29 replies to this topic

#1 BobDole

BobDole

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:23 AM

https://www.flowrest...uttle-wrestling

Here is a great display of reffing by the guys in stripes. Give these fellas a promotion.

#2 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:30 AM

https://www.flowrest...uttle-wrestling

Here is a great display of reffing by the guys in stripes. Give these fellas a promotion.

I think the one guy to the left in the stands had a stripe on his sleeves.

#3 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:41 AM

Have watched this and applaud Davenport and his coaches for not losing their sh!t right there on the spot.  Typical inept ref situation--instead of conferring to get the call right, they circle the wagons and insist they saw something that obviously never happened and back each other's erroneous call.  Fortunately, the right call was eventually made.

• cjc007 likes this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#4 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:27 AM

I guess I'm lost on this one.  Why did the match end?  There was time left in the 1st period.   Score was 6-4.  Also, what was the call - a 4 point throw or 2 exposure 2 takedown or control?  I can see the latter, but not the former. 

mspart

#5 BobDole

BobDole

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:41 AM

I guess I'm lost on this one.  Why did the match end?  There was time left in the 1st period.   Score was 6-4.  Also, what was the call - a 4 point throw or 2 exposure 2 takedown or control?  I can see the latter, but not the former. 

mspart

Blue got the fall according to the officials.

#6 GranbyTroll

GranbyTroll

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:43 AM

Oh my goodness, I'm very confused how red could lose that match. Both of blue's shoulder blades were definitely in contact with the mat for at least 1 second, so he was pinned. However, the ref didn't ask for a fall, so the judge and the chairman shouldn't have ended the match regardless. As far as I know, only the ref can ask for a fall to be confirmed. If red had  won, that  only would be very poor officiating. 

But that they actually raised blue's hand when red was nowhere near his back is atrocious. 

Edited by GranbyTroll, 06 June 2018 - 04:49 AM.

Iowa fans are still arrogant; it's just that their team isn't as good.

#7 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:44 AM

Blue was the one pinned.  Well, he was the only one on his back.  Horrible call if that is what it was.    Someone said it was later corrected.  How did that happen?

mspart

#8 gromit

gromit

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:01 AM

the only possible explanation here is temporary color blindness...sheesh, unbelievable!

• Yellow_Medal likes this

anarchy in the UK

twitter @GromitK9

#9 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:03 AM

How can the blue coaches accept they won by fall? I get they are arguing they should have got the point but to accept a win in that way without trying to help correct things is not cool in my book. Maybe the refs don’t accept the correction but at least put some effort into getting it fixed.

Edited by MadMardigain, 06 June 2018 - 05:07 AM.

#10 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:05 AM

Blue was initially given the match by fall.  As you can hear the refs saying, they both "saw" red pinned even when his shoulders never touched the mat.  Inexplicable and indefensible call.  If anyone was pinned, it was blue when red stacked him up.

The call was later reversed.  The red coach had to argue that the wrong man's hand was raised--that the pin was called for red (even though this was not the case, but it allowed the refs to save face and the right man to advance).

The blue coach did not try to argue that red was actually pinned--he wanted the match to be rewrestled.  Luckily, sanity prevailed.

Edited by Coach_J, 06 June 2018 - 05:07 AM.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#11 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:01 AM

And I know the judge but I would argue with some of you on one thing. I believe blue would have scored the 4. Red was exposed (not touching the mat but he was inverted).

However, blue pinned himself in doing so. I'm a little unclear on this but I suspect it could have been scored 4 blue, 2 red, fall for red.

#12 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:41 AM

And I know the judge but I would argue with some of you on one thing. I believe blue would have scored the 4. Red was exposed (not touching the mat but he was inverted).

However, blue pinned himself in doing so. I'm a little unclear on this but I suspect it could have been scored 4 blue, 2 red, fall for red.

It might have been scored that way but wasn't.  The refs all called a pin for blue, not against blue.  No way to excuse that call.  Lucky it was on video and someone was willing to look at.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#13 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:44 AM

It might have been scored that way but wasn't.  The refs all called a pin for blue, not against blue.  No way to excuse that call.  Lucky it was on video and someone was willing to look at.

I know that. What I said was that some people were saying it wasn't 4 for blue. I think it may well have been 4 for blue. But I believe it would then also be 2 for red immediately prior to the fall in favor of red.

Also, the second "fence" throw by red was ruled a step out for blue. I agree with that but think the same could have been called on the first one that was scored 4 for red. I believe he stepped out first while lifting but before throwing.

• Coach_J likes this

#14 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:46 AM

The kid handled it really well, so did his coach I think. I would have freaked out.

#15 tbert

tbert

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:12 AM

4 blue for feet to back.
Red held him on his back for fall.

Anything else is wrong.

The rules used to be that the offensive guy had to come to a bridge on turn, if he rolled on his shoulders he was penalized one pt.
  • Coach_J and Yellow_Medal like this
MAGA!

#16 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:18 AM

White privilege?  Only explanation I got for how botched the original call was.  

#17 tbert

tbert

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:23 PM

I can't blow it up on my phone but the judge on other side may have raised 4 fingers blue,not a fall while hand and mat chair may have misunderstood for a fall. I think the mat chair was a overwhelming presence and others cowered.

Another reason they should use paddles.

No excuse for calling wrong winner.

Edited by tbert, 06 June 2018 - 01:24 PM.

• Coach_J likes this
MAGA!

#18 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:01 PM

I can't blow it up on my phone but the judge on other side may have raised 4 fingers blue,not a fall while hand and mat chair may have misunderstood for a fall. I think the mat chair was a overwhelming presence and others cowered.

Another reason they should use paddles.

No excuse for calling wrong winner.

It looked to me like he was calling a fall and I could hear him saying fall was confirmed during the meeting.

It is possible he did 4 in addition to the fall. 

Edited by gimpeltf, 06 June 2018 - 03:13 PM.

#19 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:04 PM

White privilege?  Only explanation I got for how botched the original call was.  

Blue privilege?

#20 Yellow_Medal

Yellow_Medal

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:06 PM

Wow. That was just plain weird. Everything about it. Especially the way the judges handled the discussion with Davenport's coach. Now it is possible that this is a case of 3 (senile?) old refs misinterpreting the sequence. Who knows, maybe they all forgot their glasses at the hotel...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users