nom

Final X format — current critique

NBC doesn’t want to broadcast the WTT. Maybe Flo can prove there’s a market and then USAW can get NBC to air it.

Does NBC have exclusive rights to wrestling? Is it the only network? Once again to use cornhole as an example, I doubt ESPN sought out the cornhole league to televise their product. More than likely they were sold on the idea. Cornhole league executives can sell their product to a major network, but wrestling can't?

Makes sense ..and anyone who pays for cable/ satelite  and complains about the coverage of fox news or cnn is not a fan of america

pay for cable?

is this 1986????

who has cable anymore?

and i will not comment on paying attention to either fox or cnn...

I’m pretty sure that in very recent years wrestling has been on ESPN, nbc, among other networks. But we don’t want to mention that, because it boars a hole in what we want to bitch about this week. So carry on.

Does NBC have exclusive rights to wrestling? Is it the only network? Once again to use cornhole as an example, I doubt ESPN sought out the cornhole league to televise their product. More than likely they were sold on the idea. Cornhole league executives can sell their product to a major network, but wrestling can't?

ugh...

cornhole isn't selling anything to anyone... some company/product/advertiser is using a trendy middle class yard game to attract someone to view their product... that company/product/advertiser paid ESPN to air an already produced piece in the hopes that males 18-36 will watch their commercial... 

no company/product/advertiser feels wrestling is popular enough to use it as an advertising platform...

this is not rocket science...

i dont understand that headline... train where he wants.

you mean there are people who are forced to train somewhere they dont want to?

now as to his statement about always wanting to wrestle WTT in lincoln (I am assuming that is what they are addressing)... thats up to USAW.

ugh...

cornhole isn't selling anything to anyone... some company/product/advertiser is using a trendy middle class yard game to attract someone to view their product... that company/product/advertiser paid ESPN to air an already produced piece in the hopes that males 18-36 will watch their commercial...

no company/product/advertiser feels wrestling is popular enough to use it as an advertising platform...

this is not rocket science...

Cornhole was aired live on ESPN2 and entirely produced by ESPN. It was not an already produced piece that was merely aired. Maybe Johnsonville paid for the entire thing to sell brats, I don't know.

wow... a quick search shows you are absolutely correct about cornhole... looks like there 6 people in an empty arena and it got aired on ESPN... it pulled over 300K viewers...

the semis of NCAA pulled 451K and the finals pulled 628K... in a sport that is as old as man itself piggy backed on top of collegiate fan bases...

regardless... in my scenario insert lawnmower racing instead of cornhole... 

Jenna's last name is, in fact, pronounced Burkett. 

NBC has the rights to lots of wrestling content. so does ESPN. I think it would be great for the sport if they put some of that awesome wrestling content on their broadcast and cable networks. it's a shame they don't, they have tremendous resources that they could put to use promoting the sport!

i  think for the average viewer it might have to be more like the old abc wide world of sports... where they show bits and pieces.

IE show the big moves and summaries(which is better than nothing). b/c matches like green/chambo would not sell.

I still dont know why they dont show more of the human side like they do during the olympics, where they show you a day in the life...or find the backstory of someone who has overcome something. (even ESPN doesn't do this much with wrestling, but they do it alot in other sports: baseball, basketball, football, softball) 

I still dont know why they dont show more of the human side like they do during the olympics, where they show you a day in the life...or find the backstory of someone who has overcome something. (even ESPN doesn't do this much with wrestling, but they do it alot in other sports: baseball, basketball, football, softball) 

I agree. A big part of the appeal behind wrestling is knowing the athletes on a personal level.

This is why parents and family members of wrestlers love watching their loved ones wrestle, but could careless about the sport itself.

This is why a 1-0 match between 2 studs can be an exciting match when watched live if you know the backstory behind it. 

i  think for the average viewer it might have to be more like the old abc wide world of sports... where they show bits and pieces.

IE show the big moves and summaries(which is better than nothing). b/c matches like green/chambo would not sell.

One advantage of the Final X format is that we can build storylines and backstories on the matches. With the old way it was harder as you didn't know who was coming out of the challenge tournament.

Another advantage of the three week series is that we build the storylines for a few matches each week and won't be skipping over as many if they were all in one event.

Well we are on the verge of Final X II and I can't say I am any more excited about this three meet format. I want to watch but I also don't care to set aside my Saturday night for one interesting match up between Zahid and Dake. I still remain unimpressed with the three meets though I do like having it be best 2 of 3 on a seperate day from one man wrestling through a bracket.

Just tuning in.     I couldn't make the schedule work out in order to catch the bouts today, so hopefully I get to see them tonight if they're posted.     From what I'm reading, no big surprises.     Anyone know how the crowd looked?     Anything resembling a good turnout?

it looked about 1/2 to 3/4 full to me... 

so maybe this is good.

at WTT a few years ago in Lincoln it was half full and then the first final x was about the same, a little smaller, so right now we have double the crowd.

hopefully the 3rd addition has decent numbers.

Okay, I haven't read the entire thread so please excuse me if I repeat someone else's ideas.  Here is what I like about the current format:

1. It's perfect for an evening's viewing of great bouts.  Best two of three at several weights, some series extended to the third bout, very audience-friendly viewing window for an evening. One evening, all done--sweet.

2. Gives a greater spotlight to the individual athletes at each site than if they were all lumped in for a massive weekend of wrestling.

3. Allows plenty of discussion as we gear up for the next site's match-ups.

4. The person who wins the mini-tourney gets a few weeks to recover.  A more equitable set up for the challenger.

5. Nice spacing of nationals, mini-tourney, and final X.

What I don't like:

1. Yes, you could make a criticism argument based on any of the reasons cited above.

2. The selection of host sites.  I think there are better places than one of the sites in particular.  Spread the wealth out geographically to other wrestling hotbeds where there is a great chance of a local being on the card.  Iowa, Columbus, Vegas, St. Louis, etc., would have brought in nice crowds.