• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:22 PM

When you pay for a streaming service, I don't think it's ridiculous to request that the announcers of those events actually call the matches instead of screaming the entire time/saying ridiculous things. I also don't think it's a problem to complain when the stream stops working.

I stand by my general statement.

#22 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

I agree. And yes, Bader was very loud in the beginning and I think many remember that. But IMO he is much more polished now. Pretty sure Bader was with Flo from the beginning.

Totally enjoy Bader, CP, Nomad, Willie, Kyle, Ryan, Mike and all the guys, even Jaroslav. :D

They are pioneers in our sport.

+1.  Complain all you want about the $100 or whatever you spend annually on Flo broadcasts.  Where would we be without them?  I spend more in a day going to another sporting event than I do annually for the content Flo provides. 

• GranbyTroll and Yellow_Medal like this

#23 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:52 PM

The screaming thing is not as bad as it was before, but it's still there and I cringe when I see the highlight videos they make with their "announcing" dubbed in over ESPN video.  I also think there is a clear difference in quality between the announcing on the ESPN/Big Ten Network/NBCSN streams than the flo stream.  Maybe the point is to expect less from flowrestling because they are the smaller outlet, but like I said, there's nothing wrong with providing constructive criticism that announcing is still an area for improvement.  They should watch how the pros do it and try to work their way up to that level.  There are some very good wrestling announcers..they just don't work for Flo.  Beyond the people who do the ESPN/BTN broadcasts, I think JB is one of the best as well.  

I'm happy with what I get for what I pay with flo, but stop acting like it is some huge bargain.  It is competitively priced with other streaming services.  

#24 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:53 PM

The biggest problem I have with Final X, is I wish it was Saturday evening already, I am way past waiting patiently. Lol.
  • jcjcjc likes this

#25 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:25 PM

but like I said, there's nothing wrong with providing constructive criticism that announcing is still an area for improvement. 

Agreed, and I don't think anyone disagrees with that.   But you didn't initially say "announcing is still an area for improvement" - you said  "actually call the matches instead of screaming the entire time"  - to me that isn't constructive nor is it true. 

If your original post regarding the announcing was worded more like the one you just made it wouldn't have gotten the blowback it did...

Edited by Gantry, 07 June 2018 - 03:26 PM.

• jcjcjc likes this

#26 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:37 PM

The screaming thing is not as bad as it was before, but it's still there and I cringe when I see the highlight videos they make with their "announcing" dubbed in over ESPN video. I also think there is a clear difference in quality between the announcing on the ESPN/Big Ten Network/NBCSN streams than the flo stream. Maybe the point is to expect less from flowrestling because they are the smaller outlet, but like I said, there's nothing wrong with providing constructive criticism that announcing is still an area for improvement. They should watch how the pros do it and try to work their way up to that level. There are some very good wrestling announcers..they just don't work for Flo. Beyond the people who do the ESPN/BTN broadcasts, I think JB is one of the best as well.

I'm happy with what I get for what I pay with flo, but stop acting like it is some huge bargain. It is competitively priced with other streaming services.

Funny because after NCAAs and B1Gs I see a ton of people complain about how horrible Tim Johnston and the other ESPN commentators are.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 07 June 2018 - 03:37 PM.

• Yellow_Medal likes this

#27 ClawRide

ClawRide

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:28 AM

With these types of events, I typically invite people over to watch and we have a wrestling party.  Now that it is split up, I won't be doing that.  In fact, I will probably not even watch at all and just pick up the results on Twitter.

When the Flo watching numbers come out, I hope they don't inflate them by counting 1 viewer watching 3 events as 3 viewers.  The measurement should be unique viewers.

• jon, Angry_Fish and GranbyTroll like this

#28 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:31 AM

With these types of events, I typically invite people over to watch and we have a wrestling party.  Now that it is split up, I won't be doing that.  In fact, I will probably not even watch at all and just pick up the results on Twitter.

When the Flo watching numbers come out, I hope they don't inflate them by counting 1 viewer watching 3 events as 3 viewers.  The measurement should be unique viewers.

The 3 different events should have 3 unique viewership numbers.

• Missourimatman likes this

#29 ClawRide

ClawRide

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:27 AM

The 3 different events should have 3 unique viewership numbers.

Here is what I am getting at.

If Customer A watches all three 'sessions' of Final X, it is still 1 customer.

If Flo presents the above example as 3 customers to show 'market growth', it is misleading.  I think this might very well be what is behind the split.  They can say, "Look at our increased viewership", while in fact, the market is still the same (or maybe even worse).

If the padded numbers are used as a basis for future programming, we might get more of this 'splitting' stuff, which I personally think is the wrong direction.

Edited by ClawRide, 08 June 2018 - 03:27 AM.

• jon likes this

#30 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:32 AM

Not a customer, but if I was, would Flo be charging me more to watch Final X?  Is there an extra cost for each week?  I honestly don't know.

mspart

#31 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:37 AM

I don’t believe so. I don’t subscribe to Flo but have seriously been considering it for this month for the Final X. Decisions decisions

#32 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:52 AM

there are innumerable ways to measure a term as imprecise as "market growth" but Flo does distinguish between unique and reoccurring viewers if it makes anyone feel any better. I suppose we could always ignore uniques and all other metrics when presenting our 'market growth' figures to whomever, but anyone with any media savvy would see through the ruse immediately. 

FloPro subscriptions are $150/year, or $12.50 a month. There's no pay-per-view option. so if you sign up for Final X you get all three events, plus every other event FloWrestling carries for a calendar year (U.S. Open, Beat the Streets, most of the Big Ten home duals, Fargo, Southern Scuffle, Super 32, and much much more), plus every other Flo website (grappling, track & field, volleyball, rugby, bowling, etc). solid deal imo but I am biased (I work for Flo, though I receive nothing for additions to our subscriber count).

emailing support@flosports.tv should get you answers to any other questions you can think of!

• vsnej and Yellow_Medal like this

#33 tbert

tbert

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:09 AM

I can live stream my commentary from my couch if you'd like. Commentary will mostly consist of me complaining about officials and telling wrestlers what they should be doing, as if I know better than both them and their coaches. There will also be a lot of WHAT IS HE DOING?!?'s.

Can you at least get the wrestlers names correct , If not can you just say red or blue

Edited by tbert, 08 June 2018 - 05:11 AM.

MAGA!

#34 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:07 AM

there are innumerable ways to measure a term as imprecise as "market growth" but Flo does distinguish between unique and reoccurring viewers if it makes anyone feel any better. I suppose we could always ignore uniques and all other metrics when presenting our 'market growth' figures to whomever, but anyone with any media savvy would see through the ruse immediately. 

FloPro subscriptions are $150/year, or $12.50 a month. There's no pay-per-view option. so if you sign up for Final X you get all three events, plus every other event FloWrestling carries for a calendar year (U.S. Open, Beat the Streets, most of the Big Ten home duals, Fargo, Southern Scuffle, Super 32, and much much more), plus every other Flo website (grappling, track & field, volleyball, rugby, bowling, etc). solid deal imo but I am biased (I work for Flo, though I receive nothing for additions to our subscriber count).

emailing support@flosports.tv should get you answers to any other questions you can think of!

Thanks

mspart

#35 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:10 AM

there are innumerable ways to measure a term as imprecise as "market growth" but Flo does distinguish between unique and reoccurring viewers if it makes anyone feel any better. I suppose we could always ignore uniques and all other metrics when presenting our 'market growth' figures to whomever, but anyone with any media savvy would see through the ruse immediately.

FloPro subscriptions are $150/year, or $12.50 a month. There's no pay-per-view option. so if you sign up for Final X you get all three events, plus every other event FloWrestling carries for a calendar year (U.S. Open, Beat the Streets, most of the Big Ten home duals, Fargo, Southern Scuffle, Super 32, and much much more), plus every other Flo website (grappling, track & field, volleyball, rugby, bowling, etc). solid deal imo but I am biased (I work for Flo, though I receive nothing for additions to our subscriber count).

Where did the terry doc go?

#36 BobDole

BobDole

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:36 AM

Funny because after NCAAs and B1Gs I see a ton of people complain about how horrible Tim Johnston and the other ESPN commentators are.

Wrestling people like to complain about everything.

• BigTenFanboy likes this

#37 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:49 AM

Where did the terry doc go?

EXPLAIN TOWER 7!!!

• Billyhoyle likes this

#38 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:54 AM

EXPLAIN TOWER 7!!!

I haven't seen a mystery this interesting on these forums since, "he who must not be named." 

• GockeS likes this

#39 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:52 PM

you aren't much of a partier.

i only need a small excuse, like the sun coming up.

hell, 3 different wrestling weekends? 

• steamboat_charlie and jcjcjc like this

#40 jcjcjc

jcjcjc

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:41 PM

you aren't much of a partier.
i only need a small excuse, like the sun coming up.
hell, 3 different wrestling weekends?

You my people
  • GockeS likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users