Seena

Valencia vs. Dake

Honestly, I'm really surprised by all the negative comments.  Dake and Valencia are both world class and I honestly believe that both of them are top 8 in the world.  Valencia is really, really good for a sophomore in college and has continued to show that he is always showing growth.  Great and close matches by 2 amazing wrestlers.  

The only bummer about Final X is that it's just like most finals matches; boring with people playing defense to protect a win or not make a mistake.  I've always felt that quarterfinals and semifinals are more exciting than the finals.  

In order for exposure to receive additional points, the opponent must be returned to a defenseable position, i.e. Belly down for the uninitiated... Z never got back to that so the additional rolling around did not account for anything...

Absolutely scored correctly...

As to Valencia, I am sort of getting the same vibe I got with Cox. We will see. [/font][/color]

What vibe is that? Keeping Dake and Taylor off world/Olympic teams and winning world/Olympic medals? Cause that would be a pretty damn good vibe. And Valencia certainly has the ability to do that in the next few years.

I think the mistake that a lot of people are making and have been making for some time is thinking that wrestling a match where the score is close with Dake is the same thing as being close to beating Dake. People kept saying that about Taylor until it became obvious that Dake just had his number. People said it about Howe. Now they are saying it about Ringer and Zahid. KD is really good at winning when the score is close and winning ugly. It may feel like you are right there, so close to beating him, but he will beat you 9 out of 10 or 10 out of 10 times.

JB is better than Dake. Cox was just too big for him. But outside of that, there is a huge field of US wrestlers who have wrestled matches with Dake where the score was close, but who are not close to beating Dake.

I agree as well. I never thought Ringer was that close and feel the same with Zahid even though that ankle pick was world class but it was off of Dake's little squat stance he does often, chances are he will never do that again.

Dake did struggle to get to Zahid's legs and when he did, Zahid showed how slippery he can be.

As for the gut, if Dake didn't rush the other turns, match 2 could've been a tech.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ZV to 86 kg. The sooner the better. If his goal is to beat out Dake for a nonOlympic weight, he’s getting idiotic advice. I think he’ll have an easier time at 86 kg and it’s a better weight for him and his career to boot. ZV might never beat Dake but end up on an Olympic team before Dake.

On the trap arm gut Dake had, I was quite surprised that Dake didn’t have the awareness to bring ZV more to his belly. The extra guts clearly were not going to be awarded 2 points.

Someone said ZV was smart not to go to his belly. If ZV was able to resist that, very impressive awareness and ability. Still, I felt Dake could have forced a further turn to belly if he was thinking straight. Seemed like he was too excited and rushed things.

Thoughts?

Edited by nom

Looking at Dake's chest lock when Valencia was in on a double, it appeared that he was close to exposing his own back.  Curious if Valencia might be able to use his length to stretch out Dake a bit further in that position should they meet in the future.

Somehow, some way, Dake remains underrated among wrestling fanatics, which is really bizarre.  I suppose it's because he doesn't win by gaudy margins.  However, those saying Valencia is on equal footing with him from an athletic standpoint must not follow other sports. 

I'd be 100% shocked if Dake returns from Worlds without a medal.  Frankly, I'd be surprised if he doesn't win it all. 

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

He can win it all.  I don't think Dake is underrated, at least not by me.  He is a major stud.  He has proved himself the past few years and this last year especially.  For him to win 4-3 against ZV is saying he has closer competition that anyone gave him credit for.  Dake is on the team and I would expect him to medal.  Chances for a yellow medal are good.

mspart

I too would be surprised if he didn't get a medal. He has a very solid style for international wrestling. World class defense, can score from any position, can rack up points very quickly given his upper body arsenal and part terre offense (best gut in the US). He has a style that can keep lesser competition in the match longer than they should, but the reverse is also true: he can keep himself in the match against anyone in the world and therefore always has a shot to win.

I too would be surprised if he didn't get a medal. He has a very solid style for international wrestling. World class defense, can score from any position, can rack up points very quickly given his upper body arsenal and part terre offense (best gut in the US). He has a style that can keep lesser competition in the match longer than they should, but the reverse is also true: he can keep himself in the match against anyone in the world and therefore always has a shot to win.

i think he will medal too. But if he gets a match early, and gets behind, and there are a few guys who can get him behind, he doesn't really have the offense, nor the pressure to gas those guys, who will block, with no desire to get into any bad position, to come back. Then he has to hope to be carried. This is the bane of defensive wrestlers. On the other hand if he gets a lead, and gets in a scoring situation, he is really good at scoring a few in a hurry, at which point he is almost a lock against anybody without the initials of JB. 

I just don't agree that Dake is all defense or even mostly defense. That's like saying Cox has no offense because he doesn't open up. Both guys have proven to be able to score against the best guys in the planet. Dake has scored on JB and other world medalists offensively. Not sure what more proof you'd need than that. But I guess he "doesn't really have offense."

Edited by wrestlingnerd