15 replies to this topic

#1 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

Interesting differing coaching perspectives from the Perry brothers

Gilman prepared specifically for Fix, where as Fix went with his usual preparations.

https://www.flowrest...212820&limit=60

https://www.flowrest...212779&limit=60

#2 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:16 PM

C. Perry probably felt fix would be able to create his own offense at some point.
"To use the word domination for me, we do preach that to our guys. We talk about building leads and scoring points, but when I'm talking to an audience it's almost hypacritcal in my mind. We got work to do before we get to the domination." -Tom Brands

#3 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:22 PM

Iowa has a better coaching staff than OSU.

#4 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:43 PM

tbar, you have be an idiot to take your insights from Flo hype videos

#5 Alwayswrestling

Alwayswrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,980 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:48 PM

Right now Gilman is just better than Fix.

#6 Show_Me

Show_Me

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:52 PM

Can we just celebrate & support the wrestlers that make the Team ?

#7 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:44 PM

Fix wrestles best when his opponent has a high attack rate. All of his high percentage offense relies on the guy pressuring into him: the inside trip, the slide by/shuck, and the slick Oklahoma State duck/boot scoot series he does so well. He also has exceptional scrambling. Guys like Gilman who are positionally very strong, hand fight as well or better, and have a very strong attack to his lead leg (Gilman is a lefty whose best shot is the single to Fix’s lead leg) are the worst matchups for Fix. As I said after Fix beat Ramos, Gilman is a much better hand fighter than Tony and rarely gets out of position. He is a different test from Ramos. Fix may be the next big thing, but he is going to have continued trouble wrestling Gilman.

As Fix becomes more prominent and more scouted, he needs to develop a go-to attack from space that works well against elite competition. Until then he is not ready for the worlds. Pyles was calling Fix's exact attacks right before Fix hit them. He is fairly predictable if you watch him a lot.

Edited by wrestlingnerd, 09 June 2018 - 04:51 PM.

• de4856 likes this

#8 bp2xbw

bp2xbw
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:54 AM

Is Fix fast enough to attack from space and beat reaction time? Ala JB John Smith.  Gilman is from the Brands Camp of handfighting, head banging tie up to a take down

Fix wrestles best when his opponent has a high attack rate. All of his high percentage offense relies on the guy pressuring into him: the inside trip, the slide by/shuck, and the slick Oklahoma State duck/boot scoot series he does so well. He also has exceptional scrambling. Guys like Gilman who are positionally very strong, hand fight as well or better, and have a very strong attack to his lead leg (Gilman is a lefty whose best shot is the single to Fix’s lead leg) are the worst matchups for Fix. As I said after Fix beat Ramos, Gilman is a much better hand fighter than Tony and rarely gets out of position. He is a different test from Ramos. Fix may be the next big thing, but he is going to have continued trouble wrestling Gilman.

As Fix becomes more prominent and more scouted, he needs to develop a go-to attack from space that works well against elite competition. Until then he is not ready for the worlds. Pyles was calling Fix's exact attacks right before Fix hit them. He is fairly predictable if you watch him a lot.

Yup, it looks like Fix was out coached, Kudos to Iowa. Is Fix quick enough to attack from space? john Smith is the master at it, and JB.

#9 jcjcjc

jcjcjc

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:14 AM

I feel like Chris was more in coach-speak and Mark was brashly honest like always, but it would interesting to know how much truth there was to Chris’s comments.

Neither wrestler really deviated from their main styles. Fix’s style is perfect for having a lead in freestyle, but if he doesn’t have a lead he doesn’t score as WRESTLINGNERD said.

Watching yesterday, it seemed like Fix needed to take some haf Singles and move into an underhook—easier said than done.
Tactically, it seemed like the underhook for either guy would be the main reason for victory.

#10 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:21 AM

Is Fix fast enough to attack from space and beat reaction time? Ala JB John Smith.  Gilman is from the Brands Camp of handfighting, head banging tie up to a take down

FIx is plenty fast enough. I have had to rewind his matches countless times over the years. The issue is not his speed. It's the way he sets up his offense. He relies on pressure from the opponent and his great scrambling to convert attacks from space. The problem is when a guy like Gilman comes along, who never gives an inch in position and has an outstanding basic shot like Gilman's single that he can get on anyone in the world (converting on anyone is another matter....). You aren't going to get more than one or maybe two clean TD opportunities on Gilman per match from mistakes he makes, so then you're relying on forcing a mistake against a very strong and (for his weight) big guy whose main strength is keeping position. Not easy. Gilman's "Jap" nemesis is a master of shifty movements and can get Gilman out of position without even touching him.

#11 rpm002

rpm002

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

To me, both Gilman/Fix matches looked a lot like Gilman/Graff last year:  

The opponent who works well from space and is used to putting up a lot of points just couldn't get Gilman out of position.  Gilman stuffed shots and used his strength to hold his opponent in close for long stretches of time and picked his spots to get what he needed to win.

Edited by rpm002, 11 June 2018 - 09:52 AM.

• herma48852 likes this

#12 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:07 AM

I agree that Fix seems to be at a slight stylistic disadvantage, explained well by wrestlingnerd, however I also doubt that he isn't able to adjust to not getting taken down with clean singles from tons of distance.  Doesn't seem like he is ever going to be eating up Gilman's legs, but he can work his snaps better and push harder for the first score so Gilman has to come in more later. 

#13 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,915 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:26 PM

Right now Gilman is the better wrestler. Duh, he won. Tactical errors or not I still think Gilman wins. People who can get Fix out of his motion direction change style, and turn it into a heavy hands match, have the advantage. The thing that gets me is Smith was the style Fix is perfect for, yet Smith for some reason doesn't translate that style well. The Brands and light weights however, they adapt a lot. Cejudo, while his basic style was Belaglosov, Terry went with that technique, and insert the pressure/patience strategy. 

#14 bp2xbw

bp2xbw
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:38 PM

Right now Gilman is the better wrestler. Duh, he won. Tactical errors or not I still think Gilman wins. People who can get Fix out of his motion direction change style, and turn it into a heavy hands match, have the advantage. The thing that gets me is Smith was the style Fix is perfect for, yet Smith for some reason doesn't translate that style well. The Brands and light weights however, they adapt a lot. Cejudo, while his basic style was Belaglosov, Terry went with that technique, and insert the pressure/patience strategy. 

Agreed. The Gilman/Graff match above shows Gilman is susceptible to a low single attack especially since he has a lead left leg. John Smith would have been all over that when he wrestled. That said, it seems pretty hard to duplicate. Smith was extremely fast and flexible and once he got in on a leg he was tenacious until he converted. 

• rpm002 likes this

#15 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:38 PM

Fix's style is way more dependent on hand fighting than smiths. He shows a lot of technique but his hands are very heavy. I think the biggest flaw in his style is that he just isn't oriented enough towards leg attacks. 

Edited by hammerlockthree, 11 June 2018 - 01:41 PM.

#16 rpm002

rpm002

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:52 PM

Agreed. The Gilman/Graff match above shows Gilman is susceptible to a low single attack especially since he has a lead left leg. John Smith would have been all over that when he wrestled. That said, it seems pretty hard to duplicate. Smith was extremely fast and flexible and once he got in on a leg he was tenacious until he converted.

I think this is part of the reason why Megaludis had some success against Gilman? (not at WTT last year but prior to that)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users