GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:39 AM

I was at Final X.

Thought it was great.

stands were about half full.

was disappointed in the green/chambo matches... but there were many things at play there...

the thing that got me was: there was no tourney to watch the wrestlers and become their fan. It was like having the super bowl w/o playoffs. it was just weird. 

to me, a tourney allows a wrestler to build up steam, etc... momentum. and people see this  and get hyped. the crowd would respond.

there were no HUGE moves.(which is probably normal when you have the two best) the crowd reacted to two wrestlers well that weren't JB or JG(though they didn't react to JG verywell, based on his lack of performance). one was when winchester took down leathers for the first time, and the second was when gadsen took snyder off the stage.

I like the format. I think they are trying and I appreciate that. But this might be the result. boring.  Yes, the person who has to scratch and claw thru the challenge tourney, gets a break. but the champ gets a month to prepare for them and them only.

#262 denger

denger

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:18 PM

Yes, the person who has to scratch and claw thru the challenge tourney, gets a break. but the champ gets a month to prepare for them and them only.

How has the proportion of preparation time changed compared to sitting in the best-of-three the evening after the challenge tourney? 

The winner of the challenge tourney still has the same amount of time to prepare for the Final X matches as the champ does, right? 

I just think the delay is much more fair and offers a better fan experience. I certainly respect that your perspective as a fan who actually attended the event is different from mine sitting at my computer.  

On the point of building fandom, we still have the US Open and WTT tournaments. I enjoyed becoming a Fix fan for the last several weeks. Again, I suspect that the internet fan has a different experience than the one who shows up! 

#263 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:28 PM

I was at Final X.
Thought it was great.
stands were about half full.
was disappointed in the green/chambo matches... but there were many things at play there...

the thing that got me was: there was no tourney to watch the wrestlers and become their fan. It was like having the super bowl w/o playoffs. it was just weird.
to me, a tourney allows a wrestler to build up steam, etc... momentum. and people see this and get hyped. the crowd would respond.
there were no HUGE moves.(which is probably normal when you have the two best) the crowd reacted to two wrestlers well that weren't JB or JG(though they didn't react to JG verywell, based on his lack of performance). one was when winchester took down leathers for the first time, and the second was when gadsen took snyder off the stage.

I like the format. I think they are trying and I appreciate that. But this might be the result. boring. Yes, the person who has to scratch and claw thru the challenge tourney, gets a break. but the champ gets a month to prepare for them and them only.

The playoffs that you speak of are the US Open and the WTT Challenge tournament. Other than that I generally agree with you.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 10 June 2018 - 01:28 PM.

#264 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,728 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:53 PM

I too like the new format and was impressed by the production in Lincoln. Top notch. Nebraska put on a very good show.

The wrestling was a 7 out of 10, solid but not great. The best matches were the women’s and Gilman vs Fix (at least to me, despite the low scores). I think this was a function of no big stories more than the wrestling itself, to be honest. JB and Snyder did not disappoint but who did they really beat to make their effort notable? The biggest story was Gilmanvs Fix, and I actually appreciated those matches and was in the edge of my seat. Iowa just knows how to coach lightweights and Fix is such a stud to be so advanced as just a redshirt freshman. Both were very impressive.

Edited by wrestlingnerd, 10 June 2018 - 01:55 PM.

#265 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:16 PM

How has the proportion of preparation time changed compared to sitting in the best-of-three the evening after the challenge tourney? 

The winner of the challenge tourney still has the same amount of time to prepare for the Final X matches as the champ does, right? 

I just think the delay is much more fair and offers a better fan experience. I certainly respect that your perspective as a fan who actually attended the event is different from mine sitting at my computer.  

On the point of building fandom, we still have the US Open and WTT tournaments. I enjoyed becoming a Fix fan for the last several weeks. Again, I suspect that the internet fan has a different experience than the one who shows up! 

proportion? not sure... but the champ can't focus on just one guy... who knows who will win the challenge tourney?

i think you have an idea, but with the current split format he KNOWS.

I like what they did. I think they are trying to make it special and reach out to more fans... and i like it. If the whole shebang had been in wisconsin, i may not have been able to go.

I planned to go to both... wis and lincoln, but something came up and icouldn't go to wisky.

I know I wouldn't make it to penn for either of the others.

columbus would have been a stretch as well.\

and im pretty sure there are many others in the same boat i am... able to go to a local or regional, but long travel, probably not.

#266 silver

silver

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:32 AM

Green wins a snoozefest, 2-0.  No offensive points.  One shot between the two by Chamberlain as time ran out.  God awful.

Seeing as they were work out partners for 2 years, yes not much going to happen. James apologized  for the snoozer though

#267 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:53 AM

does anyone think Green v Chambo would have been any different if they wrestled folkstyle? lol 

#268 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:55 AM

the only difference is it would have been even more unbearable to watch...

#269 jcjcjc

jcjcjc

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:07 PM

does anyone think Green v Chambo would have been any different if they wrestled folkstyle? lol 

The short sits would have carried the day!

#270 spladle08

spladle08

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:43 AM

Lol I was poking back :) I expect big things from TG... and Fix.... I think we are going to be good at the lightweights for the next 2 cycles . #cheers

Trollee Mctrollerton?

When I say "didn't understand the hype" I'm specifically talking about Fix's potential this year to be our world team rep. Nothing more.

He's a fantastic talent, I just thought there's nothing he's shown so far that would leave me to believe he beats Gilman.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users