124 replies to this topic

#1 manyak

manyak

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:12 AM

https://thepointmag....stling-in-paris

Great to see some traditional media coverage of this.

• Alwayswrestling likes this

#2 Alwayswrestling

Alwayswrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,980 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for sharing!

#3 Frank_Rizzo

Frank_Rizzo

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:02 AM

Cool article.  Most wrestling articles usually suck, but that one was great.  Thanks for posting. 

"I don't like the sport of wrestling as you know.  It's a low sport.  And I don't like to see you being low."

#4 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:35 AM

Some funny lines in this article-definitely a good read.  

Who was the American announcer? 

"Two announcers had been assigned to the tournament—one a Frenchman who generally spoke first when something significant had happened, the other a smarmy American guy who appeared to know nothing about wrestling and may as well have been Joe Buck."

A line that I especially liked:

"Sadulaev actually seemed a little challenged by Ketoev, a bowling ball of a wrestler, more wool than man."

More good stuff:

"Snyder appears transplanted from classical myth all right—lambent, larger than life—but in hindsight the figure he calls to mind for me isn’t Hercules. It’s Icarus."

And then a bit of DF influence clearly:

"In fact, it’s always Sadulaev who ends up holding my gaze in this picture: the still and supine devastation, how he screens his face from a crowd he’d largely won over by then—North Koreans, Iranians and all the rest, so many of whom had clamored for him, only to depart from the arena quiet and somehow chastened."

Edited by Billyhoyle, 08 June 2018 - 08:47 AM.

#5 mattchristensen112

mattchristensen112

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:08 AM

Sorry guys, I must be in the minority here. I find his writing style distracting, almost as if he is more interested in showing off his writing ability than capturing the moments for the reader.

• silver-medal, Coach_J, tbert and 1 other like this

#6 manyak

manyak

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:14 AM

Sorry guys, I must be in the minority here. I find his writing style distracting, almost as if he is more interested in showing off his writing ability than capturing the moments for the reader.

It's definitely not a straight forward sports journalism piece. It was in the "politics" section in an intellectual magazine.

• tbert likes this

#7 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,915 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:55 AM

I do think he got the reaction of Sudalaev correct. I have said many times Sudalaev was wrecked, his interviews to the contrary. His running down weight instead of getting back to Snyder indicative of this, suggests as much. He isn't afraid of Snyder so much of needing time to process and then reengaging.
  • Billyhoyle likes this

#8 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:33 PM

Great article on the whole.

He is obviously wordy and that is your thing or it isn't and it's simply the personal preference of the reader.  I love long hand journalism and I don't mind the language.  I thought my wife might enjoy it as a lukewarm 'fan' who knows a tiny bit of wrestling.  She read a few hundred words and said "why don't you just tell me who wins the match, that's interesting but the writing isn't."

His desire to create opposites out of Snyder and Sadulaev in the end falls flat.  I'm fine with pointing out the healthy (at least) ego of Snyder.  Every competitive guy has a healthy ego or more.  But to paint Sadulaev as the opposite and to pretend that Snyder's arrogance led to the fans being in Sad's corner is dumb.  Burroughs has far more ego than Snyder and is beloved by fans worldwide.  Sad is loved because he's more exciting and has blitzed the world before that tournament.  Both guys have egos and neither fits the underdog narrative he was trying to drum up.  Snyder may be Icarus who hasn't crashed to Earth yet, but Sadulaev is simply Icarus who has.  They aren't opposites no matter how much more complete the narrative is if you make them.

Also the rural quality of wrestling is very interesting.  In Texas wrestling is almost exclusively a sport of the wealthy suburbs.  It's a new sport in Texas and the small towns have never had teams.  Only the wealthy suburbs of the big cities do.  It's very strange compared to where wrestling flourishes around the country.  It's almost like the Lacrosse of the South down here.  The Amarillo area has a long history of wrestling and fits the demo you find elsewhere, but the rest of the wrestling in the state sure doesn't.  

#9 nom

nom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:13 AM

Thanks for posting!! Good read!

#10 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:08 AM

Nice post.  I can see why someone not interested in wrestling might not enjoy the piece.  It's practically an ode to wrestling, masked by the story it purports to tell.  Wrestlers and former wrestlers most likely enjoy it, but if you've never been in a room... or don't have an intimate knowledge of it, it probably doesn't do much for you. 

#11 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:43 AM

Nice post.  I can see why someone not interested in wrestling might not enjoy the piece.  It's practically an ode to wrestling, masked by the story it purports to tell.  Wrestlers and former wrestlers most likely enjoy it, but if you've never been in a room... or don't have an intimate knowledge of it, it probably doesn't do much for you. 

We'll see anyway... I sent it to my sister who knows next to nothing about wrestling

#12 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,915 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:59 AM

He is obviously wordy and that is your thing or it isn't and it's simply the personal preference of the reader. I love long hand journalism and I don't mind the language. I thought my wife might enjoy it as a lukewarm 'fan' who knows a tiny bit of wrestling. She read a few hundred words and said "why don't you just tell me who wins the match, that's interesting but the writing isn't."

His desire to create opposites out of Snyder and Sadulaev in the end falls flat. I'm fine with pointing out the healthy (at least) ego of Snyder. Every competitive guy has a healthy ego or more. But to paint Sadulaev as the opposite and to pretend that Snyder's arrogance led to the fans being in Sad's corner is dumb. Burroughs has far more ego than Snyder and is beloved by fans worldwide. Sad is loved because he's more exciting and has blitzed the world before that tournament. Both guys have egos and neither fits the underdog narrative he was trying to drum up. Snyder may be Icarus who hasn't crashed to Earth yet, but Sadulaev is simply Icarus who has. They aren't opposites no matter how much more complete the narrative is if you make them.

Also the rural quality of wrestling is very interesting. In Texas wrestling is almost exclusively a sport of the wealthy suburbs. It's a new sport in Texas and the small towns have never had teams. Only the wealthy suburbs of the big cities do. It's very strange compared to where wrestling flourishes around the country. It's almost like the Lacrosse of the South down here. The Amarillo area has a long history of wrestling and fits the demo you find elsewhere, but the rest of the wrestling in the state sure doesn't.

I would surmise that most of the talent in most states come from big cities or there suburbs. In Californa it is Fresno, with most of the placers from big cities or the suburbs. New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado.

#13 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,860 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:31 AM

I would surmise that most of the talent in most states come from big cities or there suburbs. In Californa it is Fresno, with most of the placers from big cities or the suburbs. New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado.

In PA the suburbs, yes, the farmlands, mountains and anthracite regions also yes. The cities, no.
  • cjc007 likes this

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#14 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,915 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:38 AM

In PA the suburbs, yes, the farmlands, mountains and anthracite regions also yes. The cities, no.

Yeah mostly although a lot of talent comes out of the populated areas in the Lehigh valley and west around Pittsburg. Pennsylvania has the benefit that one area is so good another area gets good as well to keep up. There are special that way.

#15 1032004

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

Also the rural quality of wrestling is very interesting. In Texas wrestling is almost exclusively a sport of the wealthy suburbs. It's a new sport in Texas and the small towns have never had teams. Only the wealthy suburbs of the big cities do. It's very strange compared to where wrestling flourishes around the country. It's almost like the Lacrosse of the South down here. The Amarillo area has a long history of wrestling and fits the demo you find elsewhere, but the rest of the wrestling in the state sure doesn't.

I would bet that’s driven by transplants originally from the Northeast or Midwest. They may not have been from the cities or suburbs where they were from originally, but they tend to move to cities and suburbs of cities (in places like Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc.).

Haven’t read the article yet, seems interesting will check it out this week.

#16 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:37 PM

In New York, New Jersey, and PA, the cities aren't producing wrestlers.  Same for Iowa-ever since they got that pool table in River City, the kids just haven't been nearly as interested in wrestling.  

• tbert likes this

#17 1032004

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

In New York, New Jersey, and PA, the cities aren't producing wrestlers. Same for Iowa-ever since they got that pool table in River City, the kids just haven't been nearly as interested in wrestling.

The original comment stated “wealthy suburbs of big cities,” not the actual cities. Like 2/3 of NJ is a suburb and 90% of Long Island is.

#18 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:30 AM

I would bet that’s driven by transplants originally from the Northeast or Midwest. They may not have been from the cities or suburbs where they were from originally, but they tend to move to cities and suburbs of cities (in places like Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc.).

Haven’t read the article yet, seems interesting will check it out this week.

Great point.  All of wrestling in Texas was originally driven by out of state transplants to big cities.  Then the in-state growth grew up alongside those transplants in the suburbs.  Makes sense why it's not the slightest bit rural in that light.

#19 jcjcjc

jcjcjc

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:33 AM

The main difference is their reaction to victory:
Watch the video:

And if your viewing habits are like mine, the next video up is Previewed by snyder rage flexing.
  • Willis likes this

#20 cjc007

cjc007

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:48 AM

The main difference is their reaction to victory:
Watch the video:
https://youtu.be/p_34zFqcLno

And if your viewing habits are like mine, the next video up is Previewed by snyder rage flexing.

Sad looked like Snyder ripped his heart out after the loss.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users