16 replies to this topic

#1 irani

irani

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:07 AM

https://www.voanews....ns/4424840.html

Nike has announced its decision not to sell Nike Shoes to the Iranian soccer team a few days before the soccer world cup is about to start.  They cite the US sanctions against Iran as the reason.

I am bit a puzzled, since the US government always claimed the sanctions are supposed to impact the government, and not the people of Iran.  I cannot think of a better way to impact the people of Iran by telling them their beloved soccer team is now targeted.  

Based on this, I am not hopefully that US will grant visas to Iranian wrestlers and vice versa, as long as Trump is in office.

To me, this means the world cup, and all other UWW sanctioned events will be hosted somewhere other than Iran or US for the next few years.

#2 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:51 AM

I think after the debacle for the most recent world cup, the U.S. wasn't going to get any more international events for the foreseeable future. Quite a shame.   In terms of the sanctions, companies like Nike have to choose between the U.S. and Iranian markets, and the U.S. will always win that fight. 

#3 irani

irani

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

I think after the debacle for the most recent world cup, the U.S. wasn't going to get any more international events for the foreseeable future. Quite a shame.   In terms of the sanctions, companies like Nike have to choose between the U.S. and Iranian markets, and the U.S. will always win that fight. 

I agree with everything you said.  I am not sure Nike even had the choice of not boycotting Iran.

At the end, the fans lose.

The Iran coach, who is Portuguese, has asked FIFA to intervene.  If FIFA decides to get involved, it will be an interesting reality show to watch.

Then again, the last two years have been the most interesting reality show I have ever watched.

#4 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:47 PM

I find it hard to believe that Nike, or any shoe company, would be SELLING shoes to world cup team.  I would think that shoe companies would GIVE shoes to qualifying teams to get the endorsement on a world stage.

#5 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:59 PM

so the money we gave iran wasn't given to the people?

#6 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

so the money we gave iran wasn't given to the people?

Edit: this is a wrestling forum.

Edited by wrestlingphish, 09 June 2018 - 01:42 AM.

#7 NJWC

NJWC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:13 AM

We didn’t give any money to Iran.

Semantics.

https://www.google.c...port/index.html

What would you call the pallets of American dollars flown into Iran in the middle of the night? We unfroze assets and sent it to them.

#8 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:23 AM

Edit: this is a wrestling forum.

Edited by wrestlingphish, 09 June 2018 - 01:41 AM.

#9 NJWC

NJWC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:25 AM

I’d call it returning property.

And attempting to secretly circumvent sanctions that prohibited their access to our banking system?

That money was seized, confiscated. Granting access to allow for their conversion of assets to US dollars is disgraceful.

#10 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:41 AM

I’m not going to do politics on a wrestling board. Shouldn’t have even posted. Have a nice day.
  • Coach_J likes this

#11 NJWC

NJWC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:58 AM

I’m not going to do politics on a wrestling board. Shouldn’t have even posted. Have a nice day.

Agreed. You do the same.
  • John Coctostan likes this

#12 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:59 AM

perhaps you should have posted that to the original poster? 

#13 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,913 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:05 AM

Semantics.

https://www.google.c...port/index.html

What would you call the pallets of American dollars flown into Iran in the middle of the night? We unfroze assets and sent it to them.

We hate them, they hate us, everything is partisan, humans exist to hate one another..... etc,etc.... it defines us as a doe is, we are savage AF and at some point will exterminate ourselves. Good riddance, Planet won't care.

#14 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:11 AM

so wait, you are saying, that we should let them sponsor terrorism throughout the world?

#15 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,913 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:29 AM

so wait, you are saying, that we should let them sponsor terrorism throughout the world?

I have no craps to give. We are also a savage AF nation and this is there way to fight back. And why? Because we hate them and they hate us right back.

#16 irani

irani

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:47 AM

I have no craps to give. We are also a savage AF nation and this is there way to fight back. And why? Because we hate them and they hate us right back.

Fortunately, the world is not as simple as you state.  There are some Iranians who hate Americans.  There are some Americans who hate Iranians.  Fortunately, in both countries, they are just very loud minorities.

Given that this is a wrestling forum, I will stop here.

I do look forward to the day that athletes from both countries can compete and fans of both countries can cheer their athletes while respecting their competitors.

• tbert, Housebuye and herma48852 like this

#17 Willis

Willis
  • Administrators
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:52 AM

Thanks for not blowing this one up guys. I think this is a good place to lock it.
  • spladle08 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users