49 replies to this topic

#21 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:32 AM

this is true.

Taylor is fascinating for a few reasons. 1) He is a dynamic entertaining wrestler. 2) He flirts with greatness but never obtains it. Its a very dramatic storyline.

Taylor pinned Yazdanicahati in IRAN and had the Iranian crowd cheering him. Yep, he has never accomplished anything.
  • Peso likes this

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#22 ThorsteinV

ThorsteinV
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:27 AM

Taylor pinned Yazdanicahati in IRAN and had the Iranian crowd cheering him. Yep, he has never accomplished anything.

Flirting with greatness certainly does not imply accomplishing nothing. 

It’s almost as if the Taylor pessimists/haters are necessary to counterbalance his die-hard fans.  Yes, Taylor pinned Yazdani Charati but it was clearly a gas tank issue – Yazdani was wrestling up 26.5 lbs., six months removed from winning Olympic gold. 

Taylor generally gets the benefit of the doubt and is afforded seemingly endless opportunities – he is essentially a constant in the World Cup and in the Beat the Streets events.  Not to say these opportunities are unwarranted but what other non-world team rep. gets similar exposure?

Taylor is great but if one takes a glance at the UWW database and checks ages of World/Olympic medalists, they’ll likely find that a 27 year old that has yet to wrestle in a world championships is a bit behind the curve.

• cjc007 and Peso like this

#23 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:54 AM

It’s almost as if the Taylor pessimists/haters are necessary to counterbalance his die-hard fans.  Yes, Taylor pinned Yazdani Charati but it was clearly a gas tank issue – Yazdani was wrestling up 26.5 lbs., six months removed from winning Olympic gold. 

Taylor generally gets the benefit of the doubt and is afforded seemingly endless opportunities – he is essentially a constant in the World Cup and in the Beat the Streets events.  Not to say these opportunities are unwarranted but what other non-world team rep. gets similar exposure?

Taylor is great but if one takes a glance at the UWW database and checks ages of World/Olympic medalists, they’ll likely find that a 27 year old that has yet to wrestle in a world championships is a bit behind the curve.

I look at it the other way around. The haters basically force the fan base to defend him. This thread is just another in a long line of threads being example #1. 

And Taylor can only wrestle the guys they put in front of him, and he has beaten plenty of good guys. He won Yarygin and beat Naifonov along the way and that guy is a terrific wrestler who won Euro's beating Valiev and Gostiev there. Taylor manhandled him. 

At some point you'd think the haters would acknowledge him as a good wrestler. Easy to be a critic.

Edited by TBar1977, 13 June 2018 - 02:11 AM.

#24 NJWC

NJWC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:56 AM

To think, the PSU lacky takes shots at Gilman's World Silver Medal, yet conveniently forgets all that you just pointed out.

How convenient.

Taylor is really good, but Dake owned him forever and JB slapped him around as well.  I hope he wins a world gold this year, but if he does the PSU contingent will be unbearable.

#25 ThorsteinV

ThorsteinV
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:33 AM

I look at it the other way around. The haters basically force the fan base to defend him. This thread is just another in a long line of threads being example #1. 

And Taylor can only wrestle the guys they put in front of him, and he has beaten plenty of good guys. He won Yarygin and beat Naifonov along the way and that guy is a terrific wrestler who won Euro's beating Valiev and Gostiev there. Taylor manhandled him. 

At some point you'd think the haters would acknowledge him as a good wrestler. Easy to be a critic.

Of course there is some reciprocity involved.  I recently read a post suggesting there was no way Dake could beat Taylor at 86kg now; that's obviously a bit delusional and how could it not ignite some of the haters?  

Is it really true that Taylor takes his opponents as given?  I don't think it is, making a world team will dramatically influence the caliber of wrestler "they put in front of him."  He's obviously really good and has some great international wins to his belt, I think he'll make the team and bring home a medal.  That should ease some of the critics. 

#26 airmail

airmail

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:35 AM

Hell with one day, let's give him a month of attention.

#gwizzardofoctober

#27 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:59 AM

This board is going to be tasty if Taylor wins gold.  Even tastier if he goes 0-1.  

• bnwtwg likes this

#28 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:03 AM

The difference between Taylor and the Vikings is with Taylor we all still believe he will get there. With the Vikings, in your heart, you know they are going to let you down.

just like vikings fans...

#29 bnwtwg

bnwtwg
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:20 AM

This board is going to be tasty if Taylor wins gold.  Even tastier if he goes 0-1.  

HERESY!

On an unrelated note, I just purchased a significant amount of Orville Redenbacher stock with the intention to short on September 9th.

#30 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:37 AM

Just as nobody said he’s never accomplished anything, yet that was the angle taken by Tbar, nobody said he wasn’t a good wrestler, yet that’s the angle taken again.

The few on here who so vehemently “defend” him whenever he’s not spoken about as the greatest in the country aren’t FORCED to defend him at all. DT doesn’t need defenders, his results speak for themselves. It’s those so easily offended feeling the need to defend their own emotions.

Edited by Lurker, 13 June 2018 - 04:38 AM.

• cjc007 and steamboat_charlie like this

#31 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,679 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:00 AM

1942619.jpg

Edited by MadMardigain, 13 June 2018 - 05:04 AM.

• bnwtwg likes this

#32 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:06 AM

Now seems like as good of a time as ever to start a Dake vs Taylor 2020 discussion.
  • Housebuye likes this
"To use the word domination for me, we do preach that to our guys. We talk about building leads and scoring points, but when I'm talking to an audience it's almost hypacritcal in my mind. We got work to do before we get to the domination." -Tom Brands

#33 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:44 AM

I want to see Taylor win a gold because if he chooses to go the college coaching route that ups his street cred considerably which makes D1 wrestling more interesting because it will be at a program not called PSU.

But something tells me he is going to choke.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#34 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:35 AM

I want to see Taylor win a gold because if he chooses to go the college coaching route that ups his street cred considerably which makes D1 wrestling more interesting because it will be at a program not called PSU.

But something tells me he is going to choke.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There's a vast gulf between "choking" and "not winning a gold medal," even more so when Yazdani is at the same weight 

• cjc007 likes this

#35 cjc007

cjc007

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:57 AM

There's a vast gulf between "choking" and "not winning a gold medal," even more so when Yazdani is at the same weight

Even more if Saduleav is there in 2020.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#36 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,432 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:47 AM

Lets see. 4 time NCAA finalist and Two time champ. Two time Hodge winner. World cup champ by pinning defending Olympic gold medalist. Yarygin champ. Pan Am champ.

What is your idea of Great?

someone whom you would remember in ten years if they retired today.

#37 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,899 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:25 PM

Big Taylor fan here and I have to admit one of the bigger sources of entertainment on this board for me is that it bothers so many that he's so good. That he's great. He may very well be the best wrestler in the world in his weight class. He's demolished several of the top guys. . When he went beast mode, folkstyle at Yarygin I just about flipped over the breakfast table where the computer sits, as I leaped into the air (about 2 inches off the ground). I can't see any result at world's other than Taylor coming home with hardware.

Meh, Taylor as a special over the top wunderkind is a cliche at this point. His fantasy record is something like 1,000,000,000 to 4.

#38 jcjcjc

jcjcjc

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

Meh, Taylor as a special over the top wunderkind is a cliche at this point. His fantasy record is something like 1,000,000,000 to 4.

If wrestling was a video game in the 90s, Taylor would be the greatest ever, as video games' attributes could not accurately portray strength and whatever it is that Dake and Burroughs have that he doesn't have quite as much as. 

To further my analogy, think of Tecmo Super Bowl: all the best defensive players were the fastest, no matter their position. Reggie White was faster than the wide receivers in the open field. 

#39 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:45 PM

The way this board works, his fantasy fantasy record is even better than his fantasy record. 

#40 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,899 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:48 PM

The way this board works, his fantasy fantasy record is even better than his fantasy record.

Still fun to point out the obvious. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users