Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:09 PM

most refs are weirdos. I'm serious. 

#22 SetonHallPirate

SetonHallPirate

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:45 PM

That may be the worst call I've ever seen, and I definitely saw the Beitz-Dardanes match in Minneapolis several years ago (in fact, I was matside for that one). Even more frustrating was the guy (I believe the same official who gave a wrestler four for an eyepoke last year, causing Bryan Snyder to go absolutely ballistic) talking to Anthony Biondo like he (Biondo) was a six-year-old with an IQ roughly equivalent to that ref's shoe size.

Building a better Pirate...construction in process.

Editor-in-Chief, WrestlingByPirate

Website/Blog: http://wrestlingbypirate.wordpress.com

Twitter: @wrestlingbypir8

Building a smarter wrestling fan

#23 TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:10 AM

We're gonna see more stuff like this with such a big shortage of refs. Wrestling refs are overworked, too old but nobody to replace them, pulled up to high level stuff when they are not ready, etc etc because we simply do not have enough of them. I agree this call was clearly incorrect and the refs on the mat did not handle it well at all. Unacceptable that when three refs are 'watching' they all got the colors mixed up and refused to accept they were wrong. 

That all said, everybody in here bashing these guys should try putting on the stripes themselves. Maybe you will be able to help with the shortage, but you will probably realize it is 100x harder than you think and quit after getting yelled at a few times like many do. Than you might at least respect them more.

most refs are weirdos. I'm serious. 

Wrestlers are weirdos dude, not just refs. It's a fringe sport for a reason. Nice contribution.

#24 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:44 AM

Have always respected the quality refs I've worked with--guys who quietly did their job, mostly unnoticeable, kept the attention on the combatants and not themselves.  Every ref blows a call, just as wrestlers miss scoring opportunities, good coaches occasionally run a poor practice, etc.  The issue here is the arrogance shown when completely in the wrong and the utter lack of respect shown to those who wanted to get it right.  At the national championship one year, our guy hit a spladle but the ref had never seen the move before and awarded no takedown, no backpoints, and, most importantly, no pin.  Later the next day he approached us and admitted he was wrong; while it didn't change anything as far as the match was concerned, I could respect the man for admitting his error and having the guts to approach us, knowing there was a strong chance we would go off on him (which we didn't; we shook hands and moved on--closure for everybody). 

• tbert likes this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#25 tbert

tbert

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:32 AM

As the sayin 'goes... ya get what you pay for.

I would agree it's a tough "job". A job with no pay.
MAGA!

#26 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:15 AM

Since red initiated, I thought that should have been scored 2 and 2.

Also, the ref is asleep at the wheel.   He should have noticed how close the barrier and floor are and put some air in the whistle! 

• Coach_J likes this

#27 Sheerstress

Sheerstress

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:36 AM

The ref might not have been at a good angle to see that both of blue's shoulders clearly touched the mat for enough time to score a fall.  

But how in the world did they say that red was pinned?

• Coach_J, cjc007 and GranbyTroll like this

#28 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:17 AM

Here’s my guess. It appeared ref went four blue. You could then hear the chairman saying there’s a confirmed fall, which is a very rare occasion without the ref asking for fall, and which red corner may not have heard. Judge comes over to the table. Red corner still does not realize fall is on the table and thinks they’re discussing four blue, red coach comes to the table with the brick. This is where a mental switcharoo takes place. Chair and judge, talking to red corner who is holding the brick, demanding we have a fall and falls are not reviewable. Red corner continues to argue. All parties are a little confused at this point. Judge and chair end argument because we have a fall and it is not reviewable, and being that red corner was there with a brick, the mental switcharoo and they raise blues hand.

It’s the only thing I can come up with on how they got a blue fall. And being they changed it later, this is just what I think happened.

The unintentional Jedi mind trick.....

#29 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:32 AM

Here’s my guess. It appeared ref went four blue. You could then hear the chairman saying there’s a confirmed fall, which is a very rare occasion without the ref asking for fall, and which red corner may not have heard. Judge comes over to the table. Red corner still does not realize fall is on the table and thinks they’re discussing four blue, red coach comes to the table with the brick. This is where a mental switcharoo takes place. Chair and judge, talking to red corner who is holding the brick, demanding we have a fall and falls are not reviewable. Red corner continues to argue. All parties are a little confused at this point. Judge and chair end argument because we have a fall and it is not reviewable, and being that red corner was there with a brick, the mental switcharoo and they raise blues hand.

It’s the only thing I can come up with on how they got a blue fall. And being they changed it later, this is just what I think happened.

The unintentional Jedi mind trick.....

Not quite. The judge was holding his blue hand up signalling fall.

#30 Vertical

Vertical

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:54 PM

When I watched this match, I scored it 4 Red.  Red initiated the shot, never relinquished his hold, and obviously put blue in danger.  As an official, I can understand, there are various angles to a move/hold/action.  The Official on the mat felt there was a change of direction, and thus offered 4 Blue which was confirmed by the Judge, and in a moment of quick action also signaled for a Fall.  The Chairman, did in fact confirm, and that is what everyone is seeing and commenting on.  

While the results were originally scored for Blue, including the Fall, after review, it was changed to Red winning by Fall.  We as officials, do the best we can, not once, have I ever known anyone to wake-up and go to a tournament or match and say "let's mess this up, or score it wrong."  We're human and it (mistakes) happens.  They got it right in the end.  That is what really does matter.  There is NEVER a Wrong time to do the Right thing.  I have spoken with 2 of the 3 involved, we discussed the move, match, and outcome, they agreed, it could/should have been different.  That's a learning curve in and of itself.

Everyone that day earned their pay (nothing), like coaches, and table workers, they are volunteers.  I love what Flo does to promote wrestling, I have listened to countless matches they have broadcasted, and commentated on, many times they (Flo) gets it wrong on their own scoring opinions, they just don't put themselves on blast like they threw this volunteer crew under the bus.  I still respect and support them, but would love for their next event, let me run a camera, and comment, while I give them a whistle and wristbands and let them make the call.  And, if we all have the chance to watch a video, slow it down, rematch it again and again, we'd be even better, but calls are watched, analyzed, and scored in real-time, not with the benefit that all the naysayers have.

Just my $.02, which is many, many times, more than I make as a volunteer. 

• smcfee likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users