I don't think it's silly to dislike Gilman-it's the normal reaction.  He literally said he doesn't want people rooting for him who didn't root for him when he was wrestling for Iowa.  He also has made an ass out of himself on multiple occasions.  I root for him against the rest of the world, but can't wait until Fix or Lee take his spot. 

some posters make "asses" of themselves on this site daily

You're right there were no mismatches last night. Care to recap the third round results for me?

didn't need them... had no bearing on the quality of wrestling... 

for sure, stick to basketball

You're right there were no mismatches last night. Care to recap the third round results for me?

Wonderful, in depth insight you have, while asking for more insight. Get a clue.

“Our returning medalists finished guys solely focused on unseating them in two matches. It sucked”

So after watching Gilman's post match interview, he talks about some life changing event, and humbling himself, but what caught my attention was that he mentions training with Spencer Lee, and made it sound ( at least it sounded that way to me ), that working out with Spencer Lee was also a humbling event. So this makes me wonder.

The dude was turning into a maniac with all the street fighting references at his senior NCAAs and the Fight Night sh t show.

I am not sure if he is better now, but I don’t think he would seemingly try to fight an opposing team like was the norm his senior year of college.

He does seem more humble now, but that was a high bar to jump under.

you are talking about folk wrestlers wrestling the real style... they are at a disadvantage

wait, other than IMar, who has wrestled Folk in the last 2 or 3 years? 

snyder, doesn't count.

Hush Trollee Mctrollerton, you damn-well understood the hype. Junior Champ teched his way through, loses first match to the Bronze medalist at U23's and doesnt get a repechage so yeah he "didnt win a match"... freshman in college, teching everyone domestically not named Ramos, got beat on criteria, evolved, came back stronger, and is the clear cut #2 in the USA in his first Senior level outting........, hype justified. 

Gilman's good, and I think he can medal again given the right draw,  Fix didn't really have a chance to win, and was just out-wrestled.... didn't understand the hype though, im not buying it  

Trollee Mctrollerton?

When I say "didn't understand the hype" I'm specifically talking about Fix's potential this year to be our world team rep. Nothing more. 

He's a fantastic talent, I just thought there's nothing he's shown so far that would leave me to believe he beats Gilman.

I was at Final X.

Thought it was great.

stands were about half full.

was disappointed in the green/chambo matches... but there were many things at play there...

the thing that got me was: there was no tourney to watch the wrestlers and become their fan. It was like having the super bowl w/o playoffs. it was just weird. 

to me, a tourney allows a wrestler to build up steam, etc... momentum. and people see this  and get hyped. the crowd would respond.

there were no HUGE moves.(which is probably normal when you have the two best) the crowd reacted to two wrestlers well that weren't JB or JG(though they didn't react to JG verywell, based on his lack of performance). one was when winchester took down leathers for the first time, and the second was when gadsen took snyder off the stage.

I like the format. I think they are trying and I appreciate that. But this might be the result. boring.  Yes, the person who has to scratch and claw thru the challenge tourney, gets a break. but the champ gets a month to prepare for them and them only.

Yes, the person who has to scratch and claw thru the challenge tourney, gets a break. but the champ gets a month to prepare for them and them only.

How has the proportion of preparation time changed compared to sitting in the best-of-three the evening after the challenge tourney? 

The winner of the challenge tourney still has the same amount of time to prepare for the Final X matches as the champ does, right? 

I just think the delay is much more fair and offers a better fan experience. I certainly respect that your perspective as a fan who actually attended the event is different from mine sitting at my computer.  

On the point of building fandom, we still have the US Open and WTT tournaments. I enjoyed becoming a Fix fan for the last several weeks. Again, I suspect that the internet fan has a different experience than the one who shows up! 

I was at Final X.

Thought it was great.

stands were about half full.

was disappointed in the green/chambo matches... but there were many things at play there...

the thing that got me was: there was no tourney to watch the wrestlers and become their fan. It was like having the super bowl w/o playoffs. it was just weird.

to me, a tourney allows a wrestler to build up steam, etc... momentum. and people see this and get hyped. the crowd would respond.

there were no HUGE moves.(which is probably normal when you have the two best) the crowd reacted to two wrestlers well that weren't JB or JG(though they didn't react to JG verywell, based on his lack of performance). one was when winchester took down leathers for the first time, and the second was when gadsen took snyder off the stage.

I like the format. I think they are trying and I appreciate that. But this might be the result. boring. Yes, the person who has to scratch and claw thru the challenge tourney, gets a break. but the champ gets a month to prepare for them and them only.

The playoffs that you speak of are the US Open and the WTT Challenge tournament. Other than that I generally agree with you. Edited by BigTenFanboy

I too like the new format and was impressed by the production in Lincoln. Top notch. Nebraska put on a very good show.

The wrestling was a 7 out of 10, solid but not great. The best matches were the women’s and Gilman vs Fix (at least to me, despite the low scores). I think this was a function of no big stories more than the wrestling itself, to be honest. JB and Snyder did not disappoint but who did they really beat to make their effort notable? The biggest story was Gilmanvs Fix, and I actually appreciated those matches and was in the edge of my seat. Iowa just knows how to coach lightweights and Fix is such a stud to be so advanced as just a redshirt freshman. Both were very impressive.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

How has the proportion of preparation time changed compared to sitting in the best-of-three the evening after the challenge tourney? 

The winner of the challenge tourney still has the same amount of time to prepare for the Final X matches as the champ does, right? 

I just think the delay is much more fair and offers a better fan experience. I certainly respect that your perspective as a fan who actually attended the event is different from mine sitting at my computer.  

On the point of building fandom, we still have the US Open and WTT tournaments. I enjoyed becoming a Fix fan for the last several weeks. Again, I suspect that the internet fan has a different experience than the one who shows up! 

proportion? not sure... but the champ can't focus on just one guy... who knows who will win the challenge tourney?

i think you have an idea, but with the current split format he KNOWS.

I like what they did. I think they are trying to make it special and reach out to more fans... and i like it. If the whole shebang had been in wisconsin, i may not have been able to go.

I planned to go to both... wis and lincoln, but something came up and icouldn't go to wisky.

I know I wouldn't make it to penn for either of the others.

columbus would have been a stretch as well.\

and im pretty sure there are many others in the same boat i am... able to go to a local or regional, but long travel, probably not.

Green wins a snoozefest, 2-0.  No offensive points.  One shot between the two by Chamberlain as time ran out.  God awful.

Seeing as they were work out partners for 2 years, yes not much going to happen. James apologized  for the snoozer though

Lol I was poking back :) I expect big things from TG... and Fix.... I think we are going to be good at the lightweights for the next 2 cycles . #cheers

Trollee Mctrollerton?

When I say "didn't understand the hype" I'm specifically talking about Fix's potential this year to be our world team rep. Nothing more.

He's a fantastic talent, I just thought there's nothing he's shown so far that would leave me to believe he beats Gilman.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk