• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,866 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:20 AM

Tucker beat Fausz 9-2 for 3rd yesterday, and Tucker went 1-2 at NCAAs this past year.

Almost everyone is back at 133 next year and I still think RBY can make top 8 by March, but we'll see. 

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#22 Mpchillin

Mpchillin

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:38 AM

As others have stated, Berge has the inside track at 149. He's a good shot at AA and maybe mid AA, say 5th or around there. RBY beating Fausz and Cornell kid suggests he too can AA, even if low AA.

If trends continue they will probably be good for some early round bonus scoring too.

How does beating two guys that have never been an All-American suggest that he too can AA?
  • Fletcher likes this

#23 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:41 AM

Almost everyone is back at 133 next year and I still think RBY can make top 8 by March, but we'll see. 

133 looks to be crazy deep and could have some literal monsters in Gross, Fix, Suriano, Micic, Wilson and Vito.  That doesn't even account for AA's in Pletcher and Parker.  If RBY AA's he will have navigated one of the best fields a TF has done in some time!

#24 Show_Me

Show_Me

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:04 AM

133 looks to be crazy deep and could have some literal monsters in Gross, Fix, Suriano, Micic, Wilson and Vito. That doesn't even account for AA's in Pletcher and Parker. If RBY AA's he will have navigated one of the best fields a TF has done in some time!

And ....... AA's Lizak, Mueller & Bridges as well as R12's Erneste & Desanto.

Edited by Show_Me, 04 June 2018 - 09:15 AM.

#25 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,866 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:08 AM

How does beating two guys that have never been an All-American suggest that he too can AA?

It is the quickness and athleticism he displayed at U23's. Got to the 4 minute mark of this video and watch what he does in the following 20 seconds, and this isn't the only move that makes me think he is a great athlete. There are lots more. I don't really care about the bracket next year, I care that he will be in the PSU room always improving. 

https://www.flowrest...l-perales-menlo

Edited by TBar1977, 04 June 2018 - 09:25 AM.

• PSUNatChamps likes this

#26 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:40 AM

Another PSU lineup rumor per their forums - Verk moving down to 141 and Lee would redshirt.  Kind of makes sense given that we saw Verk at 143 for Juniors. 

#27 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,228 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:42 AM

Silly to piss away Lee's points.  Especially with bonus potential.  I don't believe it.

Edited by LemonPie, 04 June 2018 - 09:43 AM.

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#28 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:54 AM

Yeah, I don't think we've seen enough quality folkstyle wins out of Verk to justify redshirting Lee. 

#29 Show_Me

Show_Me

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:01 AM

RBY is extremely talented and will only improve in PSU's room.

I will not be the least bit surprised if he AA's. However, he is making his D1 debut in arguably THE toughest weight class.

#30 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,866 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:17 AM

Hypothetical.

If Cael thinks he can win without Lee's points he might just redshirt him. If Ohio State punts and he thinks he can beat Iowa and Ok State, then why not? Get an extra year for Lee on the back end.

#31 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:18 AM

Yeah, I don't think we've seen enough quality folkstyle wins out of Verk to justify redshirting Lee. 

Yet after thinking about it a bit why the heck would Verk be weighing in 6 pounds UNDER 149 if he was planning to go that during the season.  That seems like a really bad strategy....

Maybe Lee will do a "wait and see" redshirt like last year - just do opens and unattached at the beginning to see how Verk pans out. 

#32 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:42 AM

If they're in the low 130's at least they're catchable. I think they'll be in the 140's again though, barring injury. I can't see either Iowa or Ohio State getting there, even with strong outperformance.

I don't see how tOSU is even in this conversation. PSU loses Retherford, tOSU loses the greatest US wrestler since John Smith and two very good guys in NATO and BOJO.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#33 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:43 AM

Tucker beat Fausz 9-2 for 3rd yesterday, and Tucker went 1-2 at NCAAs this past year.

Are we talking in Free? Move along.

#34 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:44 AM

Almost everyone is back plus possibly Fix and Suriano (who will be in the hunt).

#35 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:45 AM

Silly to piss away Lee's points. Especially with bonus potential. I don't believe it.

Agreed. Unless PSU is throwing in the towel like they did in the Mega and Retherford RS year, there is no way Lee redshirts.

#36 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:46 AM

Hypothetical.

If Cael thinks he can win without Lee's points he might just redshirt him. If Ohio State punts and he thinks he can beat Iowa and Ok State, then why not? Get an extra year for Lee on the back end.

tOSU is not a title contender in 2019.

#37 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,866 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:34 AM

tOSU is not a title contender in 2019.

I think Ohio State can outscore Iowa or Oklahoma State. No guarantee of that, of course, but I am not ruling them out. I don't see how they catch Penn State, though, which can lead to the whole punt theory. 

PSU is not punting though. They will win it again, imo. What they can do is if other teams hold guys back, they could do the same to stretch out eligibility. 

#38 Show_Me

Show_Me

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:54 AM

I think Ohio State can outscore Iowa or Oklahoma State. No guarantee of that, of course, but I am not ruling them out. I don't see how they catch Penn State, though, which can lead to the whole punt theory.

PSU is not punting though. They will win it again, imo. What they can do is if other teams hold guys back, they could do the same to stretch out eligibility.

A way too early prediction :
1. PSU
2. Ohio St.
3. Iowa
4. Oklahoma St. / Michigan / NC St. / Missouri / Cornell

4th thru 8th could be very competitive IMO.

#39 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:30 PM

As much as I detest arrogant PSU fan, the smart money is always on Cael.  There is almost always a wrestler ready to step in and win and usually at a very high level by season's end.  They will have ten AA candidates in their lineup next season and Hall, Joseph and Nickal are near unstoppable (will help if they avoid Valencia).  They will win the team title comfortably because they will have the best prepared wrestlers by season's end.  Iowa might elbow their way in for second and feel good about it.  

Edited by silver-medal, 04 June 2018 - 02:18 PM.

• herma48852 likes this

#40 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:08 AM

As much as I detest arrogant PSU fan, the smart money is always on Cael. There is almost always a wrestler ready to step in and win and usually at a very high level by season's end. They will have ten AA candidates in their lineup next season and Hall, Joseph and Nickal are near unstoppable (will help if they avoid Valencia). They will win the team title comfortably because they will have the best prepared wrestlers by season's end. Iowa might elbow their way in for second and feel good about it.

Crazy thing is, you left out the most dominant guy of them all!!!!
  • silver-medal likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users