Billyhoyle

Flo Announcers

Why do both announcers do play by play and color commentary simultaneously?  Do they have something against the standard two-man-booth strategy of having one play by play and one commentator?  The result is that both end up talking over each other and it is just a constant stream of babble. Whenever something exciting happens, both start at the same time..It's ridiculous.   I get that actually getting the stream to work is more important, but this has always bugged me.  

If it's an ego thing by the announcers where nobody wants to be the #2, maybe they can take turns between matches or events so it is more enjoyable for the viewers.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Some of my favorite broadcast have one person doing basic play by play and the other adding background and stat information in. We can see the video as it is paying so the play by play doesn’t have to be much so the added commery and strategy stuff rather than play by play is usually what helps make the broadcast useful.

They're better than the announcers that Foxsports has covering the WorldCup.

No clue without the US in it all I’ve looked at is highlights. Only time I care about soccer is the World Cup and without the Stars and Stripes the upset are the only think making this year even remotely interesting.

No clue without the US in it all I’ve looked at is highlights. Only time I care about soccer is the World Cup and without the Stars and Stripes the upset are the only think making this year even remotely interesting.

Point is even the "big" production companies can offer weak/bad commentary.

Yes, everyone can do a bad job.  I just figured I'd make a suggestion that I think would help the broadcast.  Their method of commentary diverges from a very standard style that you see across American sports. Maybe the way they announce is the best, and it is the most fair to have both announcers have the same role, but I don't think think it is. 

Is it a product of not putting as much into it since he US audience isn’t as invested this cycle or do you think FoxSports would be just as laxed if the US audience was a little more invested in the round play? I haven’t watched enough to know but would think they may have went more B team when they knew they were losing views reguarless. US still has an international fan base but not near as good as if they have at getting past group play. Edited by MadMardigain

Two-person booth works well for live sports but not so much for roadtrip. Cut the Flobros some slack. They've been focused on what really matters: ROADTRIP!

Edited by jon

They're better than the announcers that Foxsports has covering the WorldCup.

I'm a reasonably critical person with announcing, but I've enjoyed the commentary. I don't love the all-American pairing that has an older guy doing color and I think the Latin pair are a bit clunky at times because of some language limitations with the play-by-play guy, but I like the rest of the pairings. I sometimes think female commentators are trying too hard to use "announcer voices" that resemble a men's style, but I think Aly Wagner is great to listen to--super insightful and natural feel for the emotion and intensity of given moments. From our men's ex-national teamers, I really enjoy Stuart Holden and I think Cobi Jones is decent.

I'm sure the play by play would improve if FLO hired Brent Musberger or Howard Cosell!

Fact is there aren't many pro commentators on real wrestling. But there's still some good ones that Flo should consider tapping into: Lee Roy Smith is superb and probably my favorite. Jack Spates enthusiasm for the sport is still limitless and he knows his ****, too. Flo's problem is they keep getting the young guys who are too interested in being funny or "cool" than just calling it like it is. I'd suggest an old timer like Lee Roy and one of the new guys team up. The old timers make the pertinent comments, the youngsters can make the pithy/funny comments to their heart's content.

Edited by TobusRex

My stream was fine for all 3 Final X. Totally enjoyed all 3.

Joe and Mike, loved the pre and post game. And call me crazy, but I think CP and Bader are very knowledgeable and I enjoy their pbp and commentary.

Great wrestling and great show.

My stream was fine for all 3 Final X. Totally enjoyed all 3.

Joe and Mike, loved the pre and post game. And call me crazy, but I think CP and Bader are very knowledgeable and I enjoy their pbp and commentary.

Great wrestling and great show.

I didn't have issues with the stream either.  This thread is about a simple suggestion that I think would make the announcing better. I never said they weren't knowledgeable. 

I am simply suggesting that picking one to mainly do play by play and the other mainly do color commentary will be far more enjoyable for us as viewers than having both take both roles simultaneously and talking over each other in the process. That's why virtually every announcing booth in sports utilizes the prior strategy-it helps prevent chaos as one announcer can set the pace.  Just watch any baseball, basketball, or football game-too many chefs can ruin a meal.  

On another note: sometimes moments of minimal commentating where you let the viewer watch the wrestling is best.  As another poster said, this isn't radio, and we can see when one athlete is putting a collar tie on another. It's of course difficult to know when to do this, so by no means do I fault them for this.  Only the greats like Vin Scully can really master this skill.  

I didn't have issues with the stream either.  This thread is about a simple suggestion that I think would make the announcing better. I never said they weren't knowledgeable. 

I am simply suggesting that picking one to mainly do play by play and the other mainly do color commentary will be far more enjoyable for us as viewers than having both take both roles simultaneously and talking over each other in the process. That's why virtually every announcing booth in sports utilizes the prior strategy-it helps prevent chaos as one announcer can set the pace.  Just watch any baseball, basketball, or football game-too many chefs can ruin a meal.  

On another note: sometimes moments of minimal commentating where you let the viewer watch the wrestling is best.  As another poster said, this isn't radio, and we can see when one athlete is putting a collar tie on another. It's of course difficult to know when to do this, so by no means do I fault them for this.  Only the greats like Vin Scully can really master this skill.  

Ok, so do we go with CP for pbp and Bader for commentary?

Could Flo could tighten up the commentary for live events?  Sure.  However, these guys love what they do, and I won't fault them for being enthusiastic on the call.  Minor issue, IMO. 

I'll never understand the hate people have for the company.  They've been 99.9% positive for the sport and have allowed me, personally, to watch about 10 times as much wrestling as I ever could before.  My annual subscription fee is the best money I spend all year, every year.  My only gripe is lack of capacity for the biggest events when the webcasts crash.  That does piss me off something fierce. 

Could Flo could tighten up the commentary for live events?  Sure.  However, these guys love what they do, and I won't fault them for being enthusiastic on the call.  Minor issue, IMO. 

I'll never understand the hate people have for the company.  They've been 99.9% positive for the sport and have allowed me, personally, to watch about 10 times as much wrestling as I ever could before.  My annual subscription fee is the best money I spend all year, every year.  My only gripe is lack of capacity for the biggest events when the webcasts crash.  That does piss me off something fierce. 

I have love for the most part for FLO as well, the major problem I have is that they claim they are "taking on the big dogs" such as ESPN & Fox Sports but running an amateur hour operation down there in Texas.

If they are going to present themselves as THE LEADER in wrestling and a front-runner in the digital sports broadcasting space, you better be ready to backup that statement.  Not have your poster child & huge brand ambassador for the company getting drunk and running his mouth on twitter (willie) and have your announcers at what is essentially the superbowl for FLO (their creation & baby) screaming into the microphone like you're calling a middle school state championship basketball game.

Flo has not been '99.9% positive for the sport'. So positive for Frank_Rizzo, who's a fan already and who it seems will tolerate just about everything? Sure. For the sport?? Heck no.

Yearlong lock-in + flaky streaming + offputting personalities + increasingly frivolous messaging (e.g., Billie's "greatest mind" nonsense) is not '99.9% positive for the sport'. Do we not care no more about growing the sport??

Flo's been great for Flo. And for wrestling documentaries. No more and no less.

Edited by jon