Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:08 PM

the marines sure seemed to like the platform at final x

#82 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:10 PM

not enough to pay a major network to air it...

#83 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:12 PM

the marines sure seemed to like the platform at final x

So did Jordan Burroughs

https://www.flowrest...ere-he-wantsmp4

#84 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:24 PM

i dont understand that headline... train where he wants.

you mean there are people who are forced to train somewhere they dont want to?

now as to his statement about always wanting to wrestle WTT in lincoln (I am assuming that is what they are addressing)... thats up to USAW.

#85 Missourimatman

Missourimatman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:44 PM

ugh...

cornhole isn't selling anything to anyone... some company/product/advertiser is using a trendy middle class yard game to attract someone to view their product... that company/product/advertiser paid ESPN to air an already produced piece in the hopes that males 18-36 will watch their commercial...

no company/product/advertiser feels wrestling is popular enough to use it as an advertising platform...

this is not rocket science...

Cornhole was aired live on ESPN2 and entirely produced by ESPN. It was not an already produced piece that was merely aired. Maybe Johnsonville paid for the entire thing to sell brats, I don't know.

#86 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:40 AM

wow... a quick search shows you are absolutely correct about cornhole... looks like there 6 people in an empty arena and it got aired on ESPN... it pulled over 300K viewers...

the semis of NCAA pulled 451K and the finals pulled 628K... in a sport that is as old as man itself piggy backed on top of collegiate fan bases...

regardless... in my scenario insert lawnmower racing instead of cornhole... 

#87 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:03 AM

Jenna's last name is, in fact, pronounced Burkett. 

NBC has the rights to lots of wrestling content. so does ESPN. I think it would be great for the sport if they put some of that awesome wrestling content on their broadcast and cable networks. it's a shame they don't, they have tremendous resources that they could put to use promoting the sport!

#88 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:05 AM

i  think for the average viewer it might have to be more like the old abc wide world of sports... where they show bits and pieces.

IE show the big moves and summaries(which is better than nothing). b/c matches like green/chambo would not sell.

I still dont know why they dont show more of the human side like they do during the olympics, where they show you a day in the life...or find the backstory of someone who has overcome something. (even ESPN doesn't do this much with wrestling, but they do it alot in other sports: baseball, basketball, football, softball) 

#89 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:17 AM

I still dont know why they dont show more of the human side like they do during the olympics, where they show you a day in the life...or find the backstory of someone who has overcome something. (even ESPN doesn't do this much with wrestling, but they do it alot in other sports: baseball, basketball, football, softball) 

I agree. A big part of the appeal behind wrestling is knowing the athletes on a personal level.

This is why parents and family members of wrestlers love watching their loved ones wrestle, but could careless about the sport itself.

This is why a 1-0 match between 2 studs can be an exciting match when watched live if you know the backstory behind it. 

#90 BobDole

BobDole

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:25 AM

i  think for the average viewer it might have to be more like the old abc wide world of sports... where they show bits and pieces.

IE show the big moves and summaries(which is better than nothing). b/c matches like green/chambo would not sell.

One advantage of the Final X format is that we can build storylines and backstories on the matches. With the old way it was harder as you didn't know who was coming out of the challenge tournament.

Another advantage of the three week series is that we build the storylines for a few matches each week and won't be skipping over as many if they were all in one event.

• GockeS likes this

#91 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:47 AM

well said mr president

#92 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:42 AM

Well we are on the verge of Final X II and I can't say I am any more excited about this three meet format. I want to watch but I also don't care to set aside my Saturday night for one interesting match up between Zahid and Dake. I still remain unimpressed with the three meets though I do like having it be best 2 of 3 on a seperate day from one man wrestling through a bracket.

#93 LoStNuMbEr

LoStNuMbEr

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,154 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 10:38 AM

Edited by LoStNuMbEr, 16 June 2018 - 10:39 AM.

#94 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:33 PM

Just tuning in.     I couldn't make the schedule work out in order to catch the bouts today, so hopefully I get to see them tonight if they're posted.     From what I'm reading, no big surprises.     Anyone know how the crowd looked?     Anything resembling a good turnout?

#95 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:34 PM

Lot of Penn state fans present from the little bit I got to see. Not sure on actual attendance figures though.

#96 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:50 PM

it looked about 1/2 to 3/4 full to me... 

so maybe this is good.

at WTT a few years ago in Lincoln it was half full and then the first final x was about the same, a little smaller, so right now we have double the crowd.

hopefully the 3rd addition has decent numbers.

#97 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:21 PM

I've been to these when there's barely 2000 people there for the final.  Not sure what half full means (3500 or so?) but certainly it sounds encouraging.    

#98 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:01 AM

Okay, I haven't read the entire thread so please excuse me if I repeat someone else's ideas.  Here is what I like about the current format:

1. It's perfect for an evening's viewing of great bouts.  Best two of three at several weights, some series extended to the third bout, very audience-friendly viewing window for an evening. One evening, all done--sweet.

2. Gives a greater spotlight to the individual athletes at each site than if they were all lumped in for a massive weekend of wrestling.

3. Allows plenty of discussion as we gear up for the next site's match-ups.

4. The person who wins the mini-tourney gets a few weeks to recover.  A more equitable set up for the challenger.

5. Nice spacing of nationals, mini-tourney, and final X.

What I don't like:

1. Yes, you could make a criticism argument based on any of the reasons cited above.

2. The selection of host sites.  I think there are better places than one of the sites in particular.  Spread the wealth out geographically to other wrestling hotbeds where there is a great chance of a local being on the card.  Iowa, Columbus, Vegas, St. Louis, etc., would have brought in nice crowds.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users