• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:04 PM

If wrestling was a video game in the 90s, Taylor would be the greatest ever, as video games' attributes could not accurately portray strength and whatever it is that Dake and Burroughs have that he doesn't have quite as much as.

To further my analogy, think of Tecmo Super Bowl: all the best defensive players were the fastest, no matter their position. Reggie White was faster than the wide receivers in the open field.

Deion Sanders as a defensive back was my go to guy to get qb sacks in that game.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 13 June 2018 - 01:05 PM.

#42 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,899 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:49 PM

Deion Sanders as a defensive back was my go to guy to get qb sacks in that game.

DS for all his bravado was the real deal.

#43 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,432 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:54 PM

If wrestling was a video game in the 90s, Taylor would be the greatest ever, as video games' attributes could not accurately portray strength and whatever it is that Dake and Burroughs have that he doesn't have quite as much as. 

To further my analogy, think of Tecmo Super Bowl: all the best defensive players were the fastest, no matter their position. Reggie White was faster than the wide receivers in the open field. 

this is a tremendous is slightly obscure analogy.

#44 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:36 PM

https://youtu.be/MkhNZjTa6_M

#45 NJWC

NJWC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:29 AM

The next guy he hits will be the first. He could have played without a helmet.

#46 Flying-Tiger

Flying-Tiger

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,603 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:58 PM

Here you go shuck, breakfast is on me

luckycharmsunicorn-500x431.jpg

Edited by Flying-Tiger, 15 June 2018 - 11:59 PM.

• headshuck likes this
A Kinder, Gentler Machine Gun Hand

#47 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,761 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:18 AM

Thanks FT. It’s not the Wheaties box his coach wanted him to have but it’s pretty special on its own.

PS. Nice to see teammate Andrew Long catch a break here as well.

Edited by headshuck, 16 June 2018 - 12:34 AM.

#48 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:38 AM

Of course there is some reciprocity involved. I recently read a post suggesting there was no way Dake could beat Taylor at 86kg now; that's obviously a bit delusional and how could it not ignite some of the haters?

Is it really true that Taylor takes his opponents as given? I don't think it is, making a world team will dramatically influence the caliber of wrestler "they put in front of him." He's obviously really good and has some great international wins to his belt, I think he'll make the team and bring home a medal. That should ease some of the critics.

Again, he has beaten numerous World medalists already. If he makes World team tonite, he'll probably beat some more World qualifiers.

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#49 Peso

Peso

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:06 AM

Flirting with greatness certainly does not imply accomplishing nothing. 

It’s almost as if the Taylor pessimists/haters are necessary to counterbalance his die-hard fans.  Yes, Taylor pinned Yazdani Charati but it was clearly a gas tank issue – Yazdani was wrestling up 26.5 lbs., six months removed from winning Olympic gold. 

Taylor generally gets the benefit of the doubt and is afforded seemingly endless opportunities – he is essentially a constant in the World Cup and in the Beat the Streets events.  Not to say these opportunities are unwarranted but what other non-world team rep. gets similar exposure?

Taylor is great but if one takes a glance at the UWW database and checks ages of World/Olympic medalists, they’ll likely find that a 27 year old that has yet to wrestle in a world championships is a bit behind the curve.

I was told when John Smith retired and took the job at OSU that he was 26, and that the average age of the US World Champion, at that time was 26.  I don't know how accurate that is, but if so then senior citizens Dake and Taylor are great examples of just how difficult it can be to make a World Team in a World Championship Contender Program.  There was a time when Tbilisi was tougher than the World Championships at some weights because there was more than one Russian in each weight.  While it's painful to see medalist contenders or even gold contenders riding the pine, it also makes you appreciate just how freaking tough Jordan Burroughs is.  We are nearing the end of an amazing man's career.  What Jordan Burroughs has meant to USA Wrestling can never be overstated.  

• GockeS likes this

#50 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:37 AM

Very valid point. And now the world championships/olympics have multiple Russians in each bracket. If you got through and look at the medalists in each bracket dating back to 1996, it is absolutely dominated by Russians and nations that were soviet states before the breakup. Makes Burroughs run quite amazing really. Would be interesting to see if there are any non former soviets since the break up that match the run he’s been on the last seven years.
  • GockeS likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users