleeveless onesie at Iowa State when he was competing....

• MikePorcelli likes this

#67 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:43 AM

Gable basically wore a sleeveless onesie at Iowa State when he was competing....

with the underwear shorts on top of this pants.

• CA_Wrestler likes this

#68 PSUMike

PSUMike

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:15 AM

We need to eliminate male camel toe. It’s not a good look.

For men, it's camel hump.

#69 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:35 AM

2. There are zero people who would love to wrestle and the only thing stopping them is the singlet. Anyone who has said otherwise in the past will come up with new excuses when presented with an alternative.

I know I've explained my own self-conscious issues being an overweight kid interested in wrestling in numerous other posts. These people do indeed exists - I was one of them. Took a while to get over that issue. I still never felt comfortable wearing a singlet. 

• Housebuye likes this

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

#70 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:55 AM

Honest question, how much better is a spandex top and compression shorts at hiding a physique that a kid is embarrassed to show???????

#71 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:37 AM

Honest question, how much better is a spandex top and compression shorts at hiding a physique that a kid is embarrassed to show???????

a tshirt won't hide your physique in a pool either but thats a popular move for larger kids. 

the shorts and shirt combo is about multiple things. 1) is that no one will ever buy or wear a singlet for anything other than wrestling competitions because it is a ridiculous spandex unitard. 2) is that kids would be less hesitant to try a sport if the only outfit you could compete in wasn't a ridiculous spandex unitard. 

i think the obvious move is to have options. kids that like spandex unitards can wear them. kids that like fight shorts and compression tops can wear them. kids that prefer regular gym shorts and tshirt can wear that. 

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek, 12 June 2018 - 12:12 PM.

• Tofurky likes this

#72 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,761 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:42 AM

Now we’re talking!

4ec8e962f06100565b8ea4b84cc45bdc.jpg

#73 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:12 AM

Over the years, legends like Gable, Sanderson, Snyder, and Slater have built the singlet into one of the most recognizable brands in combat sports. Fight shorts are associated with criminals like Jon Jones and Conor Mcgregor. I don't know about the rest of you, but I think the branding for the singlet is way better than the fight shorts or "rash guard."

There are plenty of upstanding mma fighters too. Stop trying to twist the narrative
  • CoachWrestling likes this

#74 AnklePicker

AnklePicker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:48 PM

The shorts aren’t compression shorts. Just regular shorts.

#75 CoachWrestling

CoachWrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:19 PM

A fair amount better. If I was overweight, I would be so embarrassed about my nipples popping out.

#76 KSchlosser

KSchlosser

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:52 AM

Personally i would like to see coaches start wearing singlets at practice and in the corner. If baseball managers have to dress so should wrestling coaches.

#77 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:18 AM

Personally i would like to see coaches start wearing singlets at practice and in the corner. If baseball managers have to dress so should wrestling coaches.

Does this go for football coaches wearing pads and a helmet as well?
What about basketball coaches wearing jerseys and shorts?
Ice hockey coaches wearing skates and pads, etc?
Swimming coaches wearing speedos?

Baseball is the outlier where coaches wear the same uniform.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 15 June 2018 - 09:19 AM.

• MikePorcelli likes this

#78 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:17 PM

Does this go for football coaches wearing pads and a helmet as well?
What about basketball coaches wearing jerseys and shorts?
Ice hockey coaches wearing skates and pads, etc?
Swimming coaches wearing speedos?

Baseball is the outlier where coaches wear the same uniform.

But wrestling is maybe the only sport where you train in something totally different than what you compete in even though that is changing with more kids and college wrestlers wearing singlets in practice.

#79 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:14 PM

But wrestling is maybe the only sport where you train in something totally different than what you compete in even though that is changing with more kids and college wrestlers wearing singlets in practice.

So you, like Kschlosser, would like to see the coaches wearing singlets while coaching wrestlers because baseball managers wear the same uniform as their baseball team?

It's not uncommon for wrestlers to train in compression shirts and compression shorts.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 15 June 2018 - 01:16 PM.

#80 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:19 AM

So you, like Kschlosser, would like to see the coaches wearing singlets while coaching wrestlers because baseball managers wear the same uniform as their baseball team?

It's not uncommon for wrestlers to train in compression shirts and compression shorts.

Yeah...that's what I said. Jeez.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users