Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

#TaylorTuesday

The difference between Taylor and the Vikings is with Taylor we all still believe he will get there. With the Vikings, in your heart, you know they are going to let you down.

just like vikings fans...

This board is going to be tasty if Taylor wins gold.  Even tastier if he goes 0-1.  

HERESY!

On an unrelated note, I just purchased a significant amount of Orville Redenbacher stock with the intention to short on September 9th.

Just as nobody said he’s never accomplished anything, yet that was the angle taken by Tbar, nobody said he wasn’t a good wrestler, yet that’s the angle taken again.

The few on here who so vehemently “defend” him whenever he’s not spoken about as the greatest in the country aren’t FORCED to defend him at all. DT doesn’t need defenders, his results speak for themselves. It’s those so easily offended feeling the need to defend their own emotions.

Edited by Lurker

I want to see Taylor win a gold because if he chooses to go the college coaching route that ups his street cred considerably which makes D1 wrestling more interesting because it will be at a program not called PSU.

But something tells me he is going to choke.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I want to see Taylor win a gold because if he chooses to go the college coaching route that ups his street cred considerably which makes D1 wrestling more interesting because it will be at a program not called PSU.

But something tells me he is going to choke.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There's a vast gulf between "choking" and "not winning a gold medal," even more so when Yazdani is at the same weight 

There's a vast gulf between "choking" and "not winning a gold medal," even more so when Yazdani is at the same weight

Even more if Saduleav is there in 2020.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lets see. 4 time NCAA finalist and Two time champ. Two time Hodge winner. World cup champ by pinning defending Olympic gold medalist. Yarygin champ. Pan Am champ.

What is your idea of Great?

someone whom you would remember in ten years if they retired today.

Big Taylor fan here and I have to admit one of the bigger sources of entertainment on this board for me is that it bothers so many that he's so good. That he's great. He may very well be the best wrestler in the world in his weight class. He's demolished several of the top guys. . When he went beast mode, folkstyle at Yarygin I just about flipped over the breakfast table where the computer sits, as I leaped into the air (about 2 inches off the ground). I can't see any result at world's other than Taylor coming home with hardware.

Meh, Taylor as a special over the top wunderkind is a cliche at this point. His fantasy record is something like 1,000,000,000 to 4.

Meh, Taylor as a special over the top wunderkind is a cliche at this point. His fantasy record is something like 1,000,000,000 to 4.

If wrestling was a video game in the 90s, Taylor would be the greatest ever, as video games' attributes could not accurately portray strength and whatever it is that Dake and Burroughs have that he doesn't have quite as much as. 

To further my analogy, think of Tecmo Super Bowl: all the best defensive players were the fastest, no matter their position. Reggie White was faster than the wide receivers in the open field. 

The way this board works, his fantasy fantasy record is even better than his fantasy record. 

If wrestling was a video game in the 90s, Taylor would be the greatest ever, as video games' attributes could not accurately portray strength and whatever it is that Dake and Burroughs have that he doesn't have quite as much as.

To further my analogy, think of Tecmo Super Bowl: all the best defensive players were the fastest, no matter their position. Reggie White was faster than the wide receivers in the open field.

Deion Sanders as a defensive back was my go to guy to get qb sacks in that game. Edited by BigTenFanboy

this is a tremendous is slightly obscure analogy.

Thanks FT. It’s not the Wheaties box his coach wanted him to have but it’s pretty special on its own.

PS. Nice to see teammate Andrew Long catch a break here as well.

Edited by headshuck

Of course there is some reciprocity involved. I recently read a post suggesting there was no way Dake could beat Taylor at 86kg now; that's obviously a bit delusional and how could it not ignite some of the haters?

Is it really true that Taylor takes his opponents as given? I don't think it is, making a world team will dramatically influence the caliber of wrestler "they put in front of him." He's obviously really good and has some great international wins to his belt, I think he'll make the team and bring home a medal. That should ease some of the critics.

Again, he has beaten numerous World medalists already. If he makes World team tonite, he'll probably beat some more World qualifiers.

Flirting with greatness certainly does not imply accomplishing nothing. 

It’s almost as if the Taylor pessimists/haters are necessary to counterbalance his die-hard fans.  Yes, Taylor pinned Yazdani Charati but it was clearly a gas tank issue – Yazdani was wrestling up 26.5 lbs., six months removed from winning Olympic gold. 

Taylor generally gets the benefit of the doubt and is afforded seemingly endless opportunities – he is essentially a constant in the World Cup and in the Beat the Streets events.  Not to say these opportunities are unwarranted but what other non-world team rep. gets similar exposure?

Taylor is great but if one takes a glance at the UWW database and checks ages of World/Olympic medalists, they’ll likely find that a 27 year old that has yet to wrestle in a world championships is a bit behind the curve.

I was told when John Smith retired and took the job at OSU that he was 26, and that the average age of the US World Champion, at that time was 26.  I don't know how accurate that is, but if so then senior citizens Dake and Taylor are great examples of just how difficult it can be to make a World Team in a World Championship Contender Program.  There was a time when Tbilisi was tougher than the World Championships at some weights because there was more than one Russian in each weight.  While it's painful to see medalist contenders or even gold contenders riding the pine, it also makes you appreciate just how freaking tough Jordan Burroughs is.  We are nearing the end of an amazing man's career.  What Jordan Burroughs has meant to USA Wrestling can never be overstated.  

Very valid point. And now the world championships/olympics have multiple Russians in each bracket. If you got through and look at the medalists in each bracket dating back to 1996, it is absolutely dominated by Russians and nations that were soviet states before the breakup. Makes Burroughs run quite amazing really. Would be interesting to see if there are any non former soviets since the break up that match the run he’s been on the last seven years.