Whittaker vs Romero 2

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Workers` Wrestling

Workers` Wrestling
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:34 AM

How did Whittaker win the fight after getting knocked down 3 times by Romero in the process? Romero`s got best punching skills I`ve seen in an olympic/world medalist wrestler participating in MMA.

#2 Erminio8

Erminio8

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:36 AM

Because Romero missed weight and couldn't get the belt, so the UFC wasn't going to let him win a decision and have the belt stay with Whittaker after a loss.

Edited by Erminio8, 21 June 2018 - 02:37 AM.

#3 Workers` Wrestling

Workers` Wrestling
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:01 AM

Then it should have been a draw. Romero deserved that much. Let Whittaker keep the belt, but reward Romero`s performance. The other option was not to allow Romero to compete in the first place. 

• Alwayswrestling likes this

#4 Erminio8

Erminio8

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:40 AM

I love the UFC but it has definitely shifted to a company trying to make the most money compared to a sport trying to decide who's the best/most deserving fighter. The fight should have been cancelled. If you miss weight you should not be allowed to fight. But the UFC would lose too much money to let that happen. Which is how you end up with controversies like this.

• Alwayswrestling likes this

#5 Workers` Wrestling

Workers` Wrestling
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:18 AM

Why am I even surprised...?

#6 WreslingSuperior

WreslingSuperior

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:48 AM

UFC is not a sport tournament. It is a show. Romero won the fight.

#7 Workers` Wrestling

Workers` Wrestling
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:23 AM

I second that...

#8 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 06:31 AM

I will say firstly that I saw this fight and thought Romero won. However I think talk of UFC fixing the fight for Whittaker or corruption is silly. Romero is an incredible fighter, his defence and striking depth is far greater than other wrestlers you see in MMA (Cormier, Weidman, etc). However he fights a style that is completely focused on winning fights through securing the finish. He spends minutes and even rounds of the fight doing nothing aside from defending and waiting for his moment. You will drop decisions if you fight this way as while you are waiting your opponent is winning the round, even if he is not doing much damage. In this fight Romero came up against a guy who is just ridiculously hard to finish, which left him vulnerable to losing the decision. Let's remember Romero himself was the beneficiary of a controversial decision over Jacare a few fights ago and the UFC did not even have to give him this fight considering he also missed weight for his previous fight. Hardly the signs of a promotion trying to screw him over. 

Second, Whittaker is not a draw. He is a great fighter who I expect to run through everyone in the division not named Romero but in terms of promotion ability he is a nobody. He doesn't talk trash, he doesn't have a big personality and he doesn't sell a lot PPVs. He's just a boring guy who can fight. To think the UFC is going to the trouble of fight fixing for Robert Whittaker of all people is silly. The judges simply valued Whittaker's style of winning rounds over Romero's winning moments. 

I would have loved to see Romero win the fight and retire with the belt after a very long and accomplished athletic career, however he missed weight and so even if he did win it would not have made him champ. It will be interesting to see him at 205. Honeslty he has a very good chance at the belt up there. The horrific cut to 185 ( there is video of him not even being able to stand before the fight without help) could not have been good for his performance. I think see him with 205 with improved cardio, which is a scary thing to think about. 

Edited by Shiraz123, 28 June 2018 - 06:45 AM.

#9 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:42 AM

Gus vs Romero at 205 would be a good draw. Romero should fight maybe three more times at 205 and then retire. If he won at 205 could you imagine a Romero vs Cormier. Cormier wanted one/two more fights after Brock.

Edited by PRyan2012, 10 July 2018 - 06:44 AM.

#10 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:02 PM

Romero probably kills DC lets be honest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users