manyak

Article about Snyder-Sadulaev match

Some funny lines in this article-definitely a good read.  

Who was the American announcer? 

"Two announcers had been assigned to the tournament—one a Frenchman who generally spoke first when something significant had happened, the other a smarmy American guy who appeared to know nothing about wrestling and may as well have been Joe Buck."

A line that I especially liked:

"Sadulaev actually seemed a little challenged by Ketoev, a bowling ball of a wrestler, more wool than man."

More good stuff:

"Snyder appears transplanted from classical myth all right—lambent, larger than life—but in hindsight the figure he calls to mind for me isn’t Hercules. It’s Icarus."

And then a bit of DF influence clearly:

"In fact, it’s always Sadulaev who ends up holding my gaze in this picture: the still and supine devastation, how he screens his face from a crowd he’d largely won over by then—North Koreans, Iranians and all the rest, so many of whom had clamored for him, only to depart from the arena quiet and somehow chastened."

Edited by Billyhoyle

Sorry guys, I must be in the minority here. I find his writing style distracting, almost as if he is more interested in showing off his writing ability than capturing the moments for the reader.

It's definitely not a straight forward sports journalism piece. It was in the "politics" section in an intellectual magazine.

I do think he got the reaction of Sudalaev correct. I have said many times Sudalaev was wrecked, his interviews to the contrary. His running down weight instead of getting back to Snyder indicative of this, suggests as much. He isn't afraid of Snyder so much of needing time to process and then reengaging.

Great article on the whole.

He is obviously wordy and that is your thing or it isn't and it's simply the personal preference of the reader.  I love long hand journalism and I don't mind the language.  I thought my wife might enjoy it as a lukewarm 'fan' who knows a tiny bit of wrestling.  She read a few hundred words and said "why don't you just tell me who wins the match, that's interesting but the writing isn't."

His desire to create opposites out of Snyder and Sadulaev in the end falls flat.  I'm fine with pointing out the healthy (at least) ego of Snyder.  Every competitive guy has a healthy ego or more.  But to paint Sadulaev as the opposite and to pretend that Snyder's arrogance led to the fans being in Sad's corner is dumb.  Burroughs has far more ego than Snyder and is beloved by fans worldwide.  Sad is loved because he's more exciting and has blitzed the world before that tournament.  Both guys have egos and neither fits the underdog narrative he was trying to drum up.  Snyder may be Icarus who hasn't crashed to Earth yet, but Sadulaev is simply Icarus who has.  They aren't opposites no matter how much more complete the narrative is if you make them.

Also the rural quality of wrestling is very interesting.  In Texas wrestling is almost exclusively a sport of the wealthy suburbs.  It's a new sport in Texas and the small towns have never had teams.  Only the wealthy suburbs of the big cities do.  It's very strange compared to where wrestling flourishes around the country.  It's almost like the Lacrosse of the South down here.  The Amarillo area has a long history of wrestling and fits the demo you find elsewhere, but the rest of the wrestling in the state sure doesn't.  

Nice post.  I can see why someone not interested in wrestling might not enjoy the piece.  It's practically an ode to wrestling, masked by the story it purports to tell.  Wrestlers and former wrestlers most likely enjoy it, but if you've never been in a room... or don't have an intimate knowledge of it, it probably doesn't do much for you. 

Nice post.  I can see why someone not interested in wrestling might not enjoy the piece.  It's practically an ode to wrestling, masked by the story it purports to tell.  Wrestlers and former wrestlers most likely enjoy it, but if you've never been in a room... or don't have an intimate knowledge of it, it probably doesn't do much for you. 

We'll see anyway... I sent it to my sister who knows next to nothing about wrestling

He is obviously wordy and that is your thing or it isn't and it's simply the personal preference of the reader. I love long hand journalism and I don't mind the language. I thought my wife might enjoy it as a lukewarm 'fan' who knows a tiny bit of wrestling. She read a few hundred words and said "why don't you just tell me who wins the match, that's interesting but the writing isn't."

His desire to create opposites out of Snyder and Sadulaev in the end falls flat. I'm fine with pointing out the healthy (at least) ego of Snyder. Every competitive guy has a healthy ego or more. But to paint Sadulaev as the opposite and to pretend that Snyder's arrogance led to the fans being in Sad's corner is dumb. Burroughs has far more ego than Snyder and is beloved by fans worldwide. Sad is loved because he's more exciting and has blitzed the world before that tournament. Both guys have egos and neither fits the underdog narrative he was trying to drum up. Snyder may be Icarus who hasn't crashed to Earth yet, but Sadulaev is simply Icarus who has. They aren't opposites no matter how much more complete the narrative is if you make them.

Also the rural quality of wrestling is very interesting. In Texas wrestling is almost exclusively a sport of the wealthy suburbs. It's a new sport in Texas and the small towns have never had teams. Only the wealthy suburbs of the big cities do. It's very strange compared to where wrestling flourishes around the country. It's almost like the Lacrosse of the South down here. The Amarillo area has a long history of wrestling and fits the demo you find elsewhere, but the rest of the wrestling in the state sure doesn't.

I would surmise that most of the talent in most states come from big cities or there suburbs. In Californa it is Fresno, with most of the placers from big cities or the suburbs. New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado.

I would surmise that most of the talent in most states come from big cities or there suburbs. In Californa it is Fresno, with most of the placers from big cities or the suburbs. New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado.

In PA the suburbs, yes, the farmlands, mountains and anthracite regions also yes. The cities, no.

In PA the suburbs, yes, the farmlands, mountains and anthracite regions also yes. The cities, no.

Yeah mostly although a lot of talent comes out of the populated areas in the Lehigh valley and west around Pittsburg. Pennsylvania has the benefit that one area is so good another area gets good as well to keep up. There are special that way.

Also the rural quality of wrestling is very interesting. In Texas wrestling is almost exclusively a sport of the wealthy suburbs. It's a new sport in Texas and the small towns have never had teams. Only the wealthy suburbs of the big cities do. It's very strange compared to where wrestling flourishes around the country. It's almost like the Lacrosse of the South down here. The Amarillo area has a long history of wrestling and fits the demo you find elsewhere, but the rest of the wrestling in the state sure doesn't.

I would bet that’s driven by transplants originally from the Northeast or Midwest. They may not have been from the cities or suburbs where they were from originally, but they tend to move to cities and suburbs of cities (in places like Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc.).

Haven’t read the article yet, seems interesting will check it out this week.

In New York, New Jersey, and PA, the cities aren't producing wrestlers.  Same for Iowa-ever since they got that pool table in River City, the kids just haven't been nearly as interested in wrestling.  

In New York, New Jersey, and PA, the cities aren't producing wrestlers. Same for Iowa-ever since they got that pool table in River City, the kids just haven't been nearly as interested in wrestling.

The original comment stated “wealthy suburbs of big cities,” not the actual cities. Like 2/3 of NJ is a suburb and 90% of Long Island is.

I would bet that’s driven by transplants originally from the Northeast or Midwest. They may not have been from the cities or suburbs where they were from originally, but they tend to move to cities and suburbs of cities (in places like Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc.).

Haven’t read the article yet, seems interesting will check it out this week.

Great point.  All of wrestling in Texas was originally driven by out of state transplants to big cities.  Then the in-state growth grew up alongside those transplants in the suburbs.  Makes sense why it's not the slightest bit rural in that light.

If you google their names and victory, it’s mainly Sad covering his face or looking at the flag or away from people. Snyder is flexing and looking into the stands.

Neither is wrong, but quite different.

The author compared Snyder to Icarus—you wouldn’t compare Sad to Icarus, as he never seemed to try to fly on wings of wax: create himself as an oversized larger than life Figure.

I’m not saying Snyder is seeking fame in a bad way, but his personality contrasted with Sad’s would show an Icarus like fall if he were to lose. Sad lost and it was compared to apostasy—a loss of faith. Snyder’s loss, if it had occurred, would have been a loss of ego.

I don’t mean ego negatively, but it would have been a loss of Snyder’s huge belief in himself. One that Snyder says is from God, but has signs of also being a more American cultural phenomena.

I linked a poem that is a based on a painting of Icarus, but the painting and the poem both marginalize Icarus’s fall. I think the article was also taking this perspective. Sad is the main figure of the story because he is the one that isn’t going to fall from great heights. Sad is the one who is going to fall from regular heights into despair. He is the tragic figure that more aligns with wrestling’s unconscious connection to the fallen as the article described. Snyder, if he had lost, is the Icarus—fallen after being up so high..

https://m.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/landscape-fall-icarus

This sport, perhaps more than any other, seems to focus more on the loss than the win.

It seems to really define the mindset that it’s only winning, or pain. 100% success, or complete failure.

The brutality associated with wrestling is in the mentality, not the physicality.

From what I've read about Sad and his interviews, I think he is more bothered by the questions not the loss itself.  I think Sad was unhappy with the loss but I don't think he is currently devastated or anything similar like sgallan and some others say. 

What I've read about Sad, the way he sees the loss is:  2017 was basically a off year for him, he moved up and lost a very close match in a weight class 11kg above. And this was not his only hard match, he almost loss to Baytsev 2 months earlier. Sad seems very confident that with the proper transition + his standard training, he'd beat Snyder.  I don't think Sad thinks Snyder is at his level when he is ready. This is why he refers to it as 'catastrophe', that he is losing to someone he should not, not that he is devastated. 

Of course, the expectations for Sad are much higher than for Snyder: Snyder loses occasionally here and there, and he gets scored on consistently. Snyder is not seen as invincible, but a great wrestler with great attitude who improves and competes a lot, and he is praised for that, rightfully so. But he does not have the 'unbeatable' aura around him. Sad is a different game.  Even when he loses a point it is seen as surprising and unexpected. People expect him to not lose.

Their 2nd match will be interesting. However, I believe Sad will beat Snyder and it will not be that close, around 6:1. I think people will be surprised how non-representative the first match was. Sad, when ready, is a different game. It will be very very hard for Snyder to score a point on him. Now of course if Snyder wins against a game Sad, it will really start establishing him as one of the goats. Its amazing really we have this rivalry, its been a while in wrestling.

I only hope Sad does not get more involved in politics, he recently was expressing opinions on various topics and some people don't like him for that. Main danger for Sad is not Snyder, its if he gets involved with side things again.

Edited by wfan24

From what I've read about Sad and his interviews, I think he is more bothered by the questions not the loss itself. I think Sad was unhappy with the loss but I don't think he is currently devastated or anything similar like sgallan and some others say.

What I've read about Sad, the way he sees the loss is: 2017 was basically a off year for him, he moved up and lost a very close match in a weight class 11kg above. And this was not his only hard match, he almost loss to Baytsev 2 months earlier. Sad seems very confident that with the proper transition + his standard training, he'd beat Snyder. I don't think Sad thinks Snyder is at his level when he is ready. This is why he refers to it as 'catastrophe', that he is losing to someone he should not, not that he is devastated.

Of course, the expectations for Sad are much higher than for Snyder: Snyder loses occasionally here and there, and he gets scored on consistently. Snyder is not seen as invincible, but a great wrestler with great attitude who improves and competes a lot, and he is praised for that, rightfully so. But he does not have the 'unbeatable' aura around him. Sad is a different game. Even when he loses a point it is seen as surprising and unexpected. People expect him to not lose.

Their 2nd match will be interesting. However, I believe Sad will beat Snyder and it will not be that close, around 6:1. I think people will be surprised how non-representative the first match was. Sad, when ready, is a different game. It will be very very hard for Snyder to score a point on him. Now of course if Snyder wins against a game Sad, it will really start establishing him as one of the goats. Its amazing really we have this rivalry, its been a while in wrestling.

I only hope Sad does not get more involved in politics, he recently was expressing opinions on various topics and some people don't like him for that. Main danger for Sad is not Snyder, its if he gets involved with side things again.

I’m curious where you’re from.

Snyder gave up a quick, sloppy TD due to being way to overhyped initially.

After that it was all Snyder.

Snyder wins the next one, comfortably, and the initial match supports my position far more than it does your position.

To suggest Snyder mya not score, wow. Your bias is incredible.