Sign in to follow this  
BooHawk18

Final X - pick winners and confidence ranking

If you think you are making me feel bad with your knee jerk condescending tone, you are wrong. But nice try.

No not trying to make you feel bad T.

Enjoy this gorgeous day!

1) Taylor - Similar styles, but Taylor is several levels better

2) Green - There is no way you beat someone as dynamic as Green wrestling such a defensive style... Frank could have made this fairly interesting... oh well.

3) Synder - I actually give Gadson a puncher's chance of winning 1 match, but no way Synder loses twice

4) Burroughs - There is some point in the not-too-distant future where IMar will be able to beat Burroughs.  I don't think we are there yet, but I wouldn't say I'm completely certain of that.

5) Cox - Could probably swap 4 and 5, honestly.  I am higher on Zillmer than most, but I don't see how he scores enough to win this.

6) Steiber - Big drop off from 5 to 6, but I do like Steiber's chances here.  

7) Garrett - The progression here was Colon won by tech, then Garrett was up 6 but wrestled stupid and lost, so I think he'll figure out what he needs to do to win 2 out of 3 here...?

8) Dake - This should be sort of like Colon/Garrett 1 where the explosive wrestler goes against the best chest wrap he's ever seen and doesn't know how to respond, so he loses.  But if Dake loses one of the first two, he should be nervous...

9) Fix - Pretty much a toss up, so going with my gut

10) Coon - same.

You seem to confuse ranking him down the list as a prediction that he will lose. Is making assumptions a special gift of yours?

Is being a jerk a special gift of yours? My post clearly explains why there should be more comparative confidence in Dake than, say whoever is the pick to win at 61. This board is rightly excited about how Zahid has looked, and I just encouraged everyone to pump the brakes. The assumption that I didn't understand the premise of these lists was all yours, friend.

Is being a jerk a special gift of yours? My post clearly explains why there should be more comparative confidence in Dake than, say whoever is the pick to win at 61. This board is rightly excited about how Zahid has looked, and I just encouraged everyone to pump the brakes. The assumption that I didn't understand the premise of these lists was all yours, friend.

Completely agree that 61kg should be #10 on everyone's list.  I don't know if you can call the Zahid hype an overreaction though.  It's not just that he beat Ringer... it's more about how he beat him.  It wasn't close, and it was a Bo3.  I don't think anyone in the thread has even predicted a Zahid victory, it's just that his WTT performance was impressive enough to give people pause.  

It's entirely possible that Dake just repeatedly chest wraps Zahid off that low double though.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie

1. Snyder- Too good, too experienced

2. Burroughs- Wins when it counts.

3.Taylor- Seems the easiest but DT has come up short in the past'.

4. Dake- Seems to always find and answer except against JB. Cox doesn't count too much weight difference. 

5. Cox- Experience/youth

6. Green- Experience, but can choke on occasion,

7.Garrett- Can beat anyone if he wrestles smart.

8. Steiber- Slipping but capable.

9. Fix- Maybe if Gilman doesn't get in his head. 

10. Griz- Boring I'm sure.

1. Taylor - biggest mismatch of the ten weights.

2. Snyder - 'The Gadson' won't work again but he might keep it close for a period. 

3. Burroughs - I-Mart won't be able to slow him down.

4. Cox - He will probably look bored the entire time but he won't Zillmer won't get close to scoring.

5. Green - Home mat advantage + Chamberlain won't have any offense.

6. Dake - Valencia could be game in 2019 but I think 2018 is Dake's.

7. Steiber - Will know what it takes to get past his training partner.

8. Gilman - Hawkeye homer + I think T&T will know how to gameplan for Fix's ties. Gilman will probably walk him out with an elevated leg for 1 at least 3x times per match.

9. Colon - B*tchin' mustache is the advantage. If he shows up clean shaven then toss up.

10. Coon - if Coon is fresh and doesn't wrestle Greco trials I think he takes it otherwise a rested Gwiz beats a worn out Coon.

1. Taylor - biggest mismatch of the ten weights.

2. Snyder - 'The Gadson' won't work again but he might keep it close for a period. 

3. Burroughs - I-Mart won't be able to slow him down.

4. Cox - He will probably look bored the entire time but he won't Zillmer won't get close to scoring.

5. Green - Home mat advantage + Chamberlain won't have any offense.

6. Dake - Valencia could be game in 2019 but I think 2018 is Dake's.

7. Steiber - Will know what it takes to get past his training partner.

8. Gilman - Hawkeye homer + I think T&T will know how to gameplan for Fix's ties. Gilman will probably walk him out with an elevated leg for 1 at least 3x times per match.

9. Colon - B*tchin' mustache is the advantage. If he shows up clean shaven then toss up.

10. Coon - if Coon is fresh and doesn't wrestle Greco trials I think he takes it otherwise a rested Gwiz beats a worn out Coon.

Number 9 is the BEST reason given. I love it! Lol

Completely agree that 61kg should be #10 on everyone's list. I don't know if you can call the Zahid hype an overreaction though. It's not just that he beat Ringer... it's more about how he beat him. It wasn't close, and it was a Bo3. I don't think anyone in the thread has even predicted a Zahid victory, it's just that his WTT performance was impressive enough to give people pause.

It's entirely possible that Dake just repeatedly chest wraps Zahid off that low double though.

If he does chest lock Zahid then Zahid is wrestling dumb. If the shot isn't there stay long, scoot back, pressure down. You know, Greco stuff. Zahid is a pretty was by wrestler. Dake suckers people in thinking they have it, then locks in the chest. I don't think Z will fall for it. I have said it before, Dake needs to go defense and win a close tactical match without his whiny theatrics. I also think if Dake wins this time he has no spot going forward. The amazing thing is, in the US, we have this a bunch of great wrestlers, all solid medal contenders in an Olympic cycle, "problem", in every weight except 65. And some young, but injury issues, guns coming up.

2) Green - There is no way you beat someone as dynamic as Green wrestling such a defensive style... Frank could have made this fairly interesting... oh well.

3) Synder - I actually give Gadson a puncher's chance of winning 1 match, but no way Synder loses twice

4) Burroughs - There is some point in the not-too-distant future where IMar will be able to beat Burroughs.  I don't think we are there yet, but I wouldn't say I'm completely certain of that.

5) Cox - Could probably swap 4 and 5, honestly.  I am higher on Zillmer than most, but I don't see how he scores enough to win this.

7) Garrett - The progression here was Colon won by tech, then Garrett was up 6 but wrestled stupid and lost, so I think he'll figure out what he needs to do to win 2 out of 3 here...?

8) Dake - This should be sort of like Colon/Garrett 1 where the explosive wrestler goes against the best chest wrap he's ever seen and doesn't know how to respond, so he loses.  But if Dake loses one of the first two, he should be nervous...

10) Coon - same.

agree

agree

agree

​Yes when JB retires and hasn't wrestled for couple years, JB is not given enough credit on were he is in this Journey 

Cox for sure 

Yup probably right 

I got Colon in 2 

I think Valencia is amazing and not a big Dake fan due to his complaining to refs, but Dake is amazing wrestler and got him in 2 and without a doubt champion here

I think Fix got this 

10) Coon - same.

Griw all day in 2 

My first five are locks, the second set of five, I'm less confident about.

1. Snyder, is way too good, way too experienced, and has WAY WAY, too much gas tank. I look to see two matches like last year.

2. Taylor, I think he smells blood, and realizes what's before him, and will not be denied.

3. JB, although IMar will give it his best shot. JB is the King, and will remain so. I think we see him leave his shoes on the mat after his finals match in Tokyo.

4. Green, too much offense, however, I do admire how Chamberlain has improve his game.

5. Cox, is just better than Zillmer. Zillmer like IMar will do his best but I just don't see Zillmer jumping up another level here.

6. Stieber, should win, but if McKenna can control things, will might see the U23 Bronze medalist as our Sr. Team member.

7. Colon, I think both wrestlers clean things up a bit, but I still think Colon prevails.

8. Dake, like Taylor, realizes that this might be all she wrote if he dosen't get 'er done. I think we see a highly offensive Dake, like we saw at Beat the Streets.

9. Gwiz over the big man, just because he's better at changing levels. This might go three matches though.

10. I am all over the map on this, I do think it depends on how these matches unfold, if they are low scoring, I think that favors Gilman, but if they are high scoring, I think it favors Fix. But I do think this will go three matches.

If he does chest lock Zahid then Zahid is wrestling dumb. If the shot isn't there stay long, scoot back, pressure down. You know, Greco stuff. Zahid is a pretty was by wrestler. Dake suckers people in thinking they have it, then locks in the chest. I don't think Z will fall for it. I have said it before, Dake needs to go defense and win a close tactical match without his whiny theatrics. I also think if Dake wins this time he has no spot going forward. The amazing thing is, in the US, we have this a bunch of great wrestlers, all solid medal contenders in an Olympic cycle, "problem", in every weight except 65. And some young, but injury issues, guns coming up.

I don't know.  Dake has been 4'ing people from seemingly impossible positions off the chest wrap for like 9 months now.  Of course Zahid can try to belly out but if he comes up on the hips at all he might not get a chance.  

In order of most confident to least.

1. David Taylor

2. Cox

3. Burroughs

4. Snyder

5. James Green

6. Nahshon

7. Gwiz

8. Steiber

9. Dake

10. Fix

1 - 5 are easy.  6 - 10 are a mess.  I could see any of those matches going either way.  

1. Taylor  --  how the hell did Nick Reenan make Final X?  Should be a bigger story honestly.  

2. Burroughs

3. Snyder

4. Green

5. Cox

6. Gilman

7. Dake

8. Stieber

9. Gwiz

10. Colon

Here's how I see it with confidence levels 1-10:

1. Burroughs

2. Snyder

3. Taylor

4. Green

5. Cox

6. Garrett

7. Dake - but have a feeling Zahid is up to the task. Almost picked Zahid, but Dake's defense has always been insane.

8. Steiber - I think Steiber is nearly done, but he's got the experience to get by McKenna

9. Gwiz - counters Coon's strength/size with superior speed, footwork, and offense.

10. Fix - homer pick. But his weaknesses aren't as apparent in FS as in Folk. Gilman's experience may tip the scale in his favor.

1. Snyder

2. Taylor

3. JB

4. Cox

5. Green

6. Stieber

7. Gwiz

8. Dake

9. Garrett

10. Fix

*first five are very heavy favorites, next three I would be surprised but not shocked if they went the other way, last two seem like toss-ups

Looks like a four way tie for best picks, all with only one miss on the #10 guy. Three misses on Fix and one miss on Colon. Well played gentlemen.