Sign in to follow this  
GockeS

Cejudo

is he a good fighter?

I see he is in a big fight this weekend...

I haven't really heard his name in mma before...though I dont really follow it.

was just surprised to see him in a championship bout... is it a championship bout?

is he a good fighter?

I see he is in a big fight this weekend...

I haven't really heard his name in mma before...though I dont really follow it.

was just surprised to see him in a championship bout... is it a championship bout?

Cejudo is very good.  He'll fight Demetrious Johnson at the beginning of August for the title (his second attempt).  DJ is an all-time great and considered by many as #1 P4P.  

Since their last fight, where DJ smoked Cejudo, Cejudo has changed his stand up game to more of a Karate style, which is working well because that style is very effective, but leaves you vulnerable to takedowns... but who's going to go out there with a game plan to take down the Olympic champ?  

Cejudo is a bit of a meme in the online MMA community because of how excessively he was initially marketed as an Olympic champ.  Any time he's mentioned the joke is to say "did that guy win a gold medal" or "I heard that guy one some sort of regional amateur wrestling competition."  Recently people have started calling him the Karate Hottie, which I enjoy.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie

He already had a title fight in 2016 with DJ, so it was even faster than you may think!

The first fight I felt was way to early in Cejudo’s UFC development for him to even have a legit shot at winning against Mighty Mouse. The UFC was running out of contenders to throw at DJ and a an Olympic Gold Medalist who was undefeated in MMA was a fight worth promoting. Cejudo looked OK at first but his stand up was pretty suspect and he got caught Sheba couple really good knees to the body that put him down. This time around I feel the fight could be closer if Cejudo can stick to a solid game plan. I’d still give the edge to Johnson, if he hasn’t gotten complacent with his training regiment at this point, but Cejudo could definitely put him in danger a couple time in this one. Edited by MadMardigain