• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:33 PM

I'm curious as to why most people are giving Eierman no chance vs Yianni.  He wrestled him twice last year, beating him once and losing in OT.  It's also obvious from his freestyle results that Eierman has been steadily improving.  I don't know if I'd pick him as the favorite, but he's a definite threat to win it at 141.

I also don't see why Ashnault is getting the props.  He's a career 141 pounder who hasn't wrestled in a year and is bumping up a weight class.  Maybe it's the Wrestlestat effect.

I think because Yianni was a higher level recruit, plus I think Eierman is a year older too (not sure of that part, though). Anyway the point is that kids improve more early in their college careers than their later careers. So, if Yianni is already beating Eierman as a FR , and he's still to show more improvement than Eierman probably will. Generally, mind you. Some guys never hit their sweet zone until their Sr years. But usually guys improve more their FR year than the 3 next years combined.

Pretty  poorly written, hope you guys get my point.

Edited by TobusRex, 09 June 2018 - 03:33 PM.

#62 Show_Me

Show_Me

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:33 PM

I'm shocked to see guys picking Micah Jordan as NCAA champ next year.

Who are you predicting ?

I am not shocked. Micah is proven and will be down a weight.

Jordan, Kolodzik, Leeth, & Ashnault should be considered co-favorites at this weight in my opinion.

#63 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:42 PM

Who are you predicting ?

I am not shocked. Micah is proven and will be down a weight.

Jordan, Kolodzik, Leeth, & Ashnault should be considered co-favorites at this weight in my opinion.

Well the pick I was referring to had Micah winning 149. Problem is he wrestles 157 and he doesn't have much fat on him. First of all CAN he pull 8 pounds, secondly if he does pull the weight how will it affect his strength/endurance? I've never seen weight pulls enhance either of those things (except for morbidly obese folks, maybe).

Ashnault will disappoint. He'll be rusty as hell, have to wonder if he's going to shake off the rust in time for NCAAs. I'm going Leeth. Kolodzik is pretty good, but I think Mizzou's room pushes Leeth over the top next year. On the other hand I'd RATHER see Kolodzik win because the IVY league needs all the help it can get.

#64 lu1979

lu1979

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:09 AM

Well the pick I was referring to had Micah winning 149. Problem is he wrestles 157 and he doesn't have much fat on him. First of all CAN he pull 8 pounds, secondly if he does pull the weight how will it affect his strength/endurance? I've never seen weight pulls enhance either of those things (except for morbidly obese folks, maybe).

Ashnault will disappoint. He'll be rusty as hell, have to wonder if he's going to shake off the rust in time for NCAAs. I'm going Leeth. Kolodzik is pretty good, but I think Mizzou's room pushes Leeth over the top next year. On the other hand I'd RATHER see Kolodzik win because the IVY league needs all the help it can get.

The general belief is that Micah was wrestling up last year to help the team and that 149 will be a better weight for him.  I don't think he looked particularly big at 157 last year. If he wants to win NCAAs and he can make the cut to 149 then that's what he should do.  He has very little chance of winning at 157. 

#65 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,866 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:15 AM

Micah can't win at either weight until he learns how to get off bottom against a good top man.
  • ConnorsDad and treep2000 like this

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#66 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:26 AM

I'm curious as to why most people are giving Eierman no chance vs Yianni. He wrestled him twice last year, beating him once and losing in OT. It's also obvious from his freestyle results that Eierman has been steadily improving. I don't know if I'd pick him as the favorite, but he's a definite threat to win it at 141.
I also don't see why Ashnault is getting the props. He's a career 141 pounder who hasn't wrestled in a year and is bumping up a weight class. Maybe it's the Wrestlestat effect.

Eierman has a chance, but he is the underdog

Eierman’s win over Yianni, while impressive, came right st the end of the match Yianni was controlling well. I think Yianni was up 2 takedown to 0. Eierman won fair and square but I’m picking Yianni against Eierman until he loses.

I think Eierman makes a world team. He is damn good. I just have Yianni on a super elite tier
  • KCMO2 likes this

#67 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:28 AM

Micah can't win at either weight until he learns how to get off bottom against a good top man.

Maybe. Micah can go with anyone who doesn’t have stop game. Who at 149 will be able to do what Nolf or Zain do? Yianni would beat him but I would pick Micah over Oliver, Kolodzik, and Leerh, just to name a few title contenders next year

Micah is unlikely to win because of. his glaring hole, but at 149 there isn’t a dominant top guy who is good enough on the feet to go with Micah

#68 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,220 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:12 AM

While I don’t think Micah will win the 149 title, keep in mind this is the kid who cut to 141 as a RS FR after competing at 149-157 during his RS year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#69 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,866 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:04 AM

Maybe. Micah can go with anyone who doesn’t have stop game. Who at 149 will be able to do what Nolf or Zain do? Yianni would beat him but I would pick Micah over Oliver, Kolodzik, and Leerh, just to name a few title contenders next year

Micah is unlikely to win because of. his glaring hole, but at 149 there isn’t a dominant top guy who is good enough on the feet to go with Micah

Micah isn't just poor on bottom, he is really poor. I can't recall seeing a guy as good on his feet or in scrambles as Micah who was that weak on bottom. At 157 several guys could ride him. A number of 149's graduate but I am sure there will be someone. 

#70 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:39 PM

Micah isn't just poor on bottom, he is really poor. I can't recall seeing a guy as good on his feet or in scrambles as Micah who was that weak on bottom. At 157 several guys could ride him. A number of 149's graduate but I am sure there will be someone.

We basically said the same thing

There isn’t someone who is clearly better at 149 but there is possibly someone because Micah is so bad in bottom

This is Micah’s shot at a title

#71 Fletcher

Fletcher

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:48 AM

It’s not outrageous to pick against him. It’s outrageous to not give him the respect to even reach the finals which by the way he won in his first two tries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah. The difference between 2nd and 3rd is often due to somewhat arbitrary seeding decisions. If someone said Joseph finishes outside the top 3, that would be disrespectful.

• BigTenFanboy and Erminio8 like this

#72 Fletcher

Fletcher

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:51 AM

Insert name of any (non-Myles) tOSU wrestler from last year.

#73 knightflyer150

knightflyer150

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:42 AM

In a post-NCAA interview, Bo Jordan said that Micah weighed in third day of NCAA at like 154.  149 is no problem, although I'd rather see 149-Hayes and 157- Micah.

#74 KTG119

KTG119

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:16 AM

who was the last Jordan to peak as a senior?

Edited by KTG119, 11 June 2018 - 07:17 AM.

#75 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,866 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:22 AM

In a post-NCAA interview, Bo Jordan said that Micah weighed in third day of NCAA at like 154.  149 is no problem, although I'd rather see 149-Hayes and 157- Micah.

Yeah, Micah at 149 may be marginally better for Micah but any gains he sees from that weight change are lost for Hayes imo. Net-net tOSU gains nothing score wise. They'd do it perhaps because of the last name and the tacit connection to St. Paris Graham. 

#76 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:39 AM

Ben.  

#77 lu1979

lu1979

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:41 AM

Yeah, Micah at 149 may be marginally better for Micah but any gains he sees from that weight change are lost for Hayes imo. Net-net tOSU gains nothing score wise. They'd do it perhaps because of the last name and the tacit connection to St. Paris Graham. 

I have no inside info but I would guess that Micah is getting the better of Hayes in the room and that the choice will be his if he wants to go down to 149.  If Hayes wants to challenge him for the spot he should have that chance.  But he may be better off packing on muscle and getting ready for 157. In any case Ohio St will be a better tournament team with Micah at 149.  I think he has a real shot to win what appears to be a wide open weight.  Top contenders now are Micah, Kolodzik, Leeth, and Ashanault.  I think Lugo could also break into that top group.  Best newbies will probably be Berge and O'Connor (maybe Denmas too?)   I wouldn't be surprised to see either Berge or O'Connor finish very high next year..  

#78 Roadkill

Roadkill

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:10 AM

Not sure Ashnault will have rust....He is competing currently, so I would think the rust will be off prior to the season(if it is not off already).  In Akron, he lost a 8-7 match to Dardenes, then won two matches then lost to Logie.  Think he will be much stronger up at 149, guess we will find out...

• TobusRex likes this

#79 KCMO2

KCMO2

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:30 AM

Jordan Burroughs

• TobusRex and Housebuye like this

#80 Show_Me

Show_Me

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:40 AM

Ben.

IIRC, Ben AA as a Junior and chose to not wrestle his Senior season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users