Sign in to follow this  
TobusRex

Who is replacing Zain at PSU

Gotta figure PSU isn't gonna pull 20+ points from either of those guys at NCAAs like Zain did. PSU will be more vulnerable next year than they've been in a long, long time.

They will score less at 149 obviously, but will likely score more at 125, 133, 197 and 285 than in 2018.

Gotta figure PSU isn't gonna pull 20+ points from either of those guys at NCAAs like Zain did. PSU will be more vulnerable next year than they've been in a long, long time.

They will certainly lose a lot of points at 149 but they potentially gain a decent amount of points at 125 and 133.

They will score less at 149 obviously, but will likely score more at 125, 133, 197 and 285 than in 2018.

Good point. With Coon/Snyder gone Nevilles will probably be a finalist at NCAAs. Who do you see stepping up at 125 and 133? is Lee pulling down to 133? I could  see him squeaking through to the finals next year at 141.

How about 197....Cassar or Rashad?

Well no, not really.  OK, you are correct that they will not get 20 points from Berge.  But PSU loses a whole lot less than OSU does.  PSU lost Zian, while OSU lost Bo Jordan, Captain America and NaTo.  PSU may not score the same point total, but their gap to second place will be bigger.  This isn't PSU's "vulnerable" time.  2020 will be.  And I expect Iowa will be peaking for that opportunity.  

It will take injuries to derail PSU's title chances this year.  IMO.

They will get more out of 125 and 133 which have basically been non existent at NCAA’s the last two years. They will get more out of 141, even if he finishes 5th again it will much less likely he after a first round loss, so more championship bracket advancement points. They will most likely get more out of 197 and 285. They will likely get more than last year at 157 in terms of bonus. So even if they get zero out of 149, they will get more than that in the plus column out of the others. If they get five points out of 149, I mean....

They’re only challenger loses an all time great champ, A consistent third, BoJo....I really don’t see where PSU is more vulnerable this year than they were the last two when they were beaten out of the conference title, but then come big dance time...

Probably not but I’d contend PSU will score more than the .5 points they got between 125/133, Nick Lee will score more than the 11.5 he got last year at 141, Nolf will score more than the 23 he did last year at 157, whoever starts at 197 will score more than the 9.5 points that Rasheed scored last year, and Nevills will score more than the 8.5 he did last year. And frankly I think If Berge is at 149 he’s a pretty solid AA so it isn’t like PSU is going from 25 with Zain to 0 this coming year at 149.

Imo PSU is much less vulnerable this coming year than last year because there is no challenger like Ohio State last year.

Edited by Divided42

PSU does have a solid record for production from freshman, but I am not sold that Teasedale and RBY are going to score many points at NCAA's.

125: Lee, Suriano(may be at 133), Fix/Picc, Rivera, Russell, Bresser, Hayes, Lamont, Fausz, Hayes, Moisey and Mattin make 125 pretty solid and with Teasedale still taking High School level losses(albeit not many) I am not sold he wins more than a match or 2.

133: Gross, Suriano(maybe), Micic, Lizak, Pletcher, Mueller, Parker, Fix/Picc,  Desanto and Vito make for an extremely deep 133.  RBY has looked solid taking his only losses at U23 to Vito, but man this weight is deep.  Again, I am not sold he wins more than a match or 2.

141:  Lee should at the very least maintain last year's output.

149:  Berge is solid, and 149 is much thinner than the 1st 2 weights.  I could see him slotting in around 6-8.

157:  Nolf will be Nolf.

165:  Joseph gets it done in March, but isn't a sure thing and doesn't score big bonus.

174:  Hall will be very tough to beat if Valencia goes up.

184:  If Nickal goes up, I assume this is Rasheed's weight.  I am not sure where to slot him.  Valencia, Martin, Parker, Venz, Zavatsky, Priesch, Reenan, Foster, Ness, Smith, Geer and Gravina make for a stout roadblock to AA status.

197:  I would assume Nickal wins 197, but we don't know for sure if his leverage reliant skillset works as well up that heavy.

285:  Nevills should improve by 3-4 slots.

I think they drop about 10 pts or so as a team, but 130ish should still be enough to win.

Rumor is that Cassar is going up to HWT to challenge Nevills

Prediction if that comes to pass: Cassar will be thumped, badly, by a much bigger/stronger athlete!

I'm surprised people are speculating that Bo might go to 197. Will Cael let him do that? There's already talented guys riding the bench and that might snarl stuff up even worse. Frankly, I'm surprised Cassar hasn't transferred already.

Edited by TobusRex

I believe Berge has the inside track.  But, Verkleeren could very well be the Rasheed to Berge's Cassar.

Berge has been impressive and looks to be on a pretty decent trajectory.  Not to disparage Verkleeren, but I wouldn't be surprised if he never makes the lineup.  

Agree that PSU is likely to score more points this season than last.

Everything listed pretty much assumes that NOONE regresses or gets injured.  That is an extremely friendly assumption.

125:net gain of 2-4.  More than that would be a big surprise.

133:net gain of 2-4.  I think RBY is more college ready than Teasedale, but 133 is super top heavy.

141: Lee scored 11.5 last year for 5th.  That is with 2 majors and 2.5 advancement points(which by the way is only .5 less than if he made the semis). Yianni, McKenna,Eierman and Brock are here so it is far from a sure thing that he moves up from 5th. So, I would say even is a very fair projection.

149: net loss of 21-14.  We just don't have any solid data to go off of.  He only wrestled at the Princeton Open and lost to Mike D'Angelo.  Berge did win the 70kg Junior World Team Trials.

157: net gain of 2-4.  If fully healthy, Nolf should get back up to that 27 range from the year before.

165: even  He is 2 for 2, but he just seems to be the most vulnerable of PSU's big 5.  Also, he isn't a true bonus guy.  Still, I can't pick against him because he is 2for2.

174:  net gain of 2-5.  Amine or Lewis could sneak one from him if he is a bit off, but that is unlikely.

184:  net loss of 16-12  Rasheed may actually be better at 184, but 184 is at least an equally better field than 197.

197:  net gain of 10-15  You still have to pick him to win it, but I am interested to see how he would deal with a physical monster like Conel or Moore if he can better manage his weight.

285:  net gain of 5-8  I think you see him somewhere between 3rd-5th.

So, my max gains are 40 and my minimum losses are 26.  So, I would say their very high end ceiling is another 14 pts.

SO, my min gains is 23 and my max losses are 37.  So, I would say a still very friendly overall projection drops them 14 pts from last year.

Prediction if that comes to pass: Cassar will be thumped, badly, by a much bigger/stronger athlete!

I'm surprised people are speculating that Bo might go to 197. Will Cael let him do that? There's already talented guys riding the bench and that might snarl stuff up even worse. Frankly, I'm surprised Cassar hasn't transferred already.

Nevills isn't doing much thumping these days.   I highly doubt Cassar would be much smaller than Michael Boykin.

Nick is an average athlete (for D1 standards) and my guess is that he would struggle with Anthony

Edited by LemonPie

As others have stated, Berge has the inside track at 149. He's a good shot at AA and maybe mid AA, say 5th or around there. RBY beating Fausz and Cornell kid suggests he too can AA, even if low AA. 

If trends continue they will probably be good for some early round bonus scoring too. 

I think they drop about 10 pts or so as a team, but 130ish should still be enough to win.

If they're in the low 130's at least they're catchable.  I think they'll be in the 140's again though, barring injury.  I can't see either Iowa or Ohio State getting there, even with strong outperformance.  

RBY beating Fausz and Cornell kid suggests he too can AA, even if low AA. 

Tucker beat Fausz 9-2 for 3rd yesterday, and Tucker went 1-2 at NCAAs this past year.

Tucker beat Fausz 9-2 for 3rd yesterday, and Tucker went 1-2 at NCAAs this past year.

Almost everyone is back at 133 next year and I still think RBY can make top 8 by March, but we'll see. 

As others have stated, Berge has the inside track at 149. He's a good shot at AA and maybe mid AA, say 5th or around there. RBY beating Fausz and Cornell kid suggests he too can AA, even if low AA.

If trends continue they will probably be good for some early round bonus scoring too.

How does beating two guys that have never been an All-American suggest that he too can AA?

Almost everyone is back at 133 next year and I still think RBY can make top 8 by March, but we'll see. 

133 looks to be crazy deep and could have some literal monsters in Gross, Fix, Suriano, Micic, Wilson and Vito.  That doesn't even account for AA's in Pletcher and Parker.  If RBY AA's he will have navigated one of the best fields a TF has done in some time!

133 looks to be crazy deep and could have some literal monsters in Gross, Fix, Suriano, Micic, Wilson and Vito. That doesn't even account for AA's in Pletcher and Parker. If RBY AA's he will have navigated one of the best fields a TF has done in some time!

And ....... AA's Lizak, Mueller & Bridges as well as R12's Erneste & Desanto.

Edited by Show_Me

How does beating two guys that have never been an All-American suggest that he too can AA?

It is the quickness and athleticism he displayed at U23's. Got to the 4 minute mark of this video and watch what he does in the following 20 seconds, and this isn't the only move that makes me think he is a great athlete. There are lots more. I don't really care about the bracket next year, I care that he will be in the PSU room always improving. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6210391-61-kg-round-of-32-roman-bravo-young-sunnyside-wrestling-club-vs-mikel-perales-menlo

Edited by TBar1977