• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Peso

Peso

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:14 PM

Jordan Burroughs is one of my favorite people on the planet.  Obviously a savant in the science and art of wrestling, but so much more.  I find him to be an intelligent and thoughtful speaker, that I believe should be recruited by the UFC to bring his charisma to the broadcasts.  As a man, he has been the perfect representative of USA Wrestling.  If he wins one more Gold Medal, he simply has to be in the discussion of the greatest USA Freestyler of all time.  Any serious discussion has him along with John Smith and Bruce Baumgartner.  If he gets his 6th title, it appears he won't get to enjoy his status for long.  Here comes this young phenom named Kyle Snyder, and wammo, he's on pace to make it a 4th in that discussion almost immediately.  I believe we are piecing together the greatest freestyle run ever at the senior world level.  If a Lee or Nix or Taylor or Steveson, whomever, joins that very elite fraternity, we will be in rare air for what we've been able to witness here in the good ole US of A.  I'd be ok with it if we snapped off about 3 titles out of 5 years...and man do we have the nucleus to do it.  If only the UWW weights were the same in the Olympics.  Now that would be good for the sport.

• GockeS likes this

#2 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:45 PM

I agree about Jordan Burroughs, I think he is our greatest Senior level wrestler, ( who is still currently wrestling ). I also agree that he is well spoken and very articulate. Sometimes, I wonder what Jordan will do after his competitive wrestling career is over, and I have to believe that he will have many options to choose from.

As for Kyle, I am always hopeful each and every time he steps on the mat. I am also hoping that he continues to have success, through out his career. One day, I would like to say that he was the greatest there ever was.

As for USA Wrestling, I am really encouraged by what has been occurring these last few years. I think that the brain trust and coaching staff at the National level as well as the individual wrestler's personal coach, has raised the bar for our various programs as well as the individual's level of performance.
And after following international wrestling since the 70's it makes me feel great to see that our guys and gals are doing very well internationally, and I hope this trend continues.
  • Peso likes this

#3 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:59 PM

Part of what makes JB so amazing for the sport is the moment in which he came onto the scene.  USAW was probably at its low point after the last two olympic champions each stepped away immediately after winning their titles.  Cael and Cejudo both had many world/olympic medals in front of them, but instead chose different career path.  Sure, those decisions may have ended up being the right one for them individually, but it was not sustainable for USAW to have their stars step away immediately after winning the olympics. 

Then JB comes along. Not only was he better than both Cejudo and Cael, but thanks to Living the Dream he is able to stick around and continue competing.  Moreover, he arrived right when social media was taking off.  He immediately recognized the importance of social media/branding/etc, and turned himself into a highly marketable athlete (despite being from a traditionally unmarketable sport).  JB created the blueprint for how elite American wrestlers can keep comping and train professionally.  

As for Snyder..I think he will go down as the greatest American wrestler ever.  

• Peso likes this

#4 Peso

Peso

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:13 AM

He's something special, that's for sure.  I hope he can maintain his dominance, but he's shown many times already what a special athlete he is.  When all the chips are on the table, I'd never bet against him.

#5 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:36 AM

Living the dream is the only reason he is there. Varner and Burroughs were the first Olympic champs to receive 1/4 of a million! Now if you can just win the Olympics you can compete until your 35-Varner's age in 2020. Who started living the dream??? Amazing thing!

#6 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:54 AM

Living the dream is the only reason he is there. Varner and Burroughs were the first Olympic champs to receive 1/4 of a million! Now if you can just win the Olympics you can compete until your 35-Varner's age in 2020. Who started living the dream??? Amazing thing!

Don't forget a non-Olympic world gold also nets you $50k (Silver $25k, Bronze $15k).  In addition, RTC's today are better funded than at any time over the past 20 years.  

• PRyan2012 likes this

#7 mattchristensen112

mattchristensen112

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:16 AM

And MAJOR props to those who are developing our youth. We now seem to have the programs to be in contention on every level. LOVE IT!

#8 BobDole

BobDole

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:41 AM

I was really hoping this was a thread on Jason Bryant and Kyle Bratke.

• JasonBryant, bwh27, steamboat_charlie and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users