• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OhioSpladle

OhioSpladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

How will things look for the rebuilding cyclones next season? I was expecting big things from this staff and am excited to see how things progress. They return NCAA qualifier Degen who was r12 I believe. Gomez will be at 133? He should certainly provide some bright spots. Carr and Shapiro redshirt? The HWT Gremmel was a 2x fargo champ who had a solid redshirt season? Thoughts? Expectations for the coming season?

#2 sludgeworth

sludgeworth
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:23 PM

They will definitely be much improved.  Gomez, Parker, Degen, Straw, Jennings, and Coleman should be very solid from 133-174. They'll get good production from Colbray and Gremmel up top.  Carr hanging  in redshirt.

Things are definitely looking up in Ames.  They may make a run for Big 12 runner-up this season.  

#3 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

There might be a couple of Cyclones on the board that would know more. Here's what I assume based on zero inside information:

One thing is for sure... this year will be better than last.  Trying to revive a program with a relatively bare cupboard isn't easy.  The coaching staff came away with a few black eyes when they weren't able to hold on to any recruits, plus the whole Storr saga... point being, this year will be better.  

125) Mackall?  -- a .500 or better record here is probably a win -- they need to land a high level 125 recruit.

133) Gomez -- highest upside of anyone in the lineup, expect him to be a bright spot this year.  Look for him to place at junior worlds this summer, multi-time AA

141) Parker -- had a decent year, a little up and down, but hey, he did beat Dean Heil.  I say R12.

149) Degen -- R12 last year and got hot at the right time... 149 from 5 - 15 next year is a real mixed bag, potential AA likely R12 again.

157) Straw -- look for some improvement on a .500 season

165) Jennings -- maybe NCAA qualifier, depending on b12 allocations

174) Coleman -- wrestled a ton last year and only lost twice to Lujan... admittedly I've never seen him wrestle but he was top 50 recruit a couple years back

184) unknown... this is a hole.  Do they throw Shapiro in hear as a true frosh? I'd say redshirt him but we'll see.  

197) Colbray -- had some decent wins and some bad losses this year... NCAA qual at best

285) Gremmel -- should be a passable heavy this year... some upside potential

This season for ISU isn't really about results IMO... more about improvement and development. That said, they could come away with a couple of AA's and throw in a few more qualifiers... they just need to get the ball rolling.  

Their biggest win of the year was securing David Carr.  A true blue chipper and 4x AA, potential future champ IMO. Having Gomez and Carr leading the charge for the next 3 years could turn some recruits heads.  Class of 2019 they've already secured another top 10 recruit in Foca.  If they can get close to a top 5 recruiting class next year they'll be well on their way to heading back into the top 5.  

• Peso likes this

#4 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

look for a very unbalanced lineup.

#5 buf87

buf87

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

Just got a commitment from junior Aden Reeves. I think he will be a career 125.

#6 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:45 AM

ISU will suck next season. Hoping for them to do well, though. They are about on par with another fallen hero, OU.

• BLT likes this

#7 KTG119

KTG119

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:50 AM

ISU will suck next season. Hoping for them to do well, though. They are about on par with another fallen hero, OU.

38.5 between Oklahoma St and Oklahoma last year. Other than '93 when the Cowboys couldn't compete, all time low for a combined score for these two? 

• GranbyTroll likes this

#8 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:53 AM

38.5 between Oklahoma St and Oklahoma last year. Other than '93 when the Cowboys couldn't compete, all time low for a combined score for these two? 

Wow, didn't realize. Got to be one of the lowest if not the lowest combined scores for those teams ever.

#9 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,421 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:56 AM

141) Parker -- had a decent year, a little up and down, but hey, he did beat Dean Heil.  I say R12.

He also handed Austin DeSanto (R12 last season) his first loss of the season as well. 

In my opinion, Parker was the best wrestler not to qualify for the NCAA's last year (and although I shouldn't have to say this, I mean out of those that competed in a qualifying tournament).  I can definitely see him contending for All American honors this season. 

"Gable said something in the newspapers to the effect that he had to show up on the podium and accept defeat like he accepted winning. Personally, I think that's the mark of a true sportsman. Such antics as having to be called repeatedly to the awards podium, hopping down prematurely, trashing one's medal at the venue, etc., don't show how much a guy hates to lose, etc. Taking a loss like a man, then coming back to compete harder (again like Gable did) does." Hurricanewrestling

#10 buf87

buf87

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:59 AM

Parker’s late move to 141, then the knee injury kept him from getting enough matches to qualify

#11 buf87

buf87

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:05 AM

We will be better.
Mackall will be much better at 125.
Gomez will be real solid at 133
Parker will be solid at 141. Leisure may try this weight also
Degen will be real solid at 149
Straw will be improved at 157. Struggled early & better at end of last year
Jennings/St John at 165
Coleman will be decent at 174
Bush at 184, rumors Colbray may try & come down
Colbray or Sauer at 197
Gremmel at 285 will be okay

#12 OhioSpladle

OhioSpladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:05 AM

I completely forgot about Ian Parker. He should definitely do well throughout the year. I am not a major cyclones fan, but it was sad to see the program where it was. Hoping Dresser can have it turned around!

#13 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:22 AM

Big question is whether they will show more match awareness and control. At times some of them looked lost the last few years.

• TobusRex likes this

#14 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:32 AM

Big question is whether they will show more match awareness and control. At times some of them looked lost the last few years.

OU drives me crazy for those reasons. Sloppy, uninspired wrestling. All the wrestlers seem like they'd rather be somewhere else. Guys not improving one iota from their Fr to their Sr years. Clark Glass, for example (he's been gone a couple years). Almost the same, identical record his FR and SR years. Davion Jeffries seems like he's WORSE than he was as a FR. The big HWT who just graduated, Larson, almost identical results his SR year to his FR year. Moody is pretty good, but he's never really improved since his FR year, at least not much.

OU's kids aren't getting better. Mejias, a JUCO national champ comes to OU and doesn't make R12, even.  OU's got some young talented guys coming in...will they manage to improve at OU?

I say if OU doesn't show signs of improvement they should hire a new coach.

• Peso likes this

#15 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:31 AM

OU drives me crazy for those reasons. Sloppy, uninspired wrestling. All the wrestlers seem like they'd rather be somewhere else. Guys not improving one iota from their Fr to their Sr years. Clark Glass, for example (he's been gone a couple years). Almost the same, identical record his FR and SR years. Davion Jeffries seems like he's WORSE than he was as a FR. The big HWT who just graduated, Larson, almost identical results his SR year to his FR year. Moody is pretty good, but he's never really improved since his FR year, at least not much.

OU's kids aren't getting better. Mejias, a JUCO national champ comes to OU and doesn't make R12, even.  OU's got some young talented guys coming in...will they manage to improve at OU?

I say if OU doesn't show signs of improvement they should hire a new coach.

90% of JUCO champs aren't R12 quality

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#16 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:13 AM

90% of JUCO champs aren't R12 quality

Really? That kind of surprises me. I know a JUCO champ that finished 4th at NCAAs in '85.

#17 KTG119

KTG119

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:29 AM

heck I can think of a guy who was 2nd in juco but then a 3 time finalist in D1, losing only 1 career match. 

#18 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:26 AM

heck I can think of a guy who was 2nd in juco but then a 3 time finalist in D1, losing only 1 career match.

doesnt make my statement false
  • cjc007 likes this

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#19 lu1979

lu1979

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

Who is TJ Wms.?

• KTG119 likes this

#20 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:57 PM

According to LemonPie the guy you're talking about is in the 10% of juco champs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users