Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

Little Rock names Head Coach.

I believe Arkansas Little Rock is going D1, more details on the hire:

Seems to be well respected everywhere he goes, I like the hire.

Agree. Good to see a D1 Program in this region.

Maybe I missed it, but what Wrestling Conference will they compete? Southern Conf, Big 12 ?

Agree. Good to see a D1 Program in this region.

Maybe I missed it, but what Wrestling Conference will they compete? Southern Conf, Big 12 ?

I'd guesstimate the Southern. Big 12 would eat them alive (not that the Big 12 is all that great anymore). I'd be happy to see them join the Big 12 though, would be better for the program.

Given the following from Foley’s mailbag on June 1, is this perhaps a bit underwhelming?

“I have heard big names! Don't want to drop them here since I haven't been able to check the status of the interviews, but from what I hear it's attracting a good number of candidates who are optimistic about the area and about the idea of building something 100 percent in their image.”

I wonder what the salary is for this job.

Wow.  Are they gonna be D2 or what?

I'd have gone after Pat Smith. He lives in Arkansas the last I heard.

Too much liquid baggage.  Plus, he'll make more than twice as much in his current role as a club coach there.  Erisman will do a good job.  ADs are doing a better job of finding the best coaches, as opposed to the most credentialed athlete.  

Edited by vhsalum

Too much liquid baggage.  Plus, he'll make more than twice as much in his current role as a club coach there.  Erisman will do a good job.  ADs are doing a better job of finding the best coaches, as opposed to the most credentialed athlete.  

I know he's had problems, but the man was an excellent college wrestler. If he's overcome his personal issues I'm sure Pat would be outstanding. That said I understand the reticence to hire somebody with that kind of baggage.

Hopefully Erisman is a huge success and the sport really blossoms at Ark-Little Rock.

I know he's had problems, but the man was an excellent college wrestler. If he's overcome his personal issues I'm sure Pat would be outstanding. That said I understand the reticence to hire somebody with that kind of baggage.

I'd assume that even if they wanted to hire him, they're probably not permitted to hire a convicted felon.

so far I haven't seen anything that says Pat applied. and maybe he didn't knowing his past would factor in. Pat also had a significant health concern last year that possibly plays into his decision making and / or maybe is enough that we should give the guy a break re past problems and just wish him well.    

This is terrible. If you're starting a program you need a big name, I'm sorry this program gets dropped in 5 years.

How many big names are there in wrestling that actually move the needle among recruits and fans? Of that group, how many are realistic head coach candidates? Of those, how many aren't already head coaches in better situations than Little Rock? I think the list of big names they had any shot with is pretty small.

Does anyone see this as of right now a 6 figure position?

If it is under 6 figures, what big name coach in a very weak geographical area is going to want to start a new program from scratch?

People need to be realistic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Does anyone see this as of right now a 6 figure position?

If it is under 6 figures, what big name coach in a very weak geographical area is going to want to start a new program from scratch?

People need to be realistic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maybe there are incentives tied to this gig?

Also, does anyone know if this position is similar to the Fresno State job in that X-amount of student-wrestlers must come from a specific geographic region, specifically Arkansas. I have to imagine that the AD understands the landscape of Arkansas wrestling as it stands now, specifically when thinking long term.

Also, Erisman had his fingers in those eastern states, and Oklahoma. My guess is that the first few rosters have a good mix of kids from PA, NJ, some Ohio, New York and Illinois and some Oklahoma, given its proximity. I am going to guess, too, that you're going to see more of those kids from Texas taking a good, hard look at UALR.

How many transfers from four year schools who might want to start in D1 sooner than later will they have? Does Erisman hit the NJCAA circuit, too? The 125 from Wyoming (by way of Uzbekistan) would have been a really nice get, as would have the 133 from Iowa Central, who is a native of Georgia (the state, not the country).