TobusRex

Define "hammer" for me

As an oldtimer I always considered "hammers" to be guys who were studs at matwork. Guys who brutalized the dude on bottom for tons of points/falls. Guys like Zain Retherford. But I saw another thread where Kyle Synder is referred to as a "hammer". Kyle, great as he is and I'm a big fan, was never a "hammer" using my definition. His mat work was okay, when he bothered to ride, but I always thought of Kyle as a takedown artist, not a hammer. I've also seen great wrestlers referred to as "hammers" generally, not referring to a particular skillset (such as Kyle).

Please define "hammer" in your terms as applied to wrestlers.

Edited by TobusRex

g4kvkmluwbivy1iyq9sg.jpg

You couldn’t touch him. Heck people were even telling him not to hurt them. You had to pray if you wants to make it. Dude was pretty legit, almost too legit if you ask me.

Yes in today’s terms a hammer has become interchangeable with any form of domination rather than just the guys that can ride and turn you like a rented mule. I would at least say it needs to be a more physical style wrestler to really be a hammer. I’m today’s terms I’d accept a interpretation of hammer from neutral if the wrestler physically style let him just move his opponent where ever he wanted. But just because you are smooth at scoring from neutral I wouldn’t count that as being a hammer.

Edited by MadMardigain

A little trivia.

I met MC Hammer in an airport bookstore years ago.

Based on seeing him on tv, I always thought he was kind of short and skinny.

I’d say he was actually about 6’ and 190 lbs when I talked with him.

Some say that Bo Nickal picked up some of his footwork from watching old MC Hammer music videos.

You be the judge!

A little trivia.

I met MC Hammer in an airport bookstore years ago.

Based on seeing him on tv, I always thought he was kind of short and skinny.

I’d say he was actually about 6’ and 190 lbs when I talked with him.

Some say that Bo Nickal picked up some of his footwork from watching old MC Hammer music videos.

You be the judge!

Waiting for the trivia

You can be a hammer on top, and you can also just be a straight up hammer.  What happens when you have a hammer on top that gets teched by Snyder?  Is the guy that got teched still a hammer or does he lose his tool status?

There is no "rule" in the tool industry that says a hammer cannot be hammered.  Just because it was hammered, does not change the fact that it was/is still, in fact, a hammer!

You can be a hammer on top, and you can also just be a straight up hammer.  What happens when you have a hammer on top that gets teched by Snyder?  Is the guy that got teched still a hammer or does he lose his tool status?

sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail?

I'd think getting teched by Snyder, especially in FS, wouldn't rate getting your "hammer" status revoked!

Metcalf and Zain definitely. Spencer Lee. Jason Nolf. 

Spencer Lee will be the best of the bunch (and that's saying something in that group of badasses), and is the very definition of a "hammer". His domination at NCAAs blew me out of the water.

Edited by TobusRex

Zain - hammer

Dake - chain saw

Gilman - monkey wrench

Kyle - angle grinder

Burroughs - impact drill

Stieber- vise grip

Taylor - nail gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does that make PSU a reloader? 

With transfers much easier now does that make everyone else besides the major team like a Home Depot rent a tool? 

Why when I see the name Milikus I think Milkin' us? 

g4kvkmluwbivy1iyq9sg.jpg

You couldn’t touch him. Heck people were even telling him not to hurt them. You had to pray if you wants to make it. Dude was pretty legit, almost too legit if you ask me.

Yes in today’s terms a hammer has become interchangeable with any form of domination rather than just the guys that can ride and turn you like a rented mule. I would at least say it needs to be a more physical style wrestler to really be a hammer. I’m today’s terms I’d accept a interpretation of hammer from neutral if the wrestler physically style let him just move his opponent where ever he wanted. But just because you are smooth at scoring from neutral I wouldn’t count that as being a hammer.

Good at plagiarizing music; bad at money management.

I've always thought of it as a guy who is a phenomenal mat wrestler from the top position but does it in a very physical manner.  A guy like Logan Steiber who will force his will on you to turn you.  By the time he's finished with you, you can't wait to get off the mat.  Zain Retherford comes to mind as well.