Sign in to follow this  
Witherman

Semi-Off-Topic

what are your thoughts on the recent change in D1 football allowing players to participate in 4 games without burning a shirt?  How could this be applied to wrestling?  25% of the season could be up to 10 matches depending on where used.  You could see redshirts competiting almost an entire schedule with 10 matches allowed, entry to major unattached seasons, etc.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-football-offer-more-participation-opportunities

Hadn't heard that. I'd like this move in D1 wrestling. If a guy goes down for a dual and the next best guy is a freshman under redshirt, I think that kid should be able to wrestle a dual or a couple without losing his redshirt. Now there does need to be a limit, and obviously not post season, but there is no reason that the rule needs to be as rigid as it is now.

Too bad some schools require their students to graduate in 4.5 years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

And some in 4.

Geez - these guys aren't professional athletes - let them get their degrees and move on with their lives.

According to an article in today's The Record (sorry it won't link) the NCAA also amended their rules on transfers.

An athlete no longer needs permission from their coach or school to transfer and receive financial aid.

They also tightened the rules on tampering.

The article specifically mentioned football for the 4 game rule.

But it said "college athletes" when referencing transfers. 

That should mean it applies to all sports.

According to an article in today's The Record (sorry it won't link) the NCAA also amended their rules on transfers.

An athlete no longer needs permission from their coach or school to transfer and receive financial aid.

They also tightened the rules on tampering.

The article specifically mentioned football for the 4 game rule.

But it said "college athletes" when referencing transfers. 

That should mean it applies to all sports.

doesn't do anything about conference specific cancel rules though...

doesn't do anything about conference specific cancel rules though...

Was watching a story about this on ESPN.

Apparently,there's a lot of concerns about "pilfering" players,especially in the SEC.

They refer to the inter-conference transfer restrictions as "The Saban Rule".

Edited by rpbobcat

Not sure that I care for the rule.  We used to wrestle a program that had kids wrestling varsity until they reached the redshirt max of matches/dates and then magically "redshirted" these kids, who had no injuries whatsoever.  Seems this allows a coach to throw in a promising redshirt guy to tide the program over for almost half a season (some teams only play 10 regular season games) until a starter returns from injury.  Not what the intent of redshirting is or ever was.  Seems this was done to help coaches milk more eligibility out of kids.  JMHO

Not sure that I care for the rule.  We used to wrestle a program that had kids wrestling varsity until they reached the redshirt max of matches/dates and then magically "redshirted" these kids, who had no injuries whatsoever.  Seems this allows a coach to throw in a promising redshirt guy to tide the program over for almost half a season (some teams only play 10 regular season games) until a starter returns from injury.  Not what the intent of redshirting is or ever was.  Seems this was done to help coaches milk more eligibility out of kids.  JMHO

The rule only applies to D1 football programs.

I know most  P5 and G5 programs play 12 regular season games.

Other D1 programs seem to play 11-12 regular season games.

It seems that the rule change is aimed at larger programs where it would be equal to of their 1/4 regular season games.

It would seem that the rule could be tweaked to be 1/4 of any D1 school's regular season games.

The rule does permit the 4 games to apply to  regular season,bowls or playoffs and they don't have to be consecutive.

This could help some programs where top players skip bowl games to avoid injury before the draft.

I do see some benefits,especially in sports like wrestling where guys get "dinged" all the time.

Am I looking at this wrong? I don't see this as a change in numbers. The redshirt rule was 30% recently anyway- which rounds up. .30*12=3.6=>4.

The difference is that they now don't all have to be in the first half of the season.

what are your thoughts on the recent change in D1 football allowing players to participate in 4 games without burning a shirt?  How could this be applied to wrestling?  25% of the season could be up to 10 matches depending on where used.  You could see redshirts competiting almost an entire schedule with 10 matches allowed, entry to major unattached seasons, etc.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-football-offer-more-participation-opportunities

I'm "pro".