• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 mattchristensen112

mattchristensen112

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:44 AM

I think we can all agree that it is a SUPER exciting time to be a wrestling fan, especially in the USA. As I was thinking about this, I wondered how we, as fans, can do our part to keep up the momentum. I thought I would list a few ideas, and also see what input everyone else has. So let's get started.

*First, I know we all have different budgets, so please only do what is in your means.

- Embrace the "Pay for Content" model that Flo offers. This is not an new model everyone, in fact it has been around for a long time. It is awesome that for $150 a year we have access to tournaments almost weekly, documentaries, and other content. Please support your favorite wrestling sites, and if you enjoy their content, pay for it and support them. You have Flo, Intermat, TheOpenMat, Big Ten, ESPN, etc. Capitalism is a great thing, and byt paying for our favorite content, it forces the others sites to step up their game and provide a better product.

- Visit the websites that are free! Traffic is always a revenue driver on content websites. (UWW, teamusa.org, etc)

- Support your local teams at every level. Go to home dual meets for both college and high school programs. 

- Purchase merchandise from your favorite teams and wrestlers. I LOVED Jason Bryan't daily wrestling t-shirt challenge. It got me off my butt to start my own collection. 

- Donate when you can, even if it is a few bucks each year. Everything helps. 

- Follow your favorite teams, organizations, and wrestlers on social media, and interact with them.

- Share your favorite content on social media. 

- Educate yourself on the brands that support and sponsor wrestling, and buy from them (Rudis, Asics, Adidas, M2 wrestling)

- Keep posting feedback! UWW now has 10 weight classes in non-olympic years. Flo was instrumental in making sure the final best of three series for the world team was on a separate day so the wrestlers were on level playing ground. It is working.

Well, those are my ideas, anything else?

• Yellow_Medal and jcjcjc like this

#2 swoopdown

swoopdown

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:59 AM

Surprise people you meet by arm dragging them when shaking hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • steamboat_charlie and JBluegill133 like this

#3 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

Give to endowments of college programs.

It is much better to have 20,000 people each giving $1 to the program than having one person who gives $20,000 to the program.

Why?

Because schools know that they might be able to get some of those people to give $2 in the future while it might be hard to convince the one person to give more.

Additionally, a school is much more willing to upset one donor, even a big donor, than they are to upset many donors, even if they are small donors. This is because donors are some of the most important stakeholders for a school. Even small donors often carry more weight than prospective or even enrolled students.

You want more scholarships, more programs, so more guys can afford to continue to compete after college. You need to be giving to programs.
  • mattchristensen112 and Jaroslav Hasek like this
Twitter: @Pinnum

#4 tbert

tbert

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:33 AM

Move out of your mom's basement, get a job and throw at least $20 bucks at USAW.

Subscribe to Trackwrestling multi event packages. Give them feedback on improving product.

(I do realize 90% will not do either)

Quit using the VPN to thwart the UWW system.
  • mattchristensen112 likes this
MAGA!

#5 cjc007

cjc007

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

Move out of your mom's basement, get a job and throw at least $20 bucks at USAW.

Subscribe to Trackwrestling multi event packages. Give them feedback on improving product.

VPN for life!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • tbert likes this

#6 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:30 AM

Become a Hawkeye fan
  • russelscout likes this

#7 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,913 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:06 PM

I am on record as saying wrestling is its own worst enemy.

I am not a fan of wrestling fans and think most are kinda of dumb, and think others are religious fanatics (which explains the kinda dumb).

Yet i love the sport. Every, single, day. I study tape. I like history. I know a lot of Free. Folk. Some greco. And Sumo. FWIW, i think "pro wrestling fans" are drama queens who like soap opera for men.

I also enjoy conversations, as rare as it is, with people who actually know the nuances of the sport, with a knowledge background to argue there positions.  

So no matter how stupid the sport gets, no matter how fed up I get, no matter how many times i say i cannot handle the BS anymore, i like watching and following wrestling more than any other sport.

• cjc007 and jcjcjc like this

#8 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,913 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:13 PM

You have to offer a legitimate product to get people to buy it. It is 2018 and organizations that cannot provide a quality format do not get my money. If i could buy into Flo, or track, and know i get a seamless experience, I am in. But this has not been the case. i would rather give my scant funds to the trails i walk on. Local kids. And so on. None of what I give i can afford but at least where I do give goes directly to something good.

BTW, the move out of the basement thing....... great PR, fits my narrative that wrestling's worst enemy is its adherents. You are exhibit A. Your mom must be really proud she raised a troll. #parentingdonewrong. 

Edited by sgallan, 11 June 2018 - 01:15 PM.

#9 swoopdown

swoopdown

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:25 PM

Bring former high school or college wrestlers to a freestyle match. Lots of folk wrestlers never develop an appetite for freestyle. Lots just quit the sport after their competition days are over.

#10 swoopdown

swoopdown

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:27 PM

Start a wrestling fantasy league -

#11 tbert

tbert

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:41 PM

You have to offer a legitimate product to get people to buy it. It is 2018 and organizations that cannot provide a quality format do not get my money. If i could buy into Flo, or track, and know i get a seamless experience, I am in. But this has not been the case. i would rather give my scant funds to the trails i walk on. Local kids. And so on. None of what I give i can afford but at least where I do give goes directly to something good.

BTW, the move out of the basement thing....... great PR, fits my narrative that wrestling's worst enemy is its adherents. You are exhibit A. Your mom must be really proud she raised a troll. #parentingdonewrong.

I guess you fit into the unmotivated 90% who won't do either.

??..troll...now you hurt my feelings
MAGA!

#12 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:47 PM

**** track
  • tbert likes this

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#13 spladle

spladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:59 PM

Scott is far more motivated than most. He has poured his heart and soul into wrestling. Question his attitude on life and general disposition, but I would never question his dedication to wrestling.
  • jcjcjc likes this

#14 KCMO2

KCMO2

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

I am not a fan of wrestling fans and think most are kinda of dumb, and think others are religious fanatics (which explains the kinda dumb).

Haha, nice.  You just described another particular demographic as well.

#15 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

Start following and discussing the lesser known teams in addition to your favorite superteams. Recognize their successes and achievements which are relative to them instead of bashing on them since they will "never" be a Penn State or an Iowa.

If a school finally gets an AA after several years of drought or a team who typically is the bottom of the barrel scores a winning season or close to it, recognize the improvement and celebrate it.

Pay attention to and discuss teams like Fresno State who just reinstated their program.

Pay attention to and discuss the successes that Presbtarian College accomplishes next season.

Actively try to get EMU reinstated and if it does actively discuss its team's successes.

If Sacred Heart gets a National Qualifier make mention of it.

Look into and discuss D2 and D3 results. Not everyone is good enough to be a D1 level wrestler. That doesn't mean the existence of D2 and D3 wrestling isn't important. Discussing what happens at those levels is beneficial to the overall health and life of the sport.

While obviously these things are "nothing" compared to the big D1 power teams, those small successes are a big deal to those respective programs and will keep wrestling alive and continue to help it grow.

Be a fan of the sport as a whole. Support it at all levels from the very best World Team level members down to the youth PeeWee level and everything in between.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 11 June 2018 - 02:41 PM.

#16 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

2 questions.

what is vpn?

what's wrong with track wrestling?

I dont see Track and Flo as all that different.

both take money from wrestling, both promote wrestling. both show wrestling as PPV.

does either GIVE back to wrestling?

#17 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:44 PM

2 questions.

what is vpn?

what's wrong with track wrestling?

I dont see Track and Flo as all that different.
both take money from wrestling, both promote wrestling. both show wrestling as PPV.
does either GIVE back to wrestling?

VPN stands for Virtual Private Network.
Whenever you are connected to the internet your device has an IP Adress which basically says where you are physically located. With a VPN you can virtually cloak your ip address and make it say you are located somewhere else, ie in another country. Using a VPN will allow you to view websites that are blocked from specific geographic locations.

Both flo and track give back to wrestling by providing fans with a platform to view and read about wrestling, which in turn helps grow the sport.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 11 June 2018 - 02:45 PM.

#18 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:48 PM

thanks!

so by using a VPN people can watch ... european championships? and subvert UWW?

either way

i think a subscription to WIN magazine is better, b/c they pay athletes to write columns.

Edited by GockeS, 11 June 2018 - 02:49 PM.

#19 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:59 PM

thanks!
so by using a VPN people can watch ... european championships? and subvert UWW?

either way
i think a subscription to WIN magazine is better, b/c they pay athletes to write columns.

As long as the VPN you use allows you to set your ip location to a country where the European championships is visible. I recommend windscribe. It's free allowing you to mask up to 10gb of data a month.

Sure WIN is great by paying wrestlers, but there's more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 11 June 2018 - 03:01 PM.

#20 Show_Me

Show_Me

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:19 PM

Start following and discussing the lesser known teams in addition to your favorite superteams. Recognize their successes and achievements which are relative to them instead of bashing on them since they will "never" be a Penn State or an Iowa.

If a school finally gets an AA after several years of drought or a team who typically is the bottom of the barrel scores a winning season or close to it, recognize the improvement and celebrate it.

Pay attention to and discuss teams like Fresno State who just reinstated their program.

Pay attention to and discuss the successes that Presbtarian College accomplishes next season.

Actively try to get EMU reinstated and if it does actively discuss its team's successes.

If Sacred Heart gets a National Qualifier make mention of it.

Look into and discuss D2 and D3 results. Not everyone is good enough to be a D1 level wrestler. That doesn't mean the existence of D2 and D3 wrestling isn't important. Discussing what happens at those levels is beneficial to the overall health and life of the sport.

While obviously these things are "nothing" compared to the big D1 power teams, those small successes are a big deal to those respective programs and will keep wrestling alive and continue to help it grow.

Be a fan of the sport as a whole. Support it at all levels from the very best World Team level members down to the youth PeeWee level and everything in between.

Best & most meaningful post I have seen on here in many years. Wish there were more fans that thought about the "big picture" as you described.
  • jcjcjc likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users