Sign in to follow this  
mspart

Next Final X

The 86 kg Olympian will have likely beaten at least 1 world medalist for the spot. Possibly more

Cox (medalist)

Dake (possible medalist by then)

Zahid (possible medalist by then)

Taylor (possible medalist by then)

Ringer (unlikely medalist because unlikely to be in world team, but good enough to be medalist)

Hall (I’m assuming he tries to make the team at 79 next year? If he wins the spot he has a shot at a medal for sure)

This excludes guys like Heflin, Perry and Reader, all of whom have a shot at a world medal

It is absolutely crazy

That is crazy. Not a fan of having only 6 Olympic weight classes.

An increase of 1 weight class (to 7) would be a huge improvement as it would decrease some of these massive gaps between weights. Especially 143-163 & 163-190.

The issue that will keep IOC from adding one weight class to the program is that they can’t add just one. They would have to add three (one each for MFS, WFS, and GR). We could argued till we’re blue in the face that would

Be the right thing to do. But unfortunately I don’t see it happening.

The issue that will keep IOC from adding one weight class to the program is that they can’t add just one. They would have to add three (one each for MFS, WFS, and GR). We could argued till we’re blue in the face that would

Be the right thing to do. But unfortunately I don’t see it happening.

It won’t happen so long as we remain a fringe sport, which I don’t see changing any time soon.

I wish the wrestling community would just disregard the olympics as another tournament to wrestle in and put all the attention on the WC’s.

Unfortunately I don’t see the Olympics ever losing that allure as the ultimte accomplishment in sport.

From a logistics standpoint 8 weights isn't much harder to pull off than 6. From the IOC point of view though, it is a zero sum game and in order to add crap like BMX they have to reduce in other areas. You will never see a reduction in swimming or track and field so suggesting that is a waste of time.

Edited by spladle

I think they all stay put through 2019. It's 2020 that gets weird. I can see ZV and Ringer going up and Cox going down. I think Dake goes back down and challenges JB...Nolf, Martinez, Cenzo...Alright, I'll try not to get too far ahead, but the 2020 cycle is super exciting from our current vantage point!

I started to do that last week Taylor/Cox/Zahid/Ringer/Nickel/Mymar..... the other guys who's names are popping out

And then down a weight JB/Dake/Imar/Cenzo/Nolf/Green and a slew of other college kids busting on the scene at the time

Those 2 weights.... man....

Above that Snyder all day, below it likely era of Zain Train dominance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Edited by spladle08

I think when we discuss Cox we are looking at someone who is not totally dedicated to the sport. If he was we would be seeing Snyder type results. When he is on and driven I do not see anyone touching him. He seems to wrestle often without any fire in the belly and doesn't appear to go for the win hard. Close matches that should be blowouts.

I think when we discuss Cox we are looking at someone who is not totally dedicated to the sport. If he was we would be seeing Snyder type results. When he is on and driven I do not see anyone touching him. He seems to wrestle often without any fire in the belly and doesn't appear to go for the win hard. Close matches that should be blowouts.

Agreed and you'll likely get some pushback from the "he has 2 world medals, whatever you ever done" crowd, but... after college or at some point didn't he express being done with the "wrestling chapter" of his life, I know there were like football and musical aspirations... and he talked about wrestling taking up a lot of time and keeping him from becoming like a well rounded person.... I think at some point he realized this was what he was great at... but I think had he had an opportunity down a different avenue he'd have taken it.

So yes, similar to Kyrgios in Tennis who says "it'd be better to be an NBA star that's what I want to do but I'm great at tennis So that's why I play"

I think Cox would prefer to be great at something else, but wrestling is the only current avenue that affords him a good life, so he grinds it out.

J'den recently moved to Colorado to the Olympic Training Center. So I'd say he's all in.

If he goes all in at any point and decides to become as dominant as possible, he will win everything. Olympics included.... well not down a weight Yaz ain't losing anything through 2024, But...... if he is wrestling Mexico's Rep (tried to think of the worst possible opponent) up 2-1 with a minute and a half left, sweating like a beer on my porch this summer, backing up hoping he's done enough. Well he will forever underachieve (world bronze... pretty stellar underachieve)

In Paris he just didn't have it in those semis, but in Rio..... attacking Cox doesn't lose to Yasar. Ok I'm done in this topic. :) go Zahid

Edited by spladle08

If he goes all in at any point and decides to become as dominant as possible, he will win everything. Olympics included.... well not down a weight Yaz ain't losing anything through 2024, But...... if he is wrestling Mexico's Rep (tried to think of the worst possible opponent) up 2-1 with a minute and a half left, sweating like a beer on my porch this summer, backing up hoping he's done enough. Well he will forever underachieve (world bronze... pretty stellar underachieve)

In Paris he just didn't have it in those semis, but in Rio..... attacking Cox doesn't lose to Yasar. Ok I'm done in this topic. :) go Zahid

8 weight classes he wins gold. But yaz or sudlalaev at 86, or Snyder and Sudalaev at 97. I just don't think he has enough offense to get by all of that. Especially in an era where scoring wrestlers seem to do the best.

8 weight classes he wins gold. But yaz or sudlalaev at 86, or Snyder and Sudalaev at 97. I just don't think he has enough offense to get by all of that. Especially in an era where scoring wrestlers seem to do the best.

Yeah, the more I stewed on it, if it stays as-is and Saduleav does indeed go up and mess around with Snyder... J Cox could end up doing the wise thing (for the history books) and what I figured Saulaeav would do.....and snatch up a couple of world medals at a "non olympic weight" I'd put him in the mix for Gold.... but like you said and I believe, the leap up to Snyder's weight is likely too much, and then you have to overcome Snydman and even going down, it's hard enough making the team much less contending with Yaz.

While I don't see an Olympic gold in his future he could "James Green" some world finals appearances for sure.

Edited by spladle08

Yeah, the more I stewed on it, if it stays as-is and Saduleav does indeed go up and mess around with Snyder... J Cox could end up doing the wise thing (for the history books) and what I figured Saulaeav would do.....and snatch up a couple of world medals at a "non olympic weight" I'd put him in the mix for Gold.... but like you said and I believe, the leap up to Snyder's weight is likely too much, and then you have to overcome Snydman and even going down, it's hard enough making the team much less contending with Yaz.

While I don't see an Olympic gold in his future he could "James Green" some world finals appearances for sure.

Guy is stuck between three guys who will end their careers as in the conversation of GOAT's. Reminds me of that Iranian guy; loses to Belaglasov in 1988 and then Smith in 1992. He really had nowhere to go.

J'den recently moved to Colorado to the Olympic Training Center. So I'd say he's all in.

Was just about to make this exact reply. And I’ll add in that he’s extremely talented in a number of areas. So wrestling is far from the only avenue for him to be successful.

i keep coming back to this:

if they are worried about medal count... why dont they actually have a bronze medal match.

6 weights with double Bronze equates to 24 medals.

Increase to 8 weight classes with an actual Bronze medal match and you could maintain the 24 total medals.

6 weights with double Bronze equates to 24 medals.

Increase to 8 weight classes with an actual Bronze medal match and you could maintain the 24 total medals.

Won't happen.  Olympic movement is now focused on spreading the medals around to more nations.