nom

Final X format — current critique

No idea. Clawride was the one who brought up viewership numbers being potentially conflated.

I would think that Flo and USA Wrestling would be transparent and share the viewership numbers to tout their partnership and how they are growing the sport to "unprecedented heights." Funny I was able to tune into professional cornhole on television this week, but the best USA wrestling can do is put their premier product behind a subscription based streaming service.

I enjoyed the first part. The timing of a couple hours on a Saturday evening was great for me. I enjoyed some productivity early in the day instead of watching several mats full of less-consequential wrestling and wiping out an entire day or few days.

I was once reluctant to pay for Flo, but I must have gotten used to it. I know for sure that it's not the dumbest $12.50 I will spend this June. There are months that I question the value of the subscription, but the BTN partnership made the college season even more worth it, and the Spring "freestyle season" has extended that value through June, IMO.

For those griping about paying to watch wrestling, what are you getting for 12bucks that tops three Final X productions this month? I mean, it's like one evening movie ticket where I live, or maybe a pub burger and a pint...? 

I enjoyed the first part. The timing of a couple hours on a Saturday evening was great for me. I enjoyed some productivity early in the day instead of watching several mats full of less-consequential wrestling and wiping out an entire day or few days.

I was once reluctant to pay for Flo, but I must have gotten used to it. I know for sure that it's not the dumbest $12.50 I will spend this June. There are months that I question the value of the subscription, but the BTN partnership made the college season even more worth it, and the Spring "freestyle season" has extended that value through June, IMO.

For those griping about paying to watch wrestling, what are you getting for 12bucks that tops three Final X productions this month? I mean, it's like one evening movie ticket where I live, or maybe a pub burger and a pint...?

This is a post wrestling fans really need to think about and pay attention to.

In spite of my bluster, I watched it.  I always cave in to watching wrestling.

The show was actually pretty good.  The wrestling was great.  I even enjoyed the chess matches.

The only problem I had was panning to the crowd during some important action.

They showed chess???

I've got to tune in to the next one.   

It's not the money, it is the principle of an unpolished product. They should know better than to pan away during a match. Bader has been around a long time, his delivery and attention to his craft ought to be more refined by now.

they are not broadcasters... they are wrestling fans that play the roles and as such have made huge improvements over the years... any expectations past that is on you...

i will fully agree that the cut aways during the action was bad, but, overall the product last night was far and away their best to date and the entire experience was very enjoyable... to nit pick everything they do is a symptom of the nit pickers... not flo

could not agree more... anyone who complains about paying for a subscription to flo is not a fan of wrestling...

That's a pretty ridiculous statement. One would think wrestling fans would want their product available to the masses and casual viewers. Subscription based streaming service ensures the exact opposite. It is certainly no way to grow the sport to "unprecedented heights".

On a personal level, I will never give Flo another cent. I paid for a subscription long enough only to be ripped off numerous times by a failure to deliver the product I paid for.

Bader and Pyles aren't perfect but it's not like we have a bench full of A+ commentators just sitting on the sidelines. Who's the alternative?

Really? There are some obvious big names who would do great commentating on premier events including Jake Herbert and Ben Askren. Jake Herbert is infinitely better than Bader.

wrestling will never be a sport that will garner the attention of casual fans or the masses... expecting it to be shows an intrinsic ignorance about the sport itself and sports fans in this country...

if flo did not do what they do then there would be no coverage at all... if they were that bad for wrestling then surely it would be very easy to compete with and overtake their market... 

hasn't happened, huh?

why not?

Yeah, spladle, I screamed at the screen a couple times last night - most obviously the switch back to JB's family while he was in the middle of a 6pt sequence. I imagine they were trying to cut to cut from camera one to camera two, but inadvertently switched back to three. It couldn't have been more terribly timed.

Bader is bro-hearted and presumably suffers from ADD. Sometimes that's funny, sometimes I'm left shaking my head at his boneheaded tangental commentary. I've come to accept him as a quintessential wrestling personality, and I'd take him over the flavorless know-nothings that we get with some of the bigger productions, but he's certainly not above criticism. 

Missourimatman, Jake Herbert is just a broey as Bader and almost as tangental - maybe a little more predicable in his color commentary, but I'd say they're pretty similar. I'd add JD Bergman to that bench, though. 

wrestling will never be a sport that will garner the attention of casual fans or the masses... expecting it to be shows an intrinsic ignorance about the sport itself and sports fans in this country...

if flo did not do what they do then there would be no coverage at all... if they were that bad for wrestling then surely it would be very easy to compete with and overtake their market...

hasn't happened, huh?

why not?

Pardon my ignorance then.So to be clear a casual tv viewer will watch cornhole on ESPN, but no one will watch wrestling? If that is the case and the sport has no potential to attract casual fans, then wrestling has a pretty poor product.

You are ignoring the fact that many niche sports make there way on to television, but suggesting that wrestling could do the same makes me ignorant. No one is arguing that wrestling is ever going to be a popular, mainstream sport. However, suggesting there is no growth potential is setting the bar pretty low.

Pardon my ignorance then.So to be clear a casual tv viewer will watch cornhole on ESPN, but no one will watch wrestling? If that is the case and the sport has no potential to attract casual fans, then wrestling has a pretty poor product.

You are ignoring the fact that many niche sports make there way on to television, but suggesting that wrestling could do the same makes me ignorant. No one is arguing that wrestling is ever going to be a popular, mainstream sport. However, suggesting there is no growth potential is setting the bar pretty low.

you do realize that all those niche sports that appear on the ocho pay ESPN to put them on, right?

I thought it was a great event because there was exciting wrestling and no technical issues. With that said I did notice a reason why the announcing seems so bad that I hadn’t before. Instead of a team of two where one person is the professional announcer and the other the color commentator, both take both roles. The result is a jumbled presentation instead of a simple/clear one.

Maybe daughter? 'Burkert' was 'Burkett' all night long.

Well I did have a daughter that wrestled and I did find Jenna's backpack and cell phone that someone stole from the farodome years ago. Does that count?

Don't care about pronunciation. Bader gets so unraveled he gets the two names confused. Gomer has to reel him back in.

Edited by tbert

If our collective goal is to grow the wrestling audience, then a Flo paywall is not the answer. Flo is for established fans and not the casual sports fan that may have a sibling or cousin that wrestled but otherwise doesn't follow the sport. We can concede that the wrestling audience has very little growth potential and continue with the pay to play model.

If our collective goal is to grow the wrestling audience, then a Flo paywall is not the answer. Flo is for established fans and not the casual sports fan that may have a sibling or cousin that wrestled but otherwise doesn't follow the sport. We can concede that the wrestling audience has very little growth potential and continue with the pay to play model.

NBC doesn’t want to broadcast the WTT. Maybe Flo can prove there’s a market and then USAW can get NBC to air it.

hasn't happened, huh?

why not?

Common sense prevails with this post.

Since names are being thrown out there for play by play and commentary, right there in the post above, Jason Bryant. One of the best in the business, IMO.

Still totally enjoyed the production, Bader, CP and all. Also got a kick out of Joe and Mike on the post game. Watched their whole review and wrap up. (Would have been cool if that Final X monitor in between them showed the highlights as they were discussing each match.)

Looking forward to next Saturday night already!    :D  

Flo is new to the whole production thing with multiple camera angles and storylines, thus the pan to Beacon during a big moment and other missteps. I can promise you their production team is 1/10th than would be there for a similar production by ESPN or a major company. Their production is getting better, but to compare it to ESPN and others is comparing apples to oranges.

could not agree more... anyone who complains about paying for a subscription to flo is not a fan of wrestling... 

Makes sense ..and anyone who pays for cable/ satelite  and complains about the coverage of fox news or cnn is not a fan of america