So the multiple wins they both have within the last year to fifteen months over olympic/world champs and medalists, their very recent Yarigan medals, are because of Americanized officials?

You’re going to have to do better than that my friend.

Yazdani was a fluke.

I thought I told you you were going to have to do better than that. First, it remains to be seen whether or not Yazdsni was a fluke. Second, that had has nothing to do with Dake. And finally one match does not account for all the other result I pointed out among the two athletes.

You should stop trying. You’re not doing yourself any favors.

Edited by Lurker

I don't care for Taylor's antics after he wins either, but his talent and exciting style makes up for it in my eyes.

I'll even give him a pass for the way he acted in the heat of the moment when he lost to Cox. That was a really screwy situation and emotions were running high.

But the Twitter situation w/ Cox was inexcusable..Even if he had those thoughts, and even if they were right, it was really bad form for him to go public with them.....This error in judgement was not enough for me to stop rooting for the guy, but there's no way I would ever defend those actions. That was just really bad....

I do give him a lot of credit for persevering through all the Dake, Burroughs and Cox losses to make a team.

Pretty much my thoughts, as well. I could care less about the post-match antics. But I did lose some respect for him with the Twitter comment. I know he felt he had the ability to win that tournament, but given he's faltered in much less pressure packed situations than J'den did last year, he had no real room to make that comment.

He's still a very dynamic and exciting wrestler, and now representing our country, so I'll be rooting for him. He's looked great recently, but wasn't challenged in making the team this year. We've had other great representatives that have picked up big wins throughout the year and never brought home hardware from worlds. Him getting a medal this year is far from a guarantee.

Not that rankings mean anything but UWW currently has 86kg as:

1. Naifonov (Taylor pinned him at Yarygin semis)

2. Taylor (USA)

3. Erdin (TUR) (Taylor pinned him at Yarygin finals)

4. Torreblanca (Taylor beat him at least twice, both were close matches)

5. Gostiev (AZE) (Taylor teched him 12-2 at World Cup)

8. Yazdani (IRI) (First off, how did Yazdani drop to 8, did he lose recently? Taylor pinned Yazdani at World Cup in Iran.)

So IMO, Taylor absolutely has the talent to win World gold. But he is going to have a huge target on his back at the World Championships. I'm sure all of the above guys at 86 would love to knock off Taylor in Budapest and they will probably throw the kitchen sink at him. I'm very sure that IRI, RUS, TUR and AZE and others remember that Taylor pinned Yazdani in Iran and pinned Naifonov and Erdin at the Yarygin.

Anything can happen at Worlds, but if Taylor brings his full firepower in each and every match and does not let up, he'll probably be ok.

Having confidence in one's ability is crucial to success, what Taylor did last night was put it on a microphone.  Does he do that if his matches were in Lincoln or Bethlehem?  Probably not, but I like the  confidence and it would not surprise me at all if he wins a World title this year.  In fact, it would not surprise me if he wins multiple world titles.

And I would say that for a freestyler from any school assuming I thought he had the skills!!  DT has the skills!

Ranking Name Country Previous Ranking

1 Hassan Yazdani Charati IRI 1

2 David Taylor USA 2

3 Artur Naifonov RUS 3

4 Vladislav Valiev RUS 4

5 Dauren Kurugliev RUS 5

6 Kamran Ghasempour IRI 6

7 Shamil Kudiyamagomedov ITA 7

8 Alexander Gostiev AZE 9

9 Yurieski Torreblanca CUB 11

10 Selim Yasar

Having confidence in one's ability is crucial to success, what Taylor did last night was put it on a microphone.  Does he do that if his matches were in Lincoln or Bethlehem?  Probably not, but I like the  confidence and it would not surprise me at all if he wins a World title this year.  In fact, it would not surprise me if he wins multiple world titles.

And I would say that for a freestyler from any school assuming I thought he had the skills!!  DT has the skills!

Just like James Green and Jordan Burroughs wouldn't do the Go Big Red chant at State College or Bethlehem.

So what if he runs his mouth a little. I enjoy needling a couple of PSU groupies, but DT seems like a good dude.

I hope he kicks ass.

I do too but Yaz is just to much. Basically really good guys, in the US, and internationally are trying to sneak in results with GOAT category wrestlers of JB, Yaz, Sudalaev, and KS. And in 2020 Sudalaev, who is technically the best may end up in tweeter territory. Tough cut and same day weigh in, or give up size.

Taylor was getting pummeled up to that point? Seriously? He was winning the match prior to the sequence that led to the fall, had given up one takedown. But he was being pummeled? Come on man.

Having said that, Taylor wrestles a very high pace that wears people out. Now I’m not saying another win against Yaz is anywhere near guaranteed. And I agree with you, yes Taylor gassed him. But seriously, be accurate at least.

Edited by Lurker

Well, it is my hope that DT brings home a medal/title in Budapest. I think his results over the last year or so have been very good, I hope that he can continue to train with confidence and improve various aspects of his game. I would like to see him go to the World's with the attitude that he can win it all. This hope goes for all our wrestlers as well.

I wonder if some people don't have a clue about Taylor's history over the past two years,  In fact, I don't know that anyone's list (including JB and KS) of wins is as impressive as Taylor's.   Take a look.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6213576-david-taylors-last-2-years-prove-hes-world-class

And here is  a list a year prior (May 2017)  and doesn't include wins since that time,. Taylor has wins over nine different guys with senior level World or Olympic hardware. And many more wins over other top 20 ranked guys in the world.

• ​Sharif Sharifov, AZE - 2012 Olympic gold
  • Hassan Yazdani, IRI - 2016 Olympic gold
  • Yabrail Hasanov, AZE - 2016 Olympic bronze
  • Dato Marsagishvili, GEO - 2012 Olympic bronze
  • Livan Lopez Azcuy, CUB - 2012 Olympic bronze
  • Magomed Kurbanaliev, RUS - 2016 world champ
  • Alireza Karimi, IRI - 2015 world bronze
  • Istvan Vereb, HUN - 2013 world bronze
  • Jake Herbert, USA - 2009 world silver
Edited by dmm53

Antics aside, I think DT has a good shot at coming home with a medal -- especially with the goofy 2 Bronze format.  Anything can, and has, happened at that level though, so it is far from a guarantee.  The draw will likely matter in DT's case.  And although they may not have been in peak form (clearly Yazdani wasn't), DT has beaten enough top International guys that you have to believe he has a good shot to bring home a medal (although I don't see Gold being likely).  His Yargin title really impressed me.

Deserved or not, his confidence will only help him in Budapest too.  I also think getting a lot of time in with Dake, Cox and Burroughs will help too.  At this point, I can't imagine he gets too much out of rolling with Cael, Casey and Nickal.  I was glad to see Dake come down to PSU to train with him a bit.  Hope to see more of that kind of thing (not just with DT, but all the guys).

Taylor was getting pummeled up to that point? Seriously? He was winning the match prior to the sequence that led to the fall, had given up one takedown. But he was being pummeled? Come on man.

Having said that, Taylor wrestles a very high pace that wears people out. Now I’m not saying another win against Yaz is anywhere near guaranteed. And I agree with you, yes Taylor gassed him. But seriously, be accurate at least.

Here is the match. Yazdani scored all his points on push outs. Taylor didn't really get to his offense until after it was 3-0, have to wonder if that was the strategy and if we see it again at Worlds. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Instead of bragging about potential gold medals, maybe Taylor could show some humility and just wrestle.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

DT just gets douchier and douchier.  Who the hell rents out a bar for a "celebration" for MAKING the team?