Sign in to follow this  
Glane18

2019 NCAA individual champion predictions

EDIT:  I read some posts and forgot that Gross did not graduate.  Thank you!  I assumed the ACL might not be fully healed by next year for Yianni, but Spencer Lee did just fine with a surgery around the same time period. I got Yianni.  

I don't really know who is going to fill in where at a few weight classes so I'm looking for a little help here.  I got:

125 - Lee

133 - Gross (even if Fix or Suriano are here)

141 - Yianni

149 - ? - no clue

157 - Nolf

165 - Joseph

174 - Zahid

184 - Bo

197 - Moore

285 - Gable 

Edited by Glane18

Seth Gross is back at 133, defending champ.

149? Who the hell knows...tough weight to pick at this point

I’ll take Yianni at 141 over McKenna all day every day

And if Zahid and Bo move up as rumored, you can pencil in Hall at 174, Zahid at 184 and Bo at 197

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by pish6969

I am really interested to see if Myles Amine can continue his rate of improvement.  He wrestled Zahid and Hall as well as anyone last year, passed up BoJo and took out Lewis.

Hall is still the favorite, but Amine has the pedigree and his improvement each year goes all the way back to freshman year of High School.

Lee

Suriano

Yianni

Jordan (finally a Jordan!)

Nolf

Joseph

Valencia

Nickal

Moore

Steveson

Really boring picks. My guess is Zahid will be close enough at Final-X (if not win outright) to have incentive to keep his weight down for another year. Maybe Anthony goes 184.

Still not buying Nickal 197

Edited by LemonPie

Preseason picks(level of confidence):

157: Nolf-With Kemerer going up, expect bonus in every match.

133: Gross-Assuming Fix is 125, he likely has another undefeated season.

125: Lee-Even with Fix here, his folkstyle skillset is top tier.

141: Yianni-McKenna is the only one here I see that challenge him.  Eierman is a bit too wild.

From here down I am not sure due to speculated weight movements:

197: Nickal-I need to see him go 197 before I feel comfortable.  He may very well prove to be top 2 or 3 on this list as the season progresses.

184: Valencia-Assuming Nickal moves up, but Martin is by no means a pushover.

174: Hall-As I said, this depends on Valencia up to 184 and I still think Amine could push him to the edge.

165: Joseph-He is the most vulnerable of the PSU top dogs IF he opens up.  When he wrestles a composed, defensive style, he is probably the most difficult to take down in DI.

149: Ashnault-He has been #1 on WrestleStat for nearly 2 years having barely wrestled a match.  Gotta pick him!

285: Gable-Picking a TF at 285?  Ugh, I just don't feel comfortable doing so.  As is said over and over again, mat wrestling takes the longest to adjust to at the DI level.  This is even moreso when you have 240+ guys on top of you.

Nice analysis.

I would be surprised if Zahid and/or Nickal move up.

If so, Amine will likely be battling McFadden & Lewis & Kutler & Kemmerer for 3rd at 174 as Zahid & Hall are a level above IMO.

My homerism tempted me to pick Eierman at 141 but Yianni or McKenna will be tough to get by in Semi's.

149 is probably the most wide open weight with Retherford, Sorensen, Heilmann & others gone. If Jordan is there, I would view him & Leeth & Kolodzik as toss-ups. Not saying Ashnault couldn't also be in the mix, but am uncertain what he looks like after injury & a season off.

125: Lee

133: Fix or Suriano. Gross will not repeat.

141: Yianni

149: ????

157: Nolf

165: Joseph

174: Hall

184: Valencia

197: Nickal all day every day. Think Quentin Wright.

285: Like 149, different result everytime.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

133: Fix or Suriano. Gross will not repeat.

I don't understand the doubts of Gross. Maybe he was more vulnerable last year than I recall - Wilson certainly challenged him, but I think his positioning was generally superior. Also, he spent the season ranked number one, presumably the most scouted wrestler. 

I have no loyalty or other strong feelings about this. I just don't know why Gross is being dismissed. 

So here's something to chew on, let's say McKenna goes on to win Final X against Logiebear, and then come October wins or places at the World's. Do we then say he's the favorite over Yanni ?

149- Anthony Ashnault

Word on the street is Yianni will be at 149. Vito-133, Koll-141, and Yianni at 149. Yianni has the frame to fill out and put on some size. If he does move up does he follow Dake's footsteps and go up a class each year. Tall order, for sure.

Word on the street is Yianni will be at 149. Vito-133, Koll-141, and Yianni at 149. Yianni has the frame to fill out and put on some size. If he does move up does he follow Dake's footsteps and go up a class each year. Tall order, for sure.

Having no triceps, is it really wise for Yianni to take that leap?  ;)

Having no triceps, is it really wise for Yianni to take that leap? ;)

Yianni was spotted on campus walking around with one tricep; this should get him up to 149. Depending on results at that weight, he may add a second for the year after next.

For Cornell fans these tricep jokes are a call to arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand the doubts of Gross. Maybe he was more vulnerable last year than I recall - Wilson certainly challenged him, but I think his positioning was generally superior. Also, he spent the season ranked number one, presumably the most scouted wrestler. 

I have no loyalty or other strong feelings about this. I just don't know why Gross is being dismissed. 

The problem with Gross next season is that he lost Bono.  If Bono was still the coach he would have a 90+% chance to repeat.  

My picks are:

125 Lee over Fix

133 Wilson over Gross

141 Yianni D over McKenna

149 MiJo over Ashnault

157 Nolf over Hidlay

165 Massa over Wick

174 Hall over Kutler

184 MyMar over Zahid V

197 BoN over Moore

Hvwt GableS over Dhesi

PSU beats Ohio St again for title

Edited by lu1979

Gable steveson is going to do a flying squirrel for the win over Dhesi to become a true freshman champ, and then proceed to be forever etched as the new subject of Chuck Norris style memes.

I am calling an Eierman move to 149. He looked very big compared to both Logie and McKenna, and it sets him up nicely, weight wise, for a pick between 65kg and 70kg in freestyle season.

Not going to happen with AA Leeth sitting at 149. Remember, Eierman was wrestling 133 just over a year ago.

Not going to happen with AA Leeth sitting at 149. Remember, Eierman was wrestling 133 just over a year ago.

Have to believe Eierman dictates. Coaches tried to force him down once before and he put clown shoes on them. He certainly looks like he could be 149 and it's certainly his best shot at a title. Hart or a bulked up Erneste would be capable at 141. Leeth a strong qualifier at 157.

Edited by LemonPie